Broquet on P1 Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2001, 07:05 PM
GSM21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

Just reading the thread on Optimax being the new Broquet.

And am now wondering if fitting a Broquet to my P1 would improve it anymore? as i am already using Optimax.

Is there anyone out there with a P1 with a Broquet fitted? and what difference if any does it make?

Hope to hear from you guys soon

gavin
Old 23 October 2001, 07:29 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

I think you will find you already have 2 x broquet unit in tank - as do all P1s - fitted at the same time as springs + wheels + spoilers + underseal.

Paul W
Old 23 October 2001, 07:45 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yep I thought they were fitted to P1's and the 22B Type UK's as standard, maybe wrong though.
Old 23 October 2001, 10:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hi Gavin, We did supply Broquet to a P1 owner (having told him that he probably already had Broquet fitted). He reported a marginal improvement in performance and mpg. So it can't do any harm but improvements will not be as significant as a Scoob without Broquet in the first place. David Lock (Broquet guy).
Old 23 October 2001, 11:40 PM
9000RPM
Scooby Newbie

What the hell's a broquet?

9000RPM
Old 24 October 2001, 01:40 AM
jon44w
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

A broquet is a block which sits and dissolves in your fuel tank. It boosts the octane of your petrol without the need to keep adding octane booster.

Ive heard good stories about broquet but the bad thing is that your fuel tank has to be cut to insert the broquet. Its good for 250,000 miles though and means you can fill up on nul and thrash the nuts off your car without performance loss and the fear of pinking.
Old 24 October 2001, 09:42 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
JonW - errr - fuel tank has to be cut????????????

You just take out the fuel sender unit and drop them in - easy 10 min job. (done it myself on 99MY)

All P1's DEFINATELY had 2 fitted as standard by Subaru (UK) Ltd at point of entry.

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2001, 09:49 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

For info on broquet go to http://www.broquet.co.uk/

As said by some, you may find that it is already fitted to the P1

though some may dispute that it is fitted to P1's and also wether it actually does anything if installed, but we won't go there as we've been there before many months ago, and the resulting thread was less than productive.

I run broquet in my MY94 WRX Wagon and it does seem to have smoothed things out a little and given a slight improvement in mpg.

I'm still collecting test data to work this out, and not using the car for a month don't help this, but maybe someday I'll have a decent set of results to show.

As for fitting, you just open up the tank hatches which are located in the boot floor and drop it in, or attach it via monofilliment wire to the fuel sender unit. Should take no more than 15 mins, ok so it took me longer but then I'm a slow old soul The only time I could see you'd need to cut anything would be if you were to fit an inline version, and at that point I think you'd only be looking at cutting the fuel line itself and not the tank.

[Edited by Markus - 10/24/2001 9:51:52 AM]
Old 24 October 2001, 09:54 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

John44w,

sorry, but you are talking crap.

You dont have to cut the fuel tank on a scoob, you just unbolt the fuel pump, and the fuel level indicator sender which are found on either side of the boot floor just behind the rear seats (need to take back seat out on an import) and just pop one in each side then re bolt.

It does not increase ron rating, but is said to have the same effect as increasing ron. It also does not dissolve. It is referred to as an active metal catalyst, and its presence is said to decrease the combustability of the fuel by one of two mechanisms. Exactly how it works no one actually knows which is why many people were sceptical.

bob rawle tried it in his car and used his mapping to see if it improved things. I was never sure of his final verdict but I think it did enable him to advance ignition by a degree or so, but cant be certain, you would have to ask him.

He commented that it increased engine smoothness.

Regardless fo what he said, I fitted it in my last car and noticed improved economy, and smoother pickup/running. For the sake of £100 it does no harm and seems to do good. I dont know if this is a placebo effect, but I dont care. I immediately bought it for my second import.

I honestly think it would be silly to put it in a P1.
Old 24 October 2001, 10:05 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

I added two 8 pellet cones in my Sti and its transormed how the car feels!

The engine is stronger and smoother than before i added it, best value mod i've done.

In actual fact, i was so impressed i bought another one for my Formula One Hovercraft (2 stroke 670cc twin Rotax - 115bhp - very very stressed engine!) and now find it consumes no pistons....! Everyone else using the same motor has problems, and i'm cr@p at setting up 2 strokes!

All in all, i've think they're magic.

Russ
(no connection etc etc...)

Old 24 October 2001, 10:07 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Here we go again ;-)
Old 24 October 2001, 10:59 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Looks that way pete!
Old 24 October 2001, 11:43 AM
Sue
Scooby Regular

I know this may sound dim..(Im a woman, boys..be patient!)
I run a P1 and always fill up with Optimax cos I thought I would get better performance with a higher octane fuel.
This thread seems to suggest that Ive got a Broquet fitted in my tank as standard, which would mean that any fuel that I put in to the car would automatically be increased in octane level
So my question is...is there an upper level where octane level becomes redundant?...or is it a case of the higher the better..cos it seems that potentially I could be putting NUL in the car for a much lower price than I am currently paying and getting much the same performance?..hope that makes sense...but til today I didnt even know what a Broquet was!!!!
Old 24 October 2001, 11:53 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sorry Pete...... What have i done!!

Jza
Old 24 October 2001, 12:18 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Sue - I would be good to get a technical answer on your point. I've heard that the P1's still suffer in performance if you put NUL in there. But if its got a Broquet then why does it ? If you pul SUL in there does it increase the ron rating further ?
Old 24 October 2001, 12:42 PM
z80
Scooby Regular

Re David Lock's reply - Yes I'm the bloke who put extra Broquet in my P1.

There's another link in 'General' where I confirm slight mpg improvement & performance seemed a bit sharper. Worked for me.

Note for Pete Croney - sorry about this. Best mod was your SS down pipe - made huge gains in driveability.

Regards,

Simon
Old 24 October 2001, 01:01 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Broquet does not increase ron. It is supposed to have same effect as increasing ron. It is no substitution for sul and octane booster, but gives good benefits for a one off price of £100 or so.
Old 24 October 2001, 01:34 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

So that we don't do this one all over again, here's the thread... http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=9782

Read it all and make your own mind up.