Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good driving roads around the Lake District

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2000, 08:02 AM
Julian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm travelling up to the Lake District later this week for the first time. Can anyone recommend some good Scooby friendly roads or routes in and around that part of the UK.

Julian
MY99 5Dr

Old 18 October 2000, 09:33 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Julian,

Lots of good roads up there but all depends if you want hilly but wide sweeping stuff or narow, switchabck "oh my God!!" kind of roads

May I suggest a South to North travel from Newby Bridge up along A592 to Bowness-on-Windermere and then onto Ambleside.

Once there you'll be on the A591 and follow that to Keswick.

Takes you past a few good views and the road isn't too silly. But some good twisty stuff and some good overtaking oppos.

If you want some real hardcore stuff, have a look on a map for some of the passes, real switchback stuff.

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Have fun.
Old 18 October 2000, 01:32 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

do a search on the following thread'Kendal run'...you wll find a nice detailed run that was organised a couple of week's ago...It takes in the buttertub's mountain pass..north yorkshire dales..and back into cumbria...
Old 18 October 2000, 01:54 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Munna

I did a search to see the run details without success. Is it in general or somewhere else?

Floyd
Old 18 October 2000, 02:34 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Cool

All of them

Luv'm all.....he he he he

Rum
Old 18 October 2000, 02:49 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

I did N.Yorkshire last August fantastic!!!!

Stayed at the WestEnd guest house as advertised in True Grip. V. nice indeed, even better with the club discount 10% off!

As for the roads, well? !!

James
Old 18 October 2000, 04:13 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

floyd...sorry man it's in the general section..
Old 18 October 2000, 05:33 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

As Ian said, the road between Ambleside and Keswick is great, providing there's not too much traffic on it.

When we tend to go up there (May/June or September) it tends to be a bit busy apart from very early in the morning or late at night, but I would have thought things would have quietened down a bit by now.

Haven't taken the Scoob up there yet ( - looking forward to doing so next year though) but have had loads of fun on this road in my old Primera. It should be a riot in a Scoob.

Pete

Old 18 October 2000, 05:50 PM
Julian
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I may need several tanks of fuel!
Old 18 October 2000, 05:50 PM
Robb
Scooby Regular

Great place, Great Mountains, Great Roads - just watch out for the coaches full of the blue-rinse bigade!

Some of my favourites are:

1. Take the A66(T) out of Keswick until you get to Troutbeck. Turn right on to the A5091 and head for Ullswater. You can continue on the A592 over the Kikstone pass to Ambleside - fantastic route.

2. The road that runs around the South and West coast is quite interesting but can be a bit busy. The last time I was on this route, I came across a bunch of coppers sweeping up the remains of a Ducati 916 - not pretty! You could combine this route with a return trip across the Hardknot and Wrynose passes - not the best of roads from a driving point of view but very spectacular.

Have fun

Rob
Old 18 October 2000, 06:28 PM
Pete N
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's some great ones further south in the Lakes too!

Going from Greenodd up to Coniston is a good one (along the west side of the lake), then across to Hawkshead (too twisty to go fast though). Then the road from Hawkshead up towards Ambleside is always good fun (bit twisty and narrow in places).

And the road from J37 (I think) of the M6 back towards Kendal's a good'un (though many years since i've done that.

Further south in Cumbria, but almost worth the trip is the coast road from Ulverston to Barrow. All types of road - fast & slow, twisty & open, up and down and plenty of overtaking places. Great, great fun, always try to do it whenever I'm home.

Enjoy!!

Old 18 October 2000, 06:33 PM
Pete N
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ooh, just remembered another one! It's great

From the A590 at Gilpin Bridge take the A592/3/4 or something - goes northwards towards Bowness. Starts with lots of straights, then gets twistier and more and more up and down. Downside is lots of caravans

Hmmm, I fancy a trip up there myself now!

Old 18 October 2000, 07:22 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Kirkstone Pass is rather good. there's a warning sign at the beginning. "HIGHEST POINT 1500 FEET ABOVE SEA LEVEL. WINTER CONDITIONS COULD BE DANGEROUS,DRIVE WITH CARE". watch out for coaches.
Old 18 October 2000, 11:46 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You MUST do Hardknott pass from Ambleside/Wrynose pass - narrow, steep (1 in 3 in places) but absolutely top road.

Best thing to do is pull over at the bottom of the main pass and wait for the road to be clear of stragglers and oncoming traffic, then attack it like a rally stage - it's amazing, and you can see far enough ahead to slow when someones coming down. Watch out for bottoming out though!

Steve