Sponsored by:

Road Angel going down the pan ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2006, 02:09 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Road Angel going down the pan ?

Have had a classic RA since they first came out and have always been impressed, however lately despite doing weekly updates it seems to be years out of date regarding fixed camera sites.

Last week I drove past about 35 fixed Gatso & Truvelo sites all round Leeds, Birmingham & London and only one or two beeped but I know most of them have been up for years, are the guys at Blackspot just taking our money and letting the database service go down the pan.

One example is the 14+ cameras on the A65 in leeds, not one came up on RA and I travelled in both directions most of those cameras went up over a year ago.
Old 10 April 2006, 02:17 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanTheMan
Have had a classic RA since they first came out and have always been impressed, however lately despite doing weekly updates it seems to be years out of date regarding fixed camera sites.

Last week I drove past about 35 fixed Gatso & Truvelo sites all round Leeds, Birmingham & London and only one or two beeped but I know most of them have been up for years, are the guys at Blackspot just taking our money and letting the database service go down the pan.

One example is the 14+ cameras on the A65 in leeds, not one came up on RA and I travelled in both directions most of those cameras went up over a year ago.
Dan - that is shocking. My originb2 has only ever failed to see 1 fixed camera in the 4+ years that I have owned it and it was a very new one. With another 5,000 cameras planned, best look at getting a more reliable one... but that does seem excessive as other RA users I know have never mentioned that.
Old 10 April 2006, 02:59 PM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

Shocking but have you actually phoned Blackspot and asked them??
Old 10 April 2006, 03:27 PM
New_scooby_04

My RA2 reported the presence of a whole string of Gatsos along the a12 which weren't there. To be fair, they were temporary roadwork instalations, but I had updated the device the very same day. I guess you do have to cut it some slack with temporary cameras though, as a re-location may occur just before/after a database update- there is a limit to how often they can re-update I guess.

Generally I find the device works very well and Blackspot has always been an efficient company to deal with.

Ns04
Old 10 April 2006, 03:35 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Mine still has average cameras on the Leicester stretch of the M1 and doesn't warn of the new ones in Herts/Beds.
Old 10 April 2006, 06:40 PM
Dewi Rhys
Scooby Regular

Arent a percentage of fixed cameras just duds??? my snooper misses a few out here and there but from what i've heard not all of them are operational anyhoo.
Old 26 June 2006, 12:38 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well I spoke to to the helpdesk at Blackspot and gave them a specific list of cameras that were missing and they were more than helpful and suggested it may be faulty so I have returned it to them for diagnosis. Its one of the very early units (surely out of warranty) with a lifetime subscription so I'm not sure what they will do if it is duff however they have been a great help so far.....watch this space

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2006, 12:57 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I think so many people are just using satnav as a method of detecting camera sites, that Road Angel can clearly see their days are numbered - and are probably putting a bit less effort into keeping the database up-to-date to maintain profit margins.
Old 06 July 2006, 08:01 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Well my RA is back, there was a problem with the firmware, its now spot on and a BIG thumbs up for the guys at Blackspot - excellent customer service