Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New extra MOT/Legislation for modified cars

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=7320
Old 10 April 2006, 10:56 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

No way!!!

Whats next? electronic tagging and speed monitors on our cars?!?!?
Old 10 April 2006, 11:44 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

I was just watching the New Zealand Police on MM last night checking out cars with illegal mods and giving out points and fines. They do the same in Switzerland I believe, and doesn't Germany have a similar strict regime when it comes to modding your car?

As for electronic tagging and speed monitors, it's already here, working and just waiting for the right political climate to fit it. Big brother is already watching our every move, once this lot is in place, we wont be able to get away that fast either.

I wonder if PPP will be included as an aftermarket "super mot" mod!
Old 10 April 2006, 11:58 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Probably a good idea.

Saw a shockingly crap light blue 106 in Morecambe yesterday. Shoddy condition, hacked up. The rear light clusters had been sprayed blue so you could not see the brake lights working.

Should not have been on the road.

Maybe rules such as this might remove some of the crap off our roads. Those aluminium rear bolt on spoilers look lethal. Why should people be able to put what is effectively a knife blade on the back of their car when a manufacturer would never get it approved.
Old 10 April 2006, 12:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Angry

Getting rid of obviously dangerous crap boxes is a good idea. What's not clear is how far this will go. For example, fitting a non standard air filter/exhaust might be included in this, thus bye bye any mods on cars.

We no longer have a police force serving the community, we have a politicised and self serving bunch of fleece merchants hell bent on Mary Whitehouse style dogma.

Yet more examples of our new opressive *banning culture*.
Old 10 April 2006, 01:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent idea .... if you like throwing £1,000s at your car - throw some at the Government for a Super-MOT ..... that way you get a warm feeling knowing that another Chav is born on benefits in a Council Estate somewhere in Liverpool!!

Pete
Old 10 April 2006, 04:53 PM
redragon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Excellent idea .... if you like throwing £1,000s at your car - throw some at the Government for a Super-MOT ..... that way you get a warm feeling knowing that another Chav is born on benefits in a Council Estate somewhere in Liverpool!!

Pete
same old sh## different time

Trending Topics

Old 10 April 2006, 05:52 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The other way that it could go is that all mod's will have to be fitted at an approved centre. Labour charges increase! ouch
Old 10 April 2006, 06:19 PM
murphy54
Scooby Newbie

impossible...
Old 10 April 2006, 08:27 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

Pete
Chavs are dawn sarf Pete!
Old 10 April 2006, 08:29 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Something like this has been circulated around for the last couple of years as a "junk email".. I'm slightly skepticle as the publication isnt mentioned and there is no reference on the page..

Also why would the DVLA have anything to do with this? Surely the VOSA would be organising it.
Old 10 April 2006, 08:40 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Just a thought.. I'm willing to be this appeared on April 1st lol!
Old 10 April 2006, 08:43 PM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Chavs are dawn sarf Pete!
i take offense to that remark!
Old 11 April 2006, 09:59 AM
kapri
Scooby Newbie

Hi Kev Rooney here , yup , the guy that features in that article. I can assure you it's not an April Fool joke, I only wish it was ! I've been working on this for over 2 years now and I can assure you the threat is VERY real . I can post a link in a moment to the details on the DVLA and also to the reply document that has been sent with proposals for a modified class that will protect us all.

ALL the performance orientated mags were contacted over 6 months ago with mixed response. However the article in teh link has created great support from the aftermarket.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/consul...procedures.htm

Paragraph 29 and then look at the recommendations below para 32.

VOSA WILL take it on ONCE DVLA have forced it through Parliament.

Reply document

http://www.nsra.org.uk/editorial13.htm

regards
Kev Rooney
Old 11 April 2006, 10:25 AM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

DVLA sucks C*CK, its official, cos i said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 April 2006, 10:45 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C
Probably a good idea.

Saw a shockingly crap light blue 106 in Morecambe yesterday. Shoddy condition, hacked up. The rear light clusters had been sprayed blue so you could not see the brake lights working.

Should not have been on the road.

Maybe rules such as this might remove some of the crap off our roads. Those aluminium rear bolt on spoilers look lethal. Why should people be able to put what is effectively a knife blade on the back of their car when a manufacturer would never get it approved.
There already are perfectly good 'construction and use' regs regarding unroadworthy cars. The problem is the police don't enforce them.
Old 11 April 2006, 11:31 AM
kapri
Scooby Newbie

Don't feel complacent ,this will only be the thing end of the wedge. C&U ? Lowered your car ? Well you've already fallen foul of C&U cos none of your lights are in the correct place now
Old 11 April 2006, 11:59 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
There already are perfectly good 'construction and use' regs regarding unroadworthy cars. The problem is the police don't enforce them.
True I suppose, but do these cover all potentialy dangerous mods. They are obviously not working.

The German TUV type approval system does ensure parts are of similar quality to manufactures but it pushes up costs and tuners have to become larger and charge more.

A system in between these two is needed. You must admit there are dangerous cars out there. An increase in MOT costs would not be welcome, but it is probably insignificant compared to the increase in insurance you have to factor in when modifying a car (Maybe they could tie the databases together and force people to properly declare modifications too).

I'm not against modification, I like a nicely preped car but the roads round here a awash with hacked up wrecks, covered with undeclared mods.

I suppose the important thing is to stop any changes from effectively banning mods, but still allowing some sensible controls, and for that we need people like Mr Rooney to raise the profile. If you look at the DVLA article, the section that refers covers 'Radically altered vehicles', now that definition will keep the lawyers happy for years.

Last edited by Gary C; 11 April 2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11 April 2006, 12:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Two ways of looking at this. Some "performance parts" which alledge themselves to be better than stock are infact the reverse in quality, durability, and even performance and safety.

Braided brake lines is my current pet favourite ticking time bomb which I'd like to see far stricter controls on.

Brake pads that have inferior cold/cool performance

Other issues such as wheel spacers for oversized wheels and tyres, placeing more leverage forces on wheelbearings and suspension/steering

Lowering kits that cause the vehicle to bottom out or run on the bump stops, as well as dialing in adverse geometry contrary to the ideal settings.

Exhausts that are plainly too loud to be acceptable on a public road and are a nuisence.

Air Filters that coat airflow sensors in oil, affecting performance and emissions.

The problem becomes is when too much control is applied. There has to be limits set out, and that part I think it is needed. But I just know that the way it will be enforced and legislated is going to be so draconian it undermines the whole point of it all - as all companies will do is stamp everythings with "not for road use". And owners will just bung MOTers like they already do with decats.
Old 11 April 2006, 02:00 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Worried.

I have been maintaining my own cars for many years

So fitting new brake pads yourself vs. dealer:
a) bodge them in, lose some of the shims etc., use the incorrect pads without realising, don't tighten everything up properly = accident waiting to happen.
b) no a) wasn't the dealer Dealer bangs the pads in but no more because that is his costed time limit.
c) take your time because you can, check other components in the area while you're there, check the pads frequently and don't wait for the services to spot failures = better than dealer job. Side effect = costs less, and greater choice of components to use.

How do you legislate against a) without outlawing c)?

Like the other thread about MOT's. There is no incentive to pass a cars MOT as the owner has to come back and pay full price again so the MOT station can't lose

A sidelight bulb could be deemed safety-related and not replaceable by the public, therefore would not be allowed to be sold buy a car parts shop
Old 11 April 2006, 04:41 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

You can't legeslate against everything, but some sort of approval for or assesment of modified cars sounds a good idea.

The point about a greatly lowered car is a good example. Car handling seriously affected=dangerous car, Wheel spacers causing premature hub failure, Oversize wheel fouling on arch resulting in steering problems or tyre failure (It happens !).

How would you feel if one of yours was injured or killed due to a poorly modified car ?

But how could an MOT station be expected to judge if the mods made the car dangerous. It would take a trained person to make this judgement and this would have to cost more. Maybe the police or the DOT (or whatever they are called now) should start to enforce the C&U regs.

Last edited by Gary C; 11 April 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11 April 2006, 04:54 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I forsee the people who will gain most from this will be those who manufacture and sell trailors.