Sponsored by:

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2006, 07:53 PM
!NIM!
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed

hi guys and gals im new to this site.ive said good bye to my bmw and now hunting for my 1st impreza .im lookin for a sti type r for about 7.5k.could anyone help me out with things to look out for when buyin an import.the extra things i need to ask when buyin one.i know the spec but not whats goes on making it ready for uk roads.any help would be greatful.cant wait to get 1 hehe.
Old 09 April 2006, 09:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Welcome to SNet

Not very good with classics, especially imports For the UK an import needs a remap to run on our fuel (98RON Opti or 99RON Tesco as opposed to Jap 100RON) or it must use octane booster with every fill-up. A knocklink is a must to keep an eye on the engine with the fueling issues. Speedo needs converting to mph, and preferably the 112mph limiter needs to be removed. Other than that I'll let the experts help you.
Old 10 April 2006, 12:09 AM
!NIM!
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the info dude.
Old 24 January 2009, 05:05 PM
VeilsideWRXUK
Scooby Regular

Assuming that this car is coming over from Japan and not already here.
Check the tyres, a lot of Jap imports come over with snow tyres on. Try and get one with Jap history and authenticated mileage, whilst you may not understand it, it will at least help with the providence of the car when you come to sell it. As previously stated, the jap cars are limited to 115mph but a simple mod undoes this, the speedo will have to be changed from kph to mph, octane booster or a re-map for U.K. fuel. Try and get one with as many mods as possible.Change oil and filter and if not already done and required, get the cam belt changed,(changing the oil pump for an upgraded one, Roger Clarke etc and a new water pump will also help longevity).
Old 24 February 2018, 09:08 PM
big keith
Scooby Regular

7.5k is alot of money however good sti type r grade 4 are bringing good money.What you have to think about is shipping,vat.import duty etc.that will be over £2000.What you have to think about is the yen against the pound.
The fuel issue i have had 4 sti type r and never had a problem with eithe shell 99 or Tesco however i didnt track the car .
Old 24 February 2018, 09:42 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big keith
7.5k is alot of money however good sti type r grade 4 are bringing good money.What you have to think about is shipping,vat.import duty etc.that will be over £2000.What you have to think about is the yen against the pound.
The fuel issue i have had 4 sti type r and never had a problem with eithe shell 99 or Tesco however i didnt track the car .
7.5k wasnt a lot of £ back 12 years ago in 2006 when this was posted.

Congrats on breaking the record for oldest thread resurrection

Last edited by rickybobby; 24 February 2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 24 February 2018, 09:44 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by big keith
Was 7.5k a lot of money back when this thread started