Sponsored by:

Motorpoint P/X?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2006, 08:36 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorpoint P/X?

Has anyone p/x'd a car with motorpoint. I have read quite a lot about them on here and thought I would give them a try.

Do they really screw you over on the p/x?
Old 08 April 2006, 09:05 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Part exchanged a 53 plate Focus petrol for an 05 Focus Diesel. They offer a fair trade price for your car - I think they send most of the part exchanges to auction. Don't expect a fortune for your car - its cost to change at the end of the day. They will give you a px price over the phone.

Cheers,

Ian.

Last edited by Ian E; 08 April 2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08 April 2006, 09:21 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Motorpoint offered me £3k less for my car than any other dealer, including other car supermarkets.
Old 08 April 2006, 11:47 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

on tv recently a guy tried to px his impreza P1 with motorpoint.

think they offered him 3-4k below what it was worth
Old 08 April 2006, 11:52 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

From what i have read and seen on tv they are really tight on trade in's. Its because their margins are really slim on the cars they sell as they rely on mass turnover. Equally you will get diddly squat off their cars screen price.
Nik
Old 09 April 2006, 10:13 AM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies chaps. You have answered my question, I have negative equity in the current car as it is so new, so I need as much as possible really for the trade in.
Old 09 April 2006, 11:38 AM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Catherine
Thanks for the replies chaps. You have answered my question, I have negative equity in the current car as it is so new, so I need as much as possible really for the trade in.
Dealers aren't a charity and no dealer will give you more than what your car is worth. They all work to the same trade guides - CAP / Glasses. If for example you are paying full UK list price on a new WRX (£21k ish) then a main dealer may falsely inflate your px value by say £2k to get a sale - just so you think you are getting a good price. Motorpoint will offer you the true value of the car but knock £6k off list price!

Give them a try. Me and a few other people I know have been happy with the px prices Motorpoint have offered. I got £5500 for my highish mileage Focus. Another dealer offered the same price, and one of the other Car Supermarkets only offered £5000.

What are the details on the px? Might be worth selling privately?

Cheers,

Ian.

Last edited by Ian E; 09 April 2006 at 11:41 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 09 April 2006, 12:06 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

If your px is fairly new, check if its something Motorpoint sells - do a search for the equivalent car on their web site. I would think they would offer around £1k less for your car than what they are asking for one they already have for sale (guess!)
Old 09 April 2006, 01:16 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ian, I don't expect a dealer to be a charity. Likewise I don't expect to be treated as one either. The book value for my car is £10K and the bids I have had so far are £8K, £9.5K and £10K with the 3 dealers apraising it as being in excellent condition (as it is so new).

You can imagine my thoughts of the bid of £8K.
Old 09 April 2006, 01:20 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I may be spouting rubbish here but I think there are different ways that they handle trades. Some will just go for the Glasses guide price and send them to auction, others will advertise the car on some kind of "trade-in" system and get the best price for it.
Old 09 April 2006, 05:09 PM
MarkGArgyle
Scooby Regular

I have already replied in an earlier post without realising this was here but I was expecting to get shafted on my part-ex at motorpoint. Surprisingly, I got what I felt was a fair price for my Coupe at Motorpoint yesterday and saved a shed-load on my new WRX .

I used their telesales service (number on the website) to give me an intial valuation and then upped it by £400 by going to Newport in person....

The dealer will give you more but you will still be £4-5k out of pocket
Old 11 April 2006, 08:29 PM
motormalt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Catherine
Thanks Ian, I don't expect a dealer to be a charity. Likewise I don't expect to be treated as one either. The book value for my car is £10K and the bids I have had so far are £8K, £9.5K and £10K with the 3 dealers apraising it as being in excellent condition (as it is so new).

You can imagine my thoughts of the bid of £8K.
be fair to motorpoint. If they can sell a wrx for £7000 below rrp then dont expect when it come to part ex time to get any great deals.

book prices mean nothing. a car is work what people are willing to pay for it

Honda accord type r

http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/use...&buyorsell=buy

auto traders they go for around £2000 more than book price

vx220

http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/use...&buyorsell=buy

they go for £3000 more than book price.

book price is not a selling point.

Last edited by motormalt; 11 April 2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11 April 2006, 09:01 PM
dinothedude
Scooby Regular

Default Motorpoint

I went to Motorpoint on Sunday with the intention of p/xing my 01 Bugeye WRX against a new shape 55 Plate WRX.

The cost of the new Scoob was £14999

They initially offered me £1660 less than the financial settlement was for my current financial settlement figure.

I went back on Monday and spoke to a different salesman who offered me £2060 less than my current financial settlement figure.

I went to a dealer tonight and they offered me £865 less than my current financial settlement against a 55 Plate with 5K miles for £18495.

The best deal to me is looking to be Motorpoint although i have to accept negative equity on my current Scoob in order to have the new one.

I have no intentions of selling privately as i don't want to have the hassle of dealing with the Test Pilots who will no doubt show up for a 'go' in a Scooby.

I will be sorting all of this out tomorrow and intend to have my new Scooby by Friday....wish me luck!!

BTW, i think the new shape Scooby is awesome....but then there is no accounting for taste.
Old 11 April 2006, 09:14 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

remember to allow about £300 on top of Motorpoint's £14,999 for on the road costs and then a further £350 for cat 1 alarm and locking wheel nuts !
Old 11 April 2006, 09:18 PM
dinothedude
Scooby Regular

I wasn't aware of that one. Thanks for the heads-up.

Paul
Old 11 April 2006, 09:37 PM
motormalt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by tim's wrx
remember to allow about £300 on top of Motorpoint's £14,999 for on the road costs and then a further £350 for cat 1 alarm and locking wheel nuts !
why i forgot to put that piece of information I don't know. thanks for the reminder!

not showing the otr price is common with car supermarkets. This is because the nature of how car supermarkets work (fast turnover and many varying models and variations of cars compared to main dealers that only need to edit data on smaller makes/model variants) this is done to save costs employing extra IT staff to constantly check the tax banding of the cars as it does change constantly at mr browns pleasure. This means in the long run YOU get a cheaper car WIN WIN situation for both parties.

tax is £210 a year!!
[cars with CO2 Emission over 225g/km (wrx is 244.....) gone up 30% effective march 23rd !!!
ONLY for cars registered AFTER march 23rd 2006 (valid in this case) thanks to Mr brown!!]

£38 first registration fee (just for some goon in Swansea to print out a nice piece of v5c paper..)

preparation service is available for an additional £62.13. YOU DO not need to pay for this car wash tax (don't give Mr brown ideas)

£248 NOT £300 for otr price. but WITH SAVINGS OF OVER £7000 this is not a massive omission(!)

cat 1 alarm charges vary from £100-£300
locking wheel nuts are a negligible cost available for a few of pounds depending where you look.

How on earth are Subaru UK
(international motors) still in business with these blatant rip-off charges? This was acceptable circa 2000 but not anymore!

All prices exclude Road Fund Licence and a First Registration Fee of £38 where applicable. Vehicles are supplied with balance of manufacturers warranty where available. Vehicles may not be to UK spec. You may not be the first registered keeper. An optional preparation service is
available for an additional £62.13. Pictures are for illustration purposes only

I forgot to say motorpoints wrx s come with Metallic paint as standard(£250 option at Subaru dealers)

Last edited by motormalt; 11 April 2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12 April 2006, 11:29 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

and if its pre registered you pobably won't get the subaru 3 year warranty but therer are importers who will
Originally Posted by tim's wrx
Old 12 April 2006, 01:42 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Surely it's a lot to do with what you are p/x ing as well. For example, a Scooby when there are many of them for sale around is not going to look good compared to a Focus, which are in far higher demand. When I was looking to p/x my MY05 WRX SL PPP 5-door, I sent to a local indy dealer who sells nearly new cars just to get an idea. Now I know that a Subaru dealer had told me a few days earlier to sell mine privately between 14.5 and 15k. He said they would stick it on the forecourt for 16-16.5k.

When I was looking at this Indy dealer, he phoned (according to him and I have no reason to disbelieve him) quite a few traders, as well as Subaru dealers. The general feeling from the Subaru dealers was that they had no need for the car as they had too many that were not selling, and the other traders that it's a harder car to sell. Therefore, the best trade in price he would give me was £13,200, with the lowest around the £12k mark or even a bit less.

That just shows, to my mind, that the p/ex value will depend on the desirability of the car you are trading. Certainly, Scoobys are not selling that well at the moment and there are plenty on dealers forecourts. While there are plenty of Focuses around, there are also way more people looking to buy them...

If you get my point...
Old 13 April 2006, 03:03 AM
motormalt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by HOWY
and if its pre registered you pobably won't get the subaru 3 year warranty but therer are importers who will

motorpoint sourced cars DO have a 3 year warrenty

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Surely it's a lot to do with what you are p/x ing as well. For example, a Scooby when there are many of them for sale around is not going to look good compared to a Focus, which are in far higher demand. When I was looking to p/x my MY05 WRX SL PPP 5-door, I sent to a local indy dealer who sells nearly new cars just to get an idea. Now I know that a Subaru dealer had told me a few days earlier to sell mine privately between 14.5 and 15k. He said they would stick it on the forecourt for 16-16.5k.

When I was looking at this Indy dealer, he phoned (according to him and I have no reason to disbelieve him) quite a few traders, as well as Subaru dealers. The general feeling from the Subaru dealers was that they had no need for the car as they had too many that were not selling, and the other traders that it's a harder car to sell. Therefore, the best trade in price he would give me was £13,200, with the lowest around the £12k mark or even a bit less.

That just shows, to my mind, that the p/ex value will depend on the desirability of the car you are trading. Certainly, Scoobys are not selling that well at the moment and there are plenty on dealers forecourts. While there are plenty of Focuses around, there are also way more people looking to buy them...

If you get my point...

you just proved a point there.

This car is NOT accepted by the British.

In japan this car is sold at a low price enthusiasts as a track day monster with minimal compromises. (specC for 3.06millinon yen=£14,720 GBP anyone?.) . Come to the Uk Subaru uk are more interest in selling underspecd cars at over inflated prices(£21,000 for a wrx fork out £27,000 for a sti!!) which puts the car in the same price range as BMW 3series coupes, Mazda rx8,nissan 350z and Audi tts.

The bottom Used car values on the imprezas are dismal because it is priced WAY too high new (e.g in a £27000 car people would not expect a interior suited in a car worth half that0 perspective buyers turn to other cars (as above)

another reason is people do not want to buy a wrx because of the shafting by Subaru uk (servicing, parts, horror stores abuse for buying a supermarket car),
stratospheric fuel costs, this IS not a problem but if the car was cheap new there would be less reason(for impreza haters) to rubbish this great car,
sky high insurance(a Nissan 350z is group 18 insurance/ rx-8 231ps is group 16! The WRX is eye wateringly high at 19.....) because of high theft rate, accident/vandalism clams(insures like to use this sob story to justify the inflated groups to fleece you but when you hear their £4 billion profits on the news.....). This would financially cripple anyone anyone under 24 that that is slightly interested this car which just makes them buy a group 0 shopping cart then a "safe" car like a golf diesel when they are older forgetting about the impreza entirely.

Right car WRONG county. In japan a sti spec C is cheaper than a 2.0l gl from Subaru uk dealers!!! CHEERS GUYS!!

uk stealers

rising sun price

Last edited by motormalt; 13 April 2006 at 03:41 AM.
Old 13 April 2006, 02:15 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by motormalt
motorpoint sourced cars DO have a 3 year warrenty

you just proved a point there.

This car is NOT accepted by the British.

In japan this car is sold at a low price enthusiasts as a track day monster with minimal compromises. (specC for 3.06millinon yen=£14,720 GBP anyone?.) . Come to the Uk Subaru uk are more interest in selling underspecd cars at over inflated prices(£21,000 for a wrx fork out £27,000 for a sti!!) which puts the car in the same price range as BMW 3series coupes, Mazda rx8,nissan 350z and Audi tts.

The bottom Used car values on the imprezas are dismal because it is priced WAY too high new (e.g in a £27000 car people would not expect a interior suited in a car worth half that0 perspective buyers turn to other cars (as above)

another reason is people do not want to buy a wrx because of the shafting by Subaru uk (servicing, parts, horror stores abuse for buying a supermarket car),
stratospheric fuel costs, this IS not a problem but if the car was cheap new there would be less reason(for impreza haters) to rubbish this great car,
sky high insurance(a Nissan 350z is group 18 insurance/ rx-8 231ps is group 16! The WRX is eye wateringly high at 19.....) because of high theft rate, accident/vandalism clams(insures like to use this sob story to justify the inflated groups to fleece you but when you hear their £4 billion profits on the news.....). This would financially cripple anyone anyone under 24 that that is slightly interested this car which just makes them buy a group 0 shopping cart then a "safe" car like a golf diesel when they are older forgetting about the impreza entirely.

Right car WRONG county. In japan a sti spec C is cheaper than a 2.0l gl from Subaru uk dealers!!! CHEERS GUYS!!

uk stealers

rising sun price

That's not an OTR price.

Why 24 years old? Is that just another random number you plucked from the air?
Old 13 April 2006, 04:13 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

damn thats cheap...

how much are the standard WRX's & STI's in japan?
Old 13 April 2006, 04:21 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

ah found it...

WRX 2,635,500 = £12,702.35

STI 3,402,000 = £16,394.51

Last edited by homerjay; 13 April 2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 13 April 2006, 07:40 PM
motormalt
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MattN
That's not an OTR price.

Why 24 years old? Is that just another random number you plucked from the air?
not as random as the comments you come out with...

what is the otr price then for a Japanese MY06 STI SPEC C?I can assure you it is not THE £27000 mugging you get from Subaru uk(for the closest model) ? No.
Subaru uk are the kings of shafting their customer base and try not to force the issue son.

please do not insult my intelligence i know what I am talking about.
Old 13 April 2006, 08:56 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
Pre registration has no affect on the standard Subaru Europe warranty.

Subaru Europe wrote to me in December to say that my Malta sourced pre registered WRX from Motorpoint is covered by the 3 yr European Warranty: this is what all the fuss was about but was cleared up due to intervention of Subaru Europe.

All that you need to confirm your 3 yr warranty is a warranty / service book supplied by the originating authorised Subaru dealer in whatever European country.
Old 13 April 2006, 10:33 PM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Got mine from Motorpoint last year.. didn't get quite what I wanted for my car ( about £1000) less, but saved nearly £5k on a new car..
Old 13 April 2006, 11:27 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by motormalt
not as random as the comments you come out with...

what is the otr price then for a Japanese MY06 STI SPEC C?I can assure you it is not THE £27000 mugging you get from Subaru uk(for the closest model) ? No.
Subaru uk are the kings of shafting their customer base and try not to force the issue son.

please do not insult my intelligence i know what I am talking about.

clearly you don't.

16k for a spec C, you plan on driving it in the UK? You might have to pay to get it here, not forgetting duty and VAT. We also have different vehicle approval so the models have to be tested.

oh, I'm not your son.
Old 14 April 2006, 08:46 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Motorpoint cars may have a 3 year warranty but it's a third party one, not a Subaru UK policy.

How they compare, I've no idea but every after market warranty I've ever come accross or heard about is not worth having.

Steve
Old 14 April 2006, 11:16 AM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
Motorpoint cars may have a 3 year warranty but it's a third party one, not a Subaru UK policy.

How they compare, I've no idea but every after market warranty I've ever come accross or heard about is not worth having.

Steve
No - Motorpoint cars come with Subaru Europe's standard 3yr or 60,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) incl 12 anti perforation. It's not a 3rd party warranty - it's given direct by the originating authorised Subaru dealer in Europe and is underwritten by Subaru Japan - the same arrangement applies to cars sold by authorised Subaru dealers in the UK.

Subaru Europe operate a Europe wide policy (not just limited to countries in the EC) whereby any authorised Subaru dealer in Europe must carry out warranty work on cars which have this 3 yr standard European warranty and that this is done free of charge for the customer.
Old 14 April 2006, 05:01 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

No it's not!

As they buy the cars and register them them first, there is a way that IM can get out of honouring the warranty.

There have been numerous threads about the issue on here.

Steve
Old 14 April 2006, 06:49 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
No it's not!

As they buy the cars and register them them first, there is a way that IM can get out of honouring the warranty.

There have been numerous threads about the issue on here.

Steve
No !! - Subaru UK were forced by Subaru Europe to honour the Europe wide 3 yr warranty given by authorised Subaru dealers in other European countries - this was what all the fuss was about at the end of last year. There were a number of threads about this and it all worked out in favour of the customer. I bought a pre registered WRX in Jan 05 from Motorpoint (pre registered) sourced from Subaru Malta and I have a letter from Subaru Europe confirming that Subaru UK / IM are obliged to honour the warranty terms.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showpost....&postcount=355

Last edited by tim's wrx; 14 April 2006 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Motorpoint P/X?