Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's & Cons of WRX G/box into Uk turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2006, 05:13 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's & Cons of WRX G/box into Uk turbo?

Im having a WRX gearbox and rear diff fitted to my UK turbo MY97, whats the good and bad bits?
i.e Better accelaration?
not so good top end?

Cheers guys
Old 07 April 2006, 05:53 PM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JCScooby
Im having a WRX gearbox and rear diff fitted to my UK turbo MY97, whats the good and bad bits?
i.e Better accelaration?
not so good top end?

Cheers guys
I have a wrx and the gearing is good for acceleration but for the motorway it gets on my **** because its always reving its nuts off. I wanted to change it for a uk box so the gears would be longer. Spoke to scoobyclinic they said they could put a uk 5th gear into my box to make it easier to live with on the motorway and the diff does not need to be changed. If I were you I would stick with the uk box,
Old 07 April 2006, 06:17 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dougwrx
I have a wrx and the gearing is good for acceleration but for the motorway it gets on my **** because its always reving its nuts off. I wanted to change it for a uk box so the gears would be longer. Spoke to scoobyclinic they said they could put a uk 5th gear into my box to make it easier to live with on the motorway and the diff does not need to be changed. If I were you I would stick with the uk box,
its already half way in so too late to turn back. I dont do much motorway driving and the cars mostly for weekends. Also i have a nice 10 mile drive to the gf's house along nice twisty B roads
I was mostly thinking of better 0-60, 30-100 sort of times, is there going to be a noticable change?
Old 07 April 2006, 07:07 PM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

my mate had an RB5 they are uk spec 218bhp mine was 240bhp at the time and there wasn't much in it on acceleration. The one thing that is really noticable, when we used to go out for a run once I got into 3rd,thats when he used to catch me because his gears were so much longer. In mine I can get 90 in third 104 in fourth (on the redline) and he could get at least 100 in third and 125 in fouth so I would lose out because 4th is so short.
Old 07 April 2006, 07:08 PM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dougwrx
my mate had an RB5 they are uk spec 218bhp mine was 240bhp at the time and there wasn't much in it on acceleration. The one thing that is really noticable, when we used to go out for a run once I got into 3rd,thats when he used to catch me because his gears were so much longer. In mine I can get 90 in third 104 in fourth (on the redline) and he could get at least 100 in third and 125 in fouth so I would lose out because 4th is so short.
On private roads of course
Old 07 April 2006, 07:22 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

so really there are both advantages and dis-advantages to the WRX box, resulting in no reall major gains?
I only took this box and diff as thats what was sent to me, despite me telling them a million times that i had a UK spec car.
Old 07 April 2006, 07:42 PM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Dont worry about it you will enjoy it all the same, you will just be changing gear a bit more