Sponsored by:

RAC Trackstar Subs

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2006, 01:06 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAC Trackstar Subs

Im selling my car next week but have just under a year to go on the Tracker Sub.

As this is not transferable has anyone managed to get a refund from RAC on this.
Old 06 April 2006, 01:30 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Not a chance
Old 06 April 2006, 01:55 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

No chance, they wont even get your car back for you if it gets nicked
Old 06 April 2006, 02:02 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
No chance, they wont even get your car back for you if it gets nicked

Seriously?? Am I better off have an alternative fitted to my new Sti then. Or maybe just get Blackjax added.
Old 06 April 2006, 02:08 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

They've not got the best rep. It turned out there was a few problems with P1 trackers a while back (Which everyone got sorted, but if it wasn't brought to light then who know's?). They couldn't find a few of the cars when we asked for tests. Also 2 were stolen, 1 was found (not by tracker IIRC) burnt out, the other was never seen again....

Might be worth asking people who use different makes for their opinions
Old 06 April 2006, 02:10 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Do a search on here as well.
Old 06 April 2006, 05:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I certainly do not recommend anybody take out a tracker with the RAC. Bunch of rip off merchants.
Old 06 April 2006, 11:09 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

I have RAC on my RB5 for insurance purposes, if it got nicked i wouldnt bother ringing them simply because i wouldnt want the car back.
Old 06 April 2006, 11:15 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have got a tracker horizon on my bugeye STi. Was working on the car one day next minute phone rang, it was my parents saying that tracker had been trying to get hold of me as my tracker had been activated. Rang up after a short chat they advised that if I am working on my car in a similar manner let them know and they will put a blocker on it for a set time to prevent un-necessary hassle, when complete ring back and they will restore normal operation. Can't fault that, Steve
Old 06 April 2006, 11:48 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

I dont understand what has working on the car got to do with a tracker? I was under the impression that when it gets nicked you ring them and they track it.
Old 07 April 2006, 12:00 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

sold my car in Feb after renewing about 6 weeks earlier

rang up to see about refund they told me to request in writing

I did this and they sent me a cheque for the full £120 , didn't even deduct anything for the few weeks I had used
Old 07 April 2006, 03:41 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by StudentScooby
I dont understand what has working on the car got to do with a tracker? I was under the impression that when it gets nicked you ring them and they track it.
That's not the way mine works, it's an automatic process and it works.

dipster.

Last edited by davedipster; 07 April 2006 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07 April 2006, 05:27 AM
god3
Scooby Regular

Old 07 April 2006, 08:33 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rotty
sold my car in Feb after renewing about 6 weeks earlier

rang up to see about refund they told me to request in writing

I did this and they sent me a cheque for the full £120 , didn't even deduct anything for the few weeks I had used

I called to ask and they told me non transferable and surprise surprise,non refundable!
Old 07 April 2006, 09:40 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
I have got a tracker horizon on my bugeye STi. Was working on the car one day next minute phone rang, it was my parents saying that tracker had been trying to get hold of me as my tracker had been activated. Rang up after a short chat they advised that if I am working on my car in a similar manner let them know and they will put a blocker on it for a set time to prevent un-necessary hassle, when complete ring back and they will restore normal operation. Can't fault that, Steve
That's a Tracker horizon not an RAC Trackstar, different company, different unit.
Old 07 April 2006, 11:25 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil W
I called to ask and they told me non transferable and surprise surprise,non refundable!

bizarre , I had no problem at all getting a refund , this was only about 4 weeks ago
Old 07 April 2006, 12:40 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another vote for Tracker, if you want this kind of device on your car. When mine broke down a few months ago at work, it had just been pulled up onto the back of the low loader, in motion for literally a minute, and they rang the front desk at work to confirm that this was an authorised movement. That's not too surprising until you realise that during that minute, they had already called my home number and got no reply, called my mobile and got no reply, THEN called work to try and get hold of me. No complaints about Tracker's service!
Old 07 April 2006, 03:39 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

My STi with the RAC thing fitted was on boats lots and was towed/trailered on several occasions without a single word from them. Personally i doubt that it worked and any time i contacted them to ask if it worked they just said it did, though they never confirmed the location of the car. As others have said their admin process was also a nightmare and so i certainly could not recommend them.
Old 07 April 2006, 05:10 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Just another vote for Tracker, if you want this kind of device on your car. When mine broke down a few months ago at work, it had just been pulled up onto the back of the low loader, in motion for literally a minute, and they rang the front desk at work to confirm that this was an authorised movement. That's not too surprising until you realise that during that minute, they had already called my home number and got no reply, called my mobile and got no reply, THEN called work to try and get hold of me. No complaints about Tracker's service!

RAC Trackstar are a different company to Tracker. Why do so many people get them confused.
Old 07 April 2006, 05:55 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW

RAC Trackstar are a different company to Tracker. Why do so many people get them confused.

In relation to standard tracker don't just have the standard one fitted. There crap!

The reason I say this is their radius is around 1 mile for Police to locate them and the signal emitted for the police to find your car can send them all over the place and even in the wrong direction!

I will be looking at getting an active GPS style tracker if I can afford it when get my scooby.

If I can afford it that is.
Old 07 April 2006, 08:44 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by StudentScooby
I have RAC on my RB5 for insurance purposes, if it got nicked i wouldnt bother ringing them simply because i wouldnt want the car back.
Do that and your insurance would be invalid you tit
Old 07 April 2006, 08:59 PM
onslow
Scooby Regular

i phoned up just last week to have my rac trackstar checked
they phoned me back 10 mins later while i was on the move and told me exactly where i was and the name of the streets i had just gone past
so at the the moment all is ok but only time will tell i guess
Old 08 April 2006, 12:42 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
Do that and your insurance would be invalid you tit
In that case I will just have to hope that Trackstar are as crap as some people make out and they carnt find it.
Old 09 April 2006, 03:54 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Neil W
Im selling my car next week but have just under a year to go on the Tracker Sub.

As this is not transferable has anyone managed to get a refund from RAC on this.
No chance, the owner of my new Car (only Just 2 months old) had paid life subs and Speed safe option 2 months later bath are absolutely worthless to him or me. Are the subs for the Person or Car !!!! WTF

If this units were of any use ALL insurance Companies would Demand them or give big discounts for having them but very few do now because of the ease in which they can be disabled.

i wasn't renewing the Subs I'm no expert and it took me 8 minutes to disconect Power supply(battery backup) and more importantly the ariel. if I were a Criminal or know what i know now, most units can be disable/blocked in under 30 seconds.

For the Cost of 1 years Subs you can buy a Anti Hijack device and have it fitted which will be far more effective even if your asleep and keys stolen than any "Tracking" device. IMHO

Most "Tracking" type Companies are looking at the very lucrative market of GPS PAYG metering for Car TAX/Insurance/Tolls Roads for the Goverment.
IIRC IMHO

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 09 April 2006 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09 April 2006, 04:08 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by onslow
i phoned up just last week to have my rac trackstar checked
they phoned me back 10 mins later while i was on the move and told me exactly where i was and the name of the streets
Onslow,
Even if you had not Paid any Subs for 12 months, they can still have told you, if they wished if you asked for further info, they could even have check records of your cars journeys and told you your exact speed on any road in the previous month IIRC

Tony
Old 09 April 2006, 08:18 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
No chance, the owner of my new Car (only Just 2 months old) had paid life subs and Speed safe option 2 months later bath are absolutely worthless to him or me. Are the subs for the Person or Car !!!! WTF
as I said I had no problems getting a refund when I sold the car , this was about 6 weeks ago , though this was a 12 month policy not a "life" one so that could have made a difference

Last edited by rotty; 09 April 2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09 April 2006, 10:30 AM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

We have had Trackstar and Tracker on cars in the past. I would vote for Tracker every time.
Old 09 April 2006, 09:41 PM
onslow
Scooby Regular

they could even have check records of your cars journeys and told you your exact speed on any road in the previous month IIRC
phew its lucky i never speed then
ive had a second hidden immobiliser fitted so even with the keys it should be tough to start
Old 10 April 2006, 12:21 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Onslow,
Even if you had not Paid any Subs for 12 months, they can still have told you, if they wished if you asked for further info, they could even have check records of your cars journeys and told you your exact speed on any road in the previous month IIRC

Tony
God... i really hope the RAC are not legally allowed to pass this info to the cops!?
Old 10 April 2006, 01:22 AM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up TRACKER TRACKER TRACKER!!

Here's another vote for Tracker!

Mine has a Tracker Monitor.
I was recovered from the M6 earlier today after rear window exploded.
Tracker called me within 10 minutes of it being loaded onto the recovery vehicle.

Excellent service - can't fault them!

Quick Reply: RAC Trackstar Subs