New MY06 WRX Type UK

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2006, 12:10 PM
snakeskin boots
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New MY06 WRX Type UK

Chaps,

i am looking at buying a 06 Type UK WRX, i have been to the local dealers and seen a stunning one in white which you also get the 5 yr warranty, 5 yr servicing, tracker, and some sat nav kit.

The price was 20900 otr, now i was wondering and from reading some of the posts am not to hopeful of what type of discount will the dealers give if any?

I have seen the same models on Motorpoint's website for around 16g, what is the score on the warranty with these and are they all uk models?

any help appreciated.
Old 04 April 2006, 12:55 PM
JohnS

The Motorpoint cars aren't UK models as such, but are Euro import. Not quite the same spec (no underseal, alarm, locking wheel nuts, Subaru assist roadside recovery plus probably a couple of other minor bits and pieces). Yes they are cheaper, but worth less on resale.

The Type Uk WRXs are coming complete with about £3.5k of extras, but still the same OTR price. The 5 year warranty, 5 years free servicing, 5 years roadside recovery assistance, sat nav kit, RAC Trackstar are very worthwhile options if you are getting them for free.

Not sure about discounts, but it does seem like an excellent deal to me.

Last edited by JohnS; 04 April 2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04 April 2006, 01:27 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnS
The Motorpoint cars aren't UK models as such, but are Euro import. Not quite the same spec (no underseal, alarm, locking wheel nuts, Subaru assist roadside recovery plus probably a couple of other minor bits and pieces). Yes they are cheaper, but worth less on resale.

The Type Uk WRXs are coming complete with about £3.5k of extras, but still the same OTR price. The 5 year warranty, 5 years free servicing, 5 years roadside recovery assistance, sat nav kit, RAC Trackstar are very worthwhile options if you are getting them for free.

Not sure about discounts, but it does seem like an excellent deal to me.
I tend to disagree. You save £5k up front. Alarm and Tracker (if needed) are £600, wheel nuts are £25. Sat Nav is ~£300 for an excellent unit. (TomTom 700 is now £349 with Europe Wide maps) Roadside Recovery assistance is £170 for 5 years.

I think the differences are too small too worry about given the cost savings. Alliance offer UK spec cars where there is absolutely no difference apart from these after market "extras"

Resale value will be less but then again you have already saved up front.
Old 04 April 2006, 01:31 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Agree and bear in mind the sat nav that they are bundling requires annual subscription. Not sure if there will be a problem when trading in either as if you buy on a PCP you get a GFV anyway. Only problem will be when you try and trade in at a subaru dealer.

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I tend to disagree. You save £5k up front. Alarm and Tracker (if needed) are £600, wheel nuts are £25. Sat Nav is ~£300 for an excellent unit. (TomTom 700 is now £349 with Europe Wide maps) Roadside Recovery assistance is £170 for 5 years.

I think the differences are too small too worry about given the cost savings. Alliance offer UK spec cars where there is absolutely no difference apart from these after market "extras"

Resale value will be less but then again you have already saved up front.
Old 04 April 2006, 01:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on the underseal issue. Looking at my old MY00 Euro import compared with a UK model, the only difference was the alarm and locking wheel nuts. The underseal was thick and good on both cars.

Cat 1 alarm and good locking wheel nuts can be done for £250-300, so you are at £15250 or so but you'd be the second owner on the log book if they are pre-reg. You'll need to weigh up the value of the servicing/warranty deal yourself. I'd be tempted myself except I think I would break the gearbox with the tuning I would have planned for it, pushing me towards an STI, although this ends up barely more expensive than a non-discounted UK WRX.
Old 04 April 2006, 02:12 PM
snakeskin boots
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the replies chaps,

i see what you are saying about the euro import models, i always worry though about things like insurance, warranty and resale value this is why i would be tempted to buy a UK car. Do the UK dealers ever budge on price?

also looking at the reviews i would be happy (initially as i would be coming from a clio 182/type -r as previous cars) with the WRX performance so a import STI is not really in my thoughts although i have not drove either yet.

Is the STI really that much better than the WRX?
Old 04 April 2006, 02:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snakeskin boots
Is the STI really that much better than the WRX?
That's down to the individual. There are many who find the STi too hardcore for daily use and prefer the WRX. I have a WRX with PPP, but have driven many STi's of various spec right up to a mighty Type 25. I love the quicker steering and the adjustability given by the centre diff, but hate the 6sp 'box. On a car with so much power, having such close ratio's makes for a tyresome driving experience on some routes. The new 06 cars with the 2.5l unit are better, as they have more torque across a wider range, making it easier to keep a gear longer. The STi suspension can be crashy and harsh compared to the WRX, and they suffer from bobbing at the rear. Having said that, the 1st thing I'll change on any Scoob I own in the future will be the complete suspension set-up for a T20/25 AST/Whiteline set-up. If I was buying tomorrow I'd definately get an STi though, as it suits me better. The interior, the steering, the brakes, the extra diff, the uprated internals being more suitable for upgrades, the whole image (although the big scoop has gone now ). My ideal would be to find someone struggling to shift on a hardly used MY06 EU import for £18k or so, and take it straight to WRC Tech for the 360 upgrade and then to Powerstation for the suspension doing. I can dream can't I
Old 04 April 2006, 02:57 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

i always worry though about things like ....... resale value this is why i would be tempted to buy a UK car.
If re-sale values bother you that much then to be honest, dont buy a new car. Go and buy a second hand one from a dealer or private seller, with warrenty etc for much less than the prices you are quoting.

You can see from the for sale section on here how hard it is to sell these cars at an acceptable price from the sellers point of view.

If you are not sure about the wrx / sti comparison then try before you buy

Best of luck
Old 04 April 2006, 03:13 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

^^^ Wot 'e says

If residuals bother you, go buy a Mini or a Skoda Fabia vRS. Be prepared to lose a lot of money on any Scoob, and have lots of trouble selling it on later. I think my car is amongst the best 03 WRX's on the road, but the buyers who come to see it (of which there have been just 3 in 7 months ) don't attach any value to its excellence and still only want to pay what a standard car is worth. Hence, in 2-3 weeks my car will be standard and that is what the next person will buy, and my friends will have excellent cars at reduced component prices. I've said it before and will say it again, it's easier selling a week old turd than a Subaru
Old 04 April 2006, 03:25 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

i bought a 05 sti from alliance last year,, underseals a'plenty!!
Old 04 April 2006, 03:42 PM
snakeskin boots
Scooby Newbie

If residuals bother you, go buy a Mini or a Skoda Fabia vRS

No chance! seriously i am not that bothered about residuals as i have had more than one new car in the last 4 years and i have lost money on both of them so i know that this does happen.

I see what you are saying about the selling of the car as well, i suppose most potential owners dont do their homework and appreciate the mods (hence why i have joined this site to get some info before purchase).

I will try the WRX i dont think i could justify the extra spend on the STI for the amount of time i would spend on B roads and stuck in flaming rush hour traffic!

regards mods are there any mods that really should be done?
Old 04 April 2006, 03:48 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Be careful with mods if you are buying a new car from a dealer, pretty much afaik anything other than the ppp will void your warrenty.
Old 04 April 2006, 04:38 PM
rescc
Scooby Regular

If you intend to keep the Type UK for 5 years then the warranty and servicing is a bonus. It's not transferrable, so if you get rid within 5 years there's no added value to pass on.
Tracker/SatNav also needs a subscription.

I'm probably going down the Standard WRX (MY06) route, dealers are discounting quite a bit now. PPP is £1700 on top of that.
Old 04 April 2006, 05:41 PM
chizzy
Scooby Newbie

Im pretty much in the same boat as you, wanting a new 06 WRX, tossing up over an import,

Been to a dealer today and he offered me a WRX OTR for £19.500....

Which was still not enough discount wise to temp me to part with my cash.
Old 04 April 2006, 08:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

regards mods are there any mods that really should be done?
PPP is the only power mod that will keep the all important engine and drivetrain under warranty, and TBH, if the car is set up well then 265bhp is enough. What I mean by "well set up" is that the standard suspension and handling leaves a lot to be desired for an experienced driver. By switching to the Type 20/25 AST/Whiteline set-up available from Powerstation you can have a WRX that will outperform any standard STi on the road. It's what I have fitted on mine, and I can show my tailpipe to many much more powerful cars. The rest of your warranty will remain intact, but obviously don't expect Subaru to replace an AST coilover if one were to fail When they're ready for changing, some better brake pads help. As does better fluid and some Goodridge braided lines.

Going back to residuals, my mate bought a Mini Cooper S for £15k and sold it 1yr on for £15.5k Skoda Fabia vRS sell for £11.5k after a year and are just £12.5k new. Try getting £19k for a 1yr old WRX