Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elvington Track Day Review (Be Warned)!

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2006, 11:46 AM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elvington Track Day Review (Be Warned)!

Ok full Elvington review (be warned)

Left for Elvington at 6.00am on the 18th March with a couple of other cars in the convoy and signed on at 9.00am. A 1/2 hour briefing followed at 9.30am before being allowed onto the track at 10.00am for 3 slow laps around the track.

A sound test was carried out using a sound meter by the track day host, Javelin Motorsport and my car was found to be slightly over the db level at 105.3 db (limit is 105db) so I got refused entry onto the track until I had fixed the problem .The reading was taken at 4500rpm. Needless to say I was extremely dissapointed with not being allowed onto the track for the sake of being 0.3db over the limit so I spent the best part of 2 hours searching in York for some 'exhaust wadding' to pack the silencer with. Unfortunately for me I was out of luck and the best I could come up with was a couple of scourers, 1 exhaust clamp, wire and a polishing cloth. We managed to get both scourers in the exhaust and tie the cloth over the silencer with the wire, which anybody could see was a potential fire hazard and could possibly come off round the track and hit another car.

I then went back for another sound meter test and it passed. Bear in mind this was obviously a dangerous method of reducing noise I was then allowed to go out around the track. After 1/2 a lap I look in my rear view mirror and see loads of white smoke in the grass and on returning at the end of that lap into the pits I then realised the scourers had been spat out of the exhaust and the polishing cloth had caught fire at one point.

I understand that the residents of Elvington have been complaining for a while now about excessive noise caused from these track days so that is why they have recently tightened up on the sound levels, but to be 0.3db over the limit could have been caused by numerous factors:

1) The inaccuracy of their testing equipment (+/- 1.5db)
2) The inaccuracy caused by testing on concrete and not tarmac (can increase the db level up to and extra 0.5db)
3) Ambient background noise
4) The inaccuracy of my rev counter
5) Sound meter out of calibration

The thing is a lot of people from various other forums have been refused entry to the track for the same reason and have been for the previous months, but surely there has to be some leaniency regarding the results ie.+ 5-10%.

Next problem obviously not for me as I couldn't go round the track, but for the other 2 cars that came along with me, is 'tyre squeal'!! Yes they don't like tyre squeal on the track and if you create excessive tyre squeal you will shown a 'tyre squeal' card. My 2 mates got shown this card on several occasions.

I feel really let down by Javelin Motorsport. As I own a car tuning company, and I did explain this to Colin, I have found him a lot of business through my contacts and up to now have fully recommended their track days, but not any more. His attitude was, 'we can do without the likes of you and your customers' and just didn't care about his business. He then went on to say that he doesn't care about people bad mouthing Javelin and it just creates more business I asked for a refund or a voucher for another event but he didn't allow me either so i'm now looking to start legal proceedings against Javelin Motorsport to recover my costs of the day including my travelling expenses based on the grounds of inaccurate readings. It's not really the money but the principle. I had also paid for another track day at Barkston Heath on the 2nd April of which I have now been fully refunded for this, but still not for the track day on the 18th March.

Anyway yesterday I receive an email from Colin at Javelin and here is part of the email:

Adam

Your entry fee for the above event has been refunded today as per your verbal request on the 18th March. See below.

Please also note that after due deliberation and discussion we have taken the the regrettable decision that entries from you for any future Javelin Trackday events will not be accepted.

Regards

Colin

Colin Jebson
Javelin Trackdays
Tel 01469 560574
Mob 07889 740586
e mail - colin@javelintrackdays.co.uk

I have a list of another 22 people from various car clubs that have had a very similar problem with Javelin and their Elvington track days.

If anyone does go an Elvington track day organised by Javelin then I would recommend that they get an accurate db sound level check before attending the track day and also get it checked on concrete and not tarmac. Do not argue with anyone from the airfield, Colin from Javelin or make your comments known to anyone else otherwise you too could be banned!

Last edited by Celox Performance; 28 March 2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 28 March 2006, 11:52 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

How long until this is vaped?
Old 28 March 2006, 12:02 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

i dont meen to be a fly in your oitment but i dont really care. You were over the db limit set by them. Thats your lookout mate, not theirs. BTW i love your +- 5 because that could mean your car could be way over too.....

and on a second point you made up something that could be dangerous yet you blame them for not spotting it? Just because your too neive or lazy to get an exhaust bung made up or get a boost controller to turn your boost down for the dB limit. People have been doing that for years....

Im sorry that you missed out on your trackday cos that sucks. But YOU knew the limit, you KNOW scoobys are loud, YOU risked it, YOU didnt get away with it. Tough ******* buddy. And as for a refund lol

The tyre squeel is not too much different either. They have to set a zero tolerance with tyre squeel (the same they do for dB limit) is to remove the risk of wanna be drifters. Make it zero tolerance and theyre can be no arguement. For the greater good

next time you go to a track, get a bung made for your exhaust
Old 28 March 2006, 12:06 PM
asnail99
Scooby Newbie

elvington is very harsh on your tyres too, also the 105db limit is on most tracks in the UK, not just elvington
Old 28 March 2006, 12:07 PM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

I didn't take a Scooby, but a Honda Prelude!

The point i'm trying to get across is that their readings on the db meters aren't consistent and to warn people to take a bung or something to make the exhaust quiter if needs be. Also there should be a bit of liency for inaccuracies.

TOTB which is at Elvington is also strictly 105db I was told.

Last edited by Celox Performance; 28 March 2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 28 March 2006, 12:11 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

furry muff
Old 28 March 2006, 12:21 PM
Richard Hillman
Scooby Newbie

gutted for you but to be honest, if track days are a big deal for you, why not just buy a quieter exhaust?

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2006, 12:26 PM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted a tuneable system which has quietened it down a lot. I just couldn't do it at the track side on that particular day.
Old 28 March 2006, 12:41 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Celox Performance
I've just fitted a tuneable system which has quietened it down a lot. I just couldn't do it at the track side on that particular day.
I fancy doing a track day but have similar concerns.

Does anyone know if there would be issues with a PPP'd Scooby?
Old 28 March 2006, 01:04 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

lol @ getting a tyre noise card

that is just fecken stupid pmsl
Old 28 March 2006, 01:36 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Same venue for ScoobyShootOut too.
Old 28 March 2006, 01:46 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It was my understanding that the static test would be done @4k RPM?

Mine went up 2-3db as the revs rose 500rpm from 4k-4.5k and again 4.5k-5k, so the revs its tested at is quite crucial.
Old 28 March 2006, 01:48 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

can you take off your rev counter needle and move it a bit downwards
Old 28 March 2006, 01:53 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I can't see what your issue is to be fair. 100db @ 4500 rpm when you visit Coombe. When we arrange trackdays it's simply a case of the club borrowing a noise meter so everyone knows the score before we arrive.

You're bitter and wish to exact revenge by sullying the name of Javelin. Javelin simply don't want your business and frankly I don't blame them.

Siempre Listo.

J
Old 28 March 2006, 02:03 PM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I can't see what your issue is to be fair. 100db @ 4500 rpm when you visit Coombe. When we arrange trackdays it's simply a case of the club borrowing a noise meter so everyone knows the score before we arrive.

You're bitter and wish to exact revenge by sullying the name of Javelin. Javelin simply don't want your business and frankly I don't blame them.

Siempre Listo.

J
The issue is that Javelins' db meter accuracy is + or - 1.5db@94db. This means that their db meter is inaccurate and especially as it's been tested on concrete and not tarmac. Also during testing there are 10-15+ cars on the track so that would surely increase the db reading. So when the club borrows a noise meter you don't give anyone any leaniency either, even if it's only 0.3 db over the limit?
Old 28 March 2006, 02:10 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

They should take a few readings and take the average IMHO.

How many did they take?

I was under the impression that tests at Elvington were to be done at 4k RPM.
Old 28 March 2006, 02:51 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Celox Performance
The issue is that Javelins' db meter accuracy is + or - 1.5db@94db. This means that their db meter is inaccurate and especially as it's been tested on concrete and not tarmac. Also during testing there are 10-15+ cars on the track so that would surely increase the db reading. So when the club borrows a noise meter you don't give anyone any leaniency either, even if it's only 0.3 db over the limit?
What we do is ensure that anyone attending will be comfortably within the limits for the track.

If someone's close to the limit it is their responsibility to arrange a bung, additional packing or a different back box. If they didn't, turned up and the marshall stopped their fun, all the boys would say "your fault". My Impreza puts out 340bhp but by leaving the unrestrictive resonator in place it manages a civilised 93db @ 4500rpm. 105db is excessive and you paid the price. Learn from it, move on.

FWIW I had a G4JDM2.2 'lude and really liked it.

J
Old 28 March 2006, 02:53 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I've always found Colin and Co. at Javelin to be helpful and friendly and their days well run and marshaled. By the way, 105dB is a bloody loud exhaust!

Steve

Last edited by Steve vRS; 28 March 2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 28 March 2006, 02:56 PM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

They took the reading at 4500rpm (3/4 of the maximum rpm) at 1/2 a meter away from the exhaust. I suppose there was nothing to stop me in theory from lowering the rev limiter to 4500rpm and taking the reading again at 3/4 maximum rpm, in which case it would have easily passed, but I didn't and made sure the revs were dead on 4500rpm.

They took several readings with 3 different meters but the meters were all inconsistent and one meter even showed over 124db .
Old 28 March 2006, 03:03 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I hope this noise level entry malarkey doesn't interfere with the up and coming Subaru events. It could end with at worst a depleted field of the top runners and slow times due to everyone fitting a oe exhausts, or an opportunity for exhaust bung supplier

Andy

Last edited by andy97; 28 March 2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 28 March 2006, 03:05 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Bet the Tornado GR4 at the Elvington airshow in August exceeds 105db.
Old 28 March 2006, 03:11 PM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
I've always found Colin and Co. at Javelin to be helpful and friendly and their days well run and marshaled. By the way, 105dB is a bloody loud exhaust!

Steve
I did find that as well until I confronted him with questions-then he was completely different and completely shocked me. He obviously doesn't like being confronted. He's had good business through me in the past as well.
Old 28 March 2006, 04:25 PM
pugsleygti
Scooby Regular

i'm not an expert on track days but would like to get in to them and my biggest worry is the noise from the exhaust thats why i'm worried about putting a nur spec on my car cause apparently there 104 db and i would want to risk not getting on the track but like someone mentioned 105db is a lot castle combe is much lower now mind u did anyone go to japfest there last year cause cause there was a honda integra going round and the noise from it screaming was unbelievable it was a fingers in the ears job when it went past but did his get past the test cause the v-tec doesn't kick in to about 6k rpm how is that fair cause it was miles louder than any scooby?????
chris
Old 28 March 2006, 04:31 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pugsleygti
i'm not an expert on track days but would like to get in to them and my biggest worry is the noise from the exhaust thats why i'm worried about putting a nur spec on my car cause apparently there 104 db and i would want to risk not getting on the track but like someone mentioned 105db is a lot castle combe is much lower now mind u did anyone go to japfest there last year cause cause there was a honda integra going round and the noise from it screaming was unbelievable it was a fingers in the ears job when it went past but did his get past the test cause the v-tec doesn't kick in to about 6k rpm how is that fair cause it was miles louder than any scooby?????
chris
If Buppa Po's around, decibels will be the least of your worries
Old 28 March 2006, 04:37 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I fancy doing a track day but have similar concerns.

Does anyone know if there would be issues with a PPP'd Scooby?
IIRC PPP Scoobs and unmodifyed sportscars will have no problems passing any Noise Tests, even at Bedford Autodrome who are low and VERY strict. IMHO IIRC

I was at Bedford Autodrome on a SIDC trackday a few years ago, problems with noise, expulsions etc and the "Stuff hit the Fan" big time

Bedford Autodrome has two noise tests.

1)measured 50cm away from exhaust and engine at 75% of maximum rpm. The reading must not exceed 101 dB(A).

2) and more significantly, your car must comply with our drive-by noise limits. and must not exceed 87 dB(A) measured 20 metres from your when accelerating maximally at over 60 mph.

So do feel for you being kick off but have to agree with most other peeps comments. It is really your responsibilty to ensure your passes.
IMHO

Tony
Old 28 March 2006, 04:40 PM
Celox Performance
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
I hope this noise level entry malarkey doesn't interfere with the up and coming Subaru events. It could end with at worst a depleted field of the top runners and slow times due to everyone fitting a oe exhausts, or an opportunity for exhaust bung supplier

Andy
TOTB is strictly 105db so I have been told by Trevor Duckworth who runs www.straightliners.co.uk and is also helping out at TOTB.

Tony-with the readings being so inconsistent there's nothing to say that even if you paid £75 for a noise test and got issued with a certificate of say for example 103db, there's still no guarantees that it wouldn't show as being over the 105db level at Elvington due to their inaccurate meters, background noise and concrete etc. I've looked at a few previous cases where people have had noise tests carried out where the noise level was a couple of db below and when they get tested at Elvington it's over the maximum 105 db.

Last edited by Celox Performance; 28 March 2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 28 March 2006, 04:48 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

chris
To give the glaringly obvious answer to what I assume is a question, simply don't put an excessively loud exhaust on to your motorcar. It really is that simple.
Old 28 March 2006, 04:54 PM
evonorth
Scooby Regular

Default totb

If that is the noise level 105db, then 75 % of last years cars will not be allowed to run, some how i think they will
Old 28 March 2006, 04:56 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

but like someone mentioned 105db is a lot castle combe is much lower now mind u did anyone go to japfest there last year..........
Chris,

That's why most tracks say 75% of Max RPM and Japfest2006 the Static noise Test is 100db @4500rpm

We did do some tests using our own meter, Induction noise was a big factor in driveby tests. Some cars failed the static but passed Driveby and vice versa.

Tony
Old 28 March 2006, 05:08 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

and bouncing off the rev limiter

Dan

Quick Reply: Elvington Track Day Review (Be Warned)!