Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay car importer says Jap cars dont need remap for UK fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2006, 11:33 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebay car importer says Jap cars dont need remap for UK fuel?

Saw a nice looking MY03 STi on the bay, 4623813701. So thought I would ask a few questions before commmiting myself any further.

This is how it went...

Hi,

"Can you tell me when and who imported it, has it had any modifications
i.e. exhaust, remap for uk fuel etc"

Thanks.

The response was...

"I imported it myself last year no modifications, japanese petrol is the
same as in the uk."

A little confused, I responed with what I belive was correct...

"As far as I know Japanese petrol is not the same as UK petrol at all. Jap petrol is 105RON where as the best we get is 98RON (optimax). If you have not had the car remapped for UK fuel you are running the danger of det becuase the ignition advance is set to high for UK fuel.

Where did you get the 340bhp figure from as well? No MY03 models even the Spec C were released with that power hence asking about what modifications you had peformed.

Have the dials been converted to MPH instead of KPH? Has the 112mph limiter been removed?

Regards,

Neil."

And the reply was....

"Hello
your just the typical type of person that the goverment and the uk dealers
and so call information packs aim for,my car as been on a rolling road with

print out!! thats how i know, a uk rolling road !!! cause i thougt a japanesse rolling road might be inferiour to a uk one,

As for the petrol why would you want to remap your car if you can use
optimax ive been importing cars for 14 years , in the import industry we call it
scare mongering it does how ever only work on people of low intelligance.
A POINT FOR THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ALSO NEED TO REMAP YOUR WATER WASH AND RADIATOR SYSTEM AS UK WATER MAY HARM YOUR PIPE WORK

STICK TO A UK MODEL IF I WERE YOU"

So at this point I thought ok what a ***, what a crappy response for simple questions. Am I wrong in thinking that the fuel was a higher octane in Japan? Any else fancy firing off some questions to keep the guy enertained!
Old 27 March 2006, 11:42 AM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think jap fuel is 105 ron - the general consensus is that it's sold as 91,96 and 100, and I believe impreza's are designed to run on 100 ron fuel.

It's true that impreza's will often be fine on super unleaded or optimax, just that they won't produce their manufacturers quoted power figures. I ran an Evo 1, Starlet Turbo and MR2 Turbo on optimax alone with no problems, however I put a bottle of octane booster in each tank with my STI as for all it costs I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I believe the newer cars are better at adjusting for lower grade fuel than the older ones, hence if he's had it rolling roaded and it appears to be fuelling correctly and making good power - it's probably fine.
krazy
Scooby Regular

Although nobody disagrees that running a jdm on anything less than SUL is unwise, if your really bored and translate the japanese subaru/sti website specs for the current sti and S201 impreza, under fuel both state unleaded permium gasoline with the following note:

Note: When procuring the unleaded premium gasoline, it can also use the unleaded regular gasoline, but engine efficiency decreases.

Translations are not great but, according to JIS (Japan Industry Standard) there are 3 standards unleaded regular 91 ron, premium 96 and hi-octane 100.

Japanese Wikipedia page translation seems to suggest this too:
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...25E3%2583%25B3

Although indicating that as slammedmind said most premium unleaded is now 98 - 100 ron.

Esso list 2 unleaded fuels on their japan site 100 and 90 ron.
alloy
Scooby Regular

You are right , he is wrong , Japanese Fuel is of higher octane than the fuel we get in the UK.

Without mods and pushing 340bhp is a lie as well he just wants your money so leave well alone
Old 27 March 2006, 12:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well just running optimax and i see more noise on the knocklink on my MY03 JDM STi Spec C, so just running optimax on that car......
Yes the ecu will retard, it knocked mine down to 282bhp from 315bhp, and no way in hell will that be pushing anywhere near 340bhp
Personally, if your after a JDM STi, buy one from someone who knows what they are talking about and not someone who probably puts regular unleaded in

Tony
Old 27 March 2006, 12:50 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting so you got just over the power stated from subaru for that model on just optimax. How much more noise on the knock link do you see? Second green sometimes starts to flash on mine near the red line but is the same whether plain SUL/optimax or with NF. Does seem to run better with the booster thou.
Old 27 March 2006, 12:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

On a differing note; i wouldnt entertain buying a car from a man who appears to an ignorant and illiterate f*ckwit. If youre buying a JDM then you need a vendor who can string a sentence together for f*cks sake!
Old 27 March 2006, 12:55 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no intention of buying from the ***, was interested to begin with bu from his 'pigs might fly' replies I will be staying well away!
Old 27 March 2006, 01:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by krazy
Thats interesting so you got just over the power stated from subaru for that model on just optimax. How much more noise on the knock link do you see? Second green sometimes starts to flash on mine near the red line but is the same whether plain SUL/optimax or with NF. Does seem to run better with the booster thou.
I also run a panel filter, this is what happens when the ecu sees det and retards and that was with optimax and octane booster
On just optimax i get the 1st orange come on, normally im like you, 2nd green near the red line.

Tony
Old 27 March 2006, 01:34 PM
Eckmcmann
Scooby Regular

leave well alone mate he's talking out his a*$e
for a start is it not a twin scroll turbo this character says scrobe
Old 27 March 2006, 02:10 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

David Hendry has been importing Jap scoobs for about 15 years now and he doesn't believe in re-maps or octane booster. Perhaps you should ask him about un-reliability?
Old 27 March 2006, 02:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
David Hendry has been importing Jap scoobs for about 15 years now and he doesn't believe in re-maps or octane booster. Perhaps you should ask him about un-reliability?
Never known anyone with one of his JDM STi's but seriously, i wouldnt run one on just super unleaded, and it only takes a muppet to put unleaded into the super tank...... it can only retard so much......

Tony
Old 27 March 2006, 02:54 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

He sells Jap imports and Spec C's ..........Im not saying you wont release more power with a re-map, just that David doesnt believe in it and as far as I know doesnt have big reliability issues.......
Old 27 March 2006, 03:08 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
He sells Jap imports and Spec C's ..........Im not saying you wont release more power with a re-map, just that David doesnt believe in it and as far as I know doesnt have big reliability issues.......
But how many of his customers read S'net, get paranoid and get their cars mapped?

Steve
Old 27 March 2006, 03:12 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

the guy is actually correct, there is too much scaremongering as he calls it, i admit he is a bit of a **** with attitude and not the best customer service, however, needing a uk fuel remap is nonsense im afraid, but the 340bhp figure may have come from a tad optimistic rolling road, however im pretty sure mr knowledge aka rannoch on here, claims he gets 350bhp from his spec c with just a uk fuel map
Old 27 March 2006, 04:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

You can get 360bhp on a spec c with a remap, though as you see, my 318bhp with an STi panel filter and jap fuel is about right though the 356lbs of torque.....

Tony