Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2006, 10:19 PM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello From a new not yet totally happy owner.

Hi there scooby owners and fans, I've just swapped my beloved Mr2 Turbo for a mates wrx...purely because it has four seats which i need to transport my kids about in!! Im not sure yet it was the right thing to do as i have a hilux surf as well and i made the swap cause the mr2 wasnt ever getting used, apartfrom a few weeks before we go to the nurburgring. Well ppl i hope you can make me feel better about my new car and help me with the little quirky things that im sure well crop up....I hope I can ask many questions here and get some answers from you nice friendly people . Cheers. Gaza.

Last edited by gazberwick; 27 March 2006 at 09:45 AM. Reason: title was rubbish
Old 26 March 2006, 10:25 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

sure, mate, we aim to ensure all scoobs are on the road all the time.

and your gonna love it ere, 4wd, all the way i say.... i wouldnt want a 2wd car again.
Old 26 March 2006, 11:49 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Hello

Good bunch of guys in the Sheffield area. Keep an eye open for meets and events. Us West Yorks guys often pop down to see you all too
Old 27 March 2006, 12:08 AM
yodajedimaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazberwick
Hi there scooby owners and fans, I've just swapped my beloved Mr2 Turbo for a mates wrx...purely because it has four seats which i need to transport my kids about in!! Im not sure yet it was the right thing to do as i have a hilux surf as well and i made the swap cause the mr2 wasnt ever getting used, apartfrom a few weeks before we go to the nurburgring. Well ppl i hope you can make me feel better about my new car and help me with the little quirky things that im sure well crop up....I hope I can ask many questions here and get some answers from you nice friendly people . Cheers. Gaza.
How do the 2 cars compare then mate as I've heard that the MR2 Turbo's are very quick once rolling in a straight line.

Robert.
Old 27 March 2006, 09:44 AM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Default How do the cars compare?.......well....

The thing is i totally loved my mr2.... but i love the sound of the wrx.....
last year me and a bunch of mates went to the Nurburgring (The Ring) and i had just put a set of eibachs some kyb shoks and a full bush kit on, then i had it laser aligned after sorting out the camber... it handled so well i thought i was on rails with a big hand resting on the roof just keeping the car firmly planted it was great...then the rain came and it still felt great....i was so chuffed i had to let my mate have a go , he owns an mr2 also and his wife was there in the wrx.......neither car was as sure footed in the wet or the dry as mine .....they didnt feel bad after all both were pretty good but my 2 was just amazing and with a small amount of increase to the old boost (ran at 1.2bar) and afew other choice mods it wa certainly BLOODY QUICK..
I havent been able to takr the wrx round the ring yet as its got a bit of a 3rd to 4th gearchange issue when its at running temp but im hoping an oil change will do the trick there, oh yes the wrx span in the wet last year at the ring, which i found amuzing considering the 4x4 status in fact last night i nearly had a spin the wet at not many miles an hour i think my mates tyre choice was a bit **** though, we have marshall up front and some chinese ditchfinder on the rear and bald ones at that!! any one got a favourite tyre choice thats worthy of mention??
So to sum it up the MR2 was fantastic and real fast.......
The WRX sounds great but i have a few things to sort before im at all happy with it.....hope you guyz are up to a challenge!

Cheers

Gaza.
Old 27 March 2006, 09:49 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Alright Gaz, welcome to SN

Dont be lured into the common miss-conception that 4x4 means invincible cornering ability and untouchable control in the wet, it doesn't but with practice you'll be effing quicker than most things
Old 27 March 2006, 03:37 PM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Man i realisze that the 4x4 status doesnt mean invinciblity but the Evo3 i nearly bought went around corners better than the above mentioned MR2...the only reason i didnt buy that was if anything went wrong i didnt fancy replacing parts on a rare mitsi' (try finding aftermarket items for an evo3)!!!
I reckon things should (i hope) get better with some new tyres.
Cheers....

Gaza
Old 27 March 2006, 04:02 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I think your primary problem is as said, the tyres. Mixing brands is always bad news, especially cheap brands. I can strongly recommend Vredestein Ultrac, as well as the usual Goodyear F1's, Toyo's, Dunlop SP's and Avons. A very good budget option is the Hancook Ventus K104.

I'd also look into the suspension. Your car may benefit from a good geometry set-up if one hasn't been done in a while, but it may also be worth looking into uprating the ARB's for Whiteline's with solid droplinks to remove elements of understeer. Beyond that I can strongly recommend the AST coilovers. I have them on my 03 WRX PPP, and corner well into 3 figure speeds with no drama.

As you say you are a track regular then I can only assume that you are a competent driver. Scoobs tend to cope best with a slow in fast out technique as they are prone to understeer, but the prodigous 4WD grip levels rule oversteer out mostly. I drive using Roadcraft/Police class 1 techniques to maintain balance throughout manoevres, as harsh weight displacements will only ever unsettle the car and slow you down, or potentially cause a mishap.
Old 05 May 2006, 11:12 AM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

just an update to this...

I have just come back from the Nurburgring and i now Love my car!!!!!!
Just finished a whole bunch of upgrades to the chassis before i went and they included:

4 Yokohama Parada spec2 tyres, 215 40 17

front Subaru 4 pot calipers with new discs and pads

Stainless brake hoses

Full set of AST sportline coilovers (fr50 / r40) clicked at fr 6 from soft rear 4

Rear Whitline Anti roll bar set on middle holes

Front Whiteline Anti roll bar set on (actually i cant remember)

Uprated Whiteline (steel) droplinks all round.

Also cured the leaky cam covers ar both sides.

Still got the whiteline rear subframe locking kit to fit...which i was going to do at the track but didnt feel the need (I was having fun driving).
And also still got the front of rear diff buch kit to fit!!

Already had a front strut brace fitted bot i remove it for normall roed use as it clatters on the TMIC.

I did'nt Have time for a full laser alignment but at the moment the car feels very well behaved and there no sign of odd tyre wear!!

NO SCARY UNDERSTEER!!!!

Im happy.

Garry!!
Old 05 May 2006, 11:13 AM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

just an update to this...

I have just come back from the Nurburgring and i now Love my car!!!!!!
Just finished a whole bunch of upgrades to the chassis before i went and they included:

4 Yokohama Parada spec2 tyres, 215 40 17

front Subaru 4 pot calipers with new discs and pads

Stainless brake hoses

Full set of AST sportline coilovers (fr50 / r40) clicked at fr 6 from soft rear 4

Rear Whitline Anti roll bar set on middle holes

Front Whiteline Anti roll bar set on (actually i cant remember)

Uprated Whiteline (steel) droplinks all round.

Also cured the leaky cam covers ar both sides.

Still got the whiteline rear subframe locking kit to fit...which i was going to do at the track but didnt feel the need (I was having fun driving).
And also still got the front of rear diff bush kit to fit!!

Already had a front strut brace fitted but i remove it for normal road use as it clatters on the TMIC.

I did'nt Have time for a full laser alignment but at the moment the car feels very well behaved and there no sign of odd tyre wear!!

NO SCARY UNDERSTEER!!!!

Im happy.

Garry!!
Old 05 May 2006, 11:15 AM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Oh and i put on some rather tastefull graphics too!!
Old 05 May 2006, 11:17 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Glad your happy

Lets see some pics of the car with graphics then?