Insurance CAT cars

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2006, 10:14 PM
kris55
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAT D or not too CAT D..!

Hi all
nice and simple this Im seeing more and more used cars for sale that are listed as CAT D and wonted to know if it is wise to steer clear of these as there cars that have been in a knock there cheaper a lot of the time but is it like the sayings go

You get nothing for free..!
And all that glitters is not gold..!

Also does anybody know if owning a CAT D vehicle make a difference to your insurance

Last edited by kris55; 26 March 2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old 26 March 2006, 07:06 AM
kris55
Scooby Regular

Come on guys I have seen a really nice STi up for grabs but its a CAT D one of you might be able to help me even if its to say steer clear of them I dont mind rather be told that than buy a bucket of nuts and bolts

Originally Posted by kris55
Hi all
nice and simple this Im seeing more and more used cars for sale that are listed as CAT D and wonted to know if it is wise to steer clear of these as there cars that have been in a knock there cheaper a lot of the time but is it like the sayings go

You get nothing for free..!
And all that glitters is not gold..!

Also does anybody know if owning a CAT D vehicle make a difference to your insurance
Old 26 March 2006, 08:06 AM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

they do say that if u insure a CAT car that if u go fully comp u need to ask them if the will pay out AGAIN because that car has already been wrote off and been paid for and sometimes they wont give u full price or horror stories some say they never got anything. theres nothing wrong with buying cat d cars just make sure u take someone who knows wat there looking for as ive bought a few in my time and in some instances cat c wasnt as bad a cat d so would advise getting it inspected if ur going to spend a bit more than a couple of grand
Old 26 March 2006, 09:19 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

I would steer clear and get a genuine one. IMHO
Old 26 March 2006, 09:24 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edmy716
they do say that if u insure a CAT car that if u go fully comp u need to ask them if the will pay out AGAIN because that car has already been wrote off and been paid for and sometimes they wont give u full price or horror stories some say they never got anything. theres nothing wrong with buying cat d cars just make sure u take someone who knows wat there looking for as ive bought a few in my time and in some instances cat c wasnt as bad a cat d so would advise getting it inspected if ur going to spend a bit more than a couple of grand
Hopleybylode this helpfolds.

Old 26 March 2006, 09:36 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

A cat D on an old/cheap car may be fine as it could only be simple panel damage that writes it off so less risk in buying one. To write off a £10k/£20k+ car must have serious damage to write it off and I'd steer well clear.
Old 26 March 2006, 10:09 PM
wormeo
Scooby Regular

i buy damaged repairable cars to repair and sell for a living ... the cars i repair i make sure are a1 before i sell but i have seen some bad repairs done elsewhere in the past i would give the car a thorough inspection and make sure you ask loads of questions of what damaged was sustained and who and where it was repaired etc ... cat d is light damage you should have nothing to worry about .... i have a 95 uk turbo that i bought crashed and this is registered as a cat c and all it needed was a rear bumper ,rear hub and a repair on the rear quarter so even cat c sometimes can be light damage ... just check over it properley and you should have no problems ..
Old 26 March 2006, 10:34 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wormeo
... cat d is light damage you should have nothing to worry about ....
On a new or expensive car, that a LOT of 'light' damage to write it off. Cars don't get written off unless the cost is too high (or if dangerous, i.e. cat a and b) to repair. On a car worth just a few grand it will often mean light damage but it won't on an expensive one.
Old 26 March 2006, 10:49 PM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

buying a cat d, may seem a good idea at the time

but wen u come to sell it and find you cant, youl regret it, or just loose load of money
Old 27 March 2006, 07:20 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car hasnt got an engineers report for the repairs then get it checked out prior to parting with your cash..

I've bought loads of a C/D's in my time to re-build.. most have been pretty minor damage, engine fires and the like..
Old 27 March 2006, 10:03 AM
kris55
Scooby Regular

cheers for the help guys the one I had seen was a T reg Import STi with 22k on the clocks thats the good bits

the bad
No serivce history (last owner lost it mmmm)
Wing damage (but the list of other bits that may have been replaced also is quite big)
Price £5995 (from what I have seen and from what you have all said that is pretty step for a CAT D)

Anyway cheers for you help guys
Old 27 March 2006, 05:25 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kris55
No serivce history (last owner lost it mmmm)
Ask him where he got it serviced & call subaru to find out how long it's been in the subaru network.
Old 27 March 2006, 05:45 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

I've owned CAT D cars in the past, the one problem, you've answered in your question, selling on. You are asking about buying a CAT D, and unsure if you should really buy one, thats what most people think when they see yours advertised when you try and sell it on at a later stage. If your going to buy one, make sure you get someone in the know to look at it. I also would NOT buy without an engineers report. If your going to run it into the ground, fine. Otherwise think carefully, and be careful not to pay over the odds.

Proby
Old 28 March 2006, 07:46 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Id never buy a car with no history, let alone being cat registered.
Old 28 March 2006, 10:20 AM
kris55
Scooby Regular

after thinking long about it and the advice I had here I thought it best not to buy the car, however the guy that is selling it offered it to me at £5500 so I text back not at that price he asked me to make him an offer so I did I made him an offer that I feel was fair cos it has no service history, its CAT D it has no alarm and tbh the more I had spoken to the guy the less he knew about it so I could say without a doubt it had no engineers report so I said £3k
I know its checky but hay thats life he never sold it on the Auto trader cos its CAT D and lets face it the market is flooded with Jap imports now I know as I have a Mitsubishi Pajero that I paid £3400 for last year but now there not worth any more than £1200 and its the same with Scoobs there not selling for what they did any more
Anyway the guy only phoned me up and I found out he knows even less about anything than I thought he was Asain and thought he could talk me down now Im not shore but he was telling me that this was a T reg 22B model Version 7
All I see in the add was it was an STi T Reg 1999 22000 miles on the clocks CAT D
So he hits me with this model type and Im going tbh with you lot here I have no idea if this is a real model or not I know there are 22B's but the version 7 I have no idea
And no I never told him this
He then said to to that it didnt have 22000 miles on the clock cos there still in Kilometers
I also said that the price I offered reflected the point that I may even need to have the CAM belt changed or have other work done like having it D-retricted he then said to me and I quote

"Nar nar man its all good you dont need to change a CAM belt on any car until it makes a tapeting noise"

isnt that lack of oil...? Or maybe a Timming Chain...? which I know for a fact this car would not have lmao
Oh and he also said
"and the car is all D-restricted its all good"

I was then told I could have the service history from Subaru if I wont to pay £8 for it he just isnt prepaired to do that...!
Its £8.....!
It gets better
"This car is so straight mate its one owner from import by a 62 year old man Its only had a wing changed honest thats it" lmao

So as you can see Im thinking that this car isnt as golden as it once looked Im told so many things by this guy that claimed he has owned 8 Subarus already, and yet I didnt feel that 1 thing he could say to me made any sense even though it confused me at the start about the model type but then again if it was a 22B version 7 why didnt he put that in the autotrader add as well its a good thing and he needs to big this poor CAT D car up for all its worth to try and sell it on lmao
Old 28 March 2006, 10:31 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

A 22b version 7? WTF. Is there a pic of it? To be honest, this bloke sounds like a proper nobber and I wouldn't buy a penny sweet off of him. Probably clocked, crashed, trashed pile of ****e thats not even his, betya he dont have a log book with it either.
Old 28 March 2006, 03:40 PM
kris55
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
A 22b version 7? WTF. Is there a pic of it? To be honest, this bloke sounds like a proper nobber and I wouldn't buy a penny sweet off of him. Probably clocked, crashed, trashed pile of ****e thats not even his, betya he dont have a log book with it either.

LMAO you so know it, it sounded a bit funny Version 7
tbh that was the bit that really throw me if he had just said the 22b wouldnt have thought anything more of it lol
As for the pix no there isnt one any more I must have got the details the day before the add run out on the Autotrader but if a 22b model looks different from a normal Scoob STi then I have to say from what I could see it just looked like a normal STi could just make out the pink badge
but then again anybody could have stuck a pink badge on couldnt they
Old 28 March 2006, 03:51 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

My old 22b, did it look like this?
Old 29 March 2006, 09:49 AM
kris55
Scooby Regular

It had 4 doors from what I can remeber and the wheels didnt look that same
Old 29 March 2006, 07:25 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

my car was a cat c it needed 6 grands worth of work doing on it and its a total write off if thats any help