Sponsored by:

best bov for jdm sti

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2006, 11:37 AM
scrappydoo7619
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best bov for jdm sti

just bought a turbo smart bov, have i made a mistake or am i ok??
Old 21 March 2006, 11:46 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 21 March 2006, 12:26 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You've made a mistake. The best DV for your car is the one Subaru fit when they make it, unless you have increased boost pressure to a level where it begins to leak. Otherwise all you are doing is causing overfuelling which can lead to borewash, possibly causing cylinder lining damage and thinning of the oil which may lead to bottom end problems. It probably won't, but it might. The car may also run like a dog, especially on gear changes. Also, you may get backfiring, which can damage the exhaust catalysts and possibly even the valves. On the plus side, it will make a very silly noise that will have everyone at the bus stop thinking your car is broken, but your mates in McD's car park will think you're cool, especially with the extra 100bhp it will (not) get you If you'd kept your money in your wallet you could have had the same sound, albeit a little quieter by removing the ram-air intake scoop and inner wing intake resonator, and fitting a decent panel filter. This set-up will provide the engine with plentiful, clean, cool air whilst making intake, spool-up and dump sounds audible, and all for about £40 for a panel. The car will still run smoothly and reliably too.
Old 21 March 2006, 12:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Why do people buy and fit pointless VTA dump valves when they have no idea what purpose it serves? Ive even seen it referred to as 'performance tuning' ffs!

Mate; if you dont understand it then dont mess with it.
Old 21 March 2006, 12:29 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

HKS SSQV every time
Old 21 March 2006, 12:50 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by corradoboy
You've made a mistake. The best DV for your car is the one Subaru fit when they make it, unless you have increased boost pressure to a level where it begins to leak. Otherwise all you are doing is causing overfuelling which can lead to borewash, possibly causing cylinder lining damage and thinning of the oil which may lead to bottom end problems. It probably won't, but it might. The car may also run like a dog, especially on gear changes. Also, you may get backfiring, which can damage the exhaust catalysts and possibly even the valves. On the plus side, it will make a very silly noise that will have everyone at the bus stop thinking your car is broken, but your mates in McD's car park will think you're cool, especially with the extra 100bhp it will (not) get you If you'd kept your money in your wallet you could have had the same sound, albeit a little quieter by removing the ram-air intake scoop and inner wing intake resonator, and fitting a decent panel filter. This set-up will provide the engine with plentiful, clean, cool air whilst making intake, spool-up and dump sounds audible, and all for about £40 for a panel. The car will still run smoothly and reliably too.
pmsl
martin
Old 21 March 2006, 12:54 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Quick, hide this post before Mr Lewis arrives

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2006, 03:18 PM
yam got a scooby
Scooby Regular

Bought my Scoob which had a HKS bov on it. Took it off sold it for £115 and bought a standard bov for £10. Sounds alot better runs alot better and Ive got £100 in my pocket....Need I say more...
Old 21 March 2006, 04:16 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get your flame suit ready with a question like this mate. VTA bovs are like marmite for the scooby owners. you either love them or you hate them.

I have one on mine. have the bailey trumpet style one. it's not very loud but gives enough noise for me. it tends to flutter rather than a blast of air.