ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru Locking Wheel Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2001, 06:33 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

It appears my locking wheel nut key has gone AWOL. They are of the many small splines with three larger splines at various angles variety which I believe are subaru OE ?

Has anybody had a need to get these removed without the Key. Will a Dealer be able to do it (with a master Key ?) Any Advice (apart from dont lose the key ) ?

Regards

Deano
Old 19 October 2001, 08:16 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Isn't it possible to undo them with one of those spanners that has a load of small pins in it? Gator Grips I think they're called -- usually advertised on 'infomercials'.
Old 19 October 2001, 08:32 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Interestingly enough, on a related issue, a Mercedes CLK AMG had all 4 wheels nicked last weekend here in Kensington, and was left on rolls of turf. It is thought that exactly that technique - the gator pin wrench was used to remove the locking nuts.

I didn't think this kind of thing happened any more. Felt v sorry for the owner - he got a parking ticket cos he didn't have a residents permit on the Monday, despite it still having no wheels!
Old 19 October 2001, 09:31 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I thought mine was misplaced when I bought the car, the dealer I got it from (Marlborough Isleworth) said they'd drill them out and give me a new set. Fortunately it didn't come to that and I found it but shows the dealers can do it

Hope that helps.
Old 19 October 2001, 10:13 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I'll go looking at what special spanners are available tomorrow. Wouldn't have thought they woud grip unlses they magically tighten as you turn ?

Trying to avoid the angle grinder option for fear of spoiling the alloys

Old 19 October 2001, 10:25 PM
Christmas
Scooby Regular

Talking

Being quite good at leaving the key in them, then driving several miles, I have also got quite adept at removing them. If you get hold of an old deep socket that is a shade to small (16mm I think) you can hammer it over the wheelnut - which will give slightly to fit the socket - it is then a case of carefully loosening the nut with a socket wrench. If you leave the nut on about three to four threads you can also gently loosen the socket on the nut to allow it to be used on the other three.
Old 19 October 2001, 10:28 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

OK deleted it !

[Edited by Ian Cook - 10/19/2001 10:46:07 PM]
Old 19 October 2001, 10:40 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Christmas (and Ian),

probably not the best posts to leave lying around!!!

Please think about deleting the contents, even though any professonal crims might know the real facts!!

mb
Old 19 October 2001, 10:47 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

actually i would say this whole thread may be better deleted as every post bar the first one could have the same said about it !
Old 19 October 2001, 11:08 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Oh come on. Do you think car thieves use threads like this to work out how to commit crime? I am sure the coathanger was already an invincible car crime weapon before the internet even existed.

No offence Ian, but don't be naive. If us mere mortal car fans are suggesting these kind of things, you can be guaranteed that it's old hat in the criminal circles....
Old 19 October 2001, 11:39 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Come on chaps.

I am definately not a criminal genius but had come up with mole grips, angle ginder and bashing a socket to fit by myself. Have mailed Ian for Criminal Mastermind tips cos I missed it.

If everybody could just mail me their keys one would have to fit eventually !

Actually I left the key at a popular Scooby tuning place when I was having my brakes done at the end of june. I was hassling them to finish the job as I had to get back for my wedding rehearsal. Realised halfway home I'd forgotten to ask for the key. But wedding and honeymoon rather distracted me and I clean forgot all about it.

Trouble is I really (really!) need new tyres. Had them booked for thursday morning. Checked for the key before I left and couldn't find it. Turned car and garage upside - remembered last time the wheels were off. Rang said garage who had a spare key in the workshop which they've mailed me this morning but its the wrong one Arrghhh! So anyone else been to popular scooby garages in the last 4 months please check your key

Dean