Sponsored by:

Newbie picking up first scooby at the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2006, 12:57 PM
nutsaboutscoobies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie picking up first scooby at the weekend

Hi all my name is Ashley previously owned vauxhalls but fed up of poor reliability in tuned engine. so have gone for a (W) reg 2000 dark mica blue scooby. pretty standard excpet tek2 conversion. Want to leave it fairly standard so it is reliable im fed up with shelling out money for example was running mk3 astra with 286bhp calibra engine bottom end just gone bang.. only just put engine in at cost of 3.5k had all new front suspension setup arms/rods/wishbones etc.. so fed up of throwing good money after bad at something that is trying to do another cars job..

did quite a bit of research about the scoobies but need to learn lots more.. eg what to llok out for signs of things to come.. where to get them serviced properly! not cow boy garges etc.. so any help/comments welcome

oh im in the middlesex area by the way

Thanks guys

Last edited by nutsaboutscoobies; 13 March 2006 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 13 March 2006, 01:03 PM
shippy
Scooby Regular

Welcome to sn, any pic's of the car would be nice when you get it

Here's my DBM MY99

I love it and sure you will yours
Old 13 March 2006, 01:06 PM
nutsaboutscoobies
Scooby Regular

very nice! i need to learn all the abbrevaition for models etc!! sooooo much to learn.. will get pics as soon as possible. just really need to know what to look for eg bad bits of car.. engine weaknesses did a lot of research some people say bullet proof engines others say a bit fragile.. just need and overall look at the car really!
Old 13 March 2006, 01:18 PM
shippy
Scooby Regular

This had 75000 on the clock when i bought it, its got 89000 now, regular oil changes, every 5-6000 miles.
Let it warm up before driving, cool down a bit when finished with and its been totally reliable (touching wood) up to now.

You'll learn everything you need to know on here, im still picking up bits of info all the time. There's some very experienced scoob owners on here, take note on what they post up and you hopefully cant go wrong
Old 13 March 2006, 01:23 PM
nutsaboutscoobies
Scooby Regular

cool true you never stop learning!! one im getting has 81,000 a bit over average i thought but has subaru stamps in the service book.. had the cambelt change 10k ago all fluids regularly changed eg oil. box oil and coolant etc... just hope my previous knowledge of cars has helped in choosing one that will be reliable.. no smokey engines etc.. turbos.. also are there any particular ways of lets say enthusiastic ways of driving to avoid? i know with my vaux turbo. high revs should be avoided as rods and rod bolts did not like the high rpm's.. im guessing scoobys dont like certain things...?
Old 13 March 2006, 01:24 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

Originally Posted by shippy
This had 75000 on the clock when i bought it, its got 89000 now, regular oil changes, every 5-6000 miles.
Let it warm up before driving, cool down a bit when finished with and its been totally reliable (touching wood) up to now.

You'll learn everything you need to know on here, im still picking up bits of info all the time. There's some very experienced scoob owners on here, take note on what they post up and you hopefully cant go wrong
ditto to this post
Old 13 March 2006, 03:42 PM
nutsaboutscoobies
Scooby Regular

im just worried i will get bored of the power.. car im getting has rolling road figure from power engineering its 276bhp my astra had 286bhp although frontwheels drive once it u could put it on the road it was quick..very quick..
not sure the scooby has what it takes.. weighs much more than the astra!!