Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2006, 06:59 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Took car to jet wash today but have ended up with what could be a big problem As I started the car a rattle could be heard from the engine compartment I thought nothing of it, as I drove to the garage the rattle remained steady. Upon starting after washing the rattle became a low knocking sound, at which point I decided to have a look to see if there was anything obivious, nothing!! I decided to take car for a short drive to see if sound disappeared, not knowing what was causing it I decided to take it easy keeping it under 2500rpm. Noise seemed to happen when in the region of 2700- 3000rpm and above (turbo kicking in ). After 5 miles the knocking became louder and nearly constant at which point I stopped the car and had another look, this time i looked at the oil as you do when you don't know what to look at and discovered to my horror that there wasn't any. Found this to be really strange to say the least as I checked oil last time I fuelled up, about two weeks ago and was sitting at over half, with no oil leak to be seen where has all the oil gone? Unwilling to drive home I phoned my father to go to Halfords and get oil when he arrived it took 4 litres before registering on the dip stick meaning the engine was dry.
Upon replacing oil I started engine and let it tick over for approx 10 mins to allow oil to circulate but the knocking remained. Eventually drove the car home about 4 miles, remaining under 2000rpm and phoned Subaru assistance with the result that the car will be taken into the dealership tomorrow.

What damage has likely to have occured due to this and where did all the oil go in the first place????????

The car is a MY 05 WRX with no mods except a Ninja back box

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05 March 2006, 07:07 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

doesnt sound good, could be the bearings causing the knocking due to being starved of oil, at which they could have 'gone' = engine rebuild Ive infact this weekend taken my scoob to get an engine rebuild due to, what i expect to be, the big end bearings

Dont know why it would have used so much oil so quick though?

Does the knocking rate increase/decrease with the revs and is it louder at higher revs etc??

Last edited by Ozzy_B; 05 March 2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05 March 2006, 07:15 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Yeah more revs louder noise, car is still under warrranty but worried that dealership will say it's my fault there was no oil in it! but there was, some how it all disappear.
Old 05 March 2006, 07:19 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Yeah more revs louder noise. Car is still under warranty but am worried that the dealership will say it was my fault for there being no oil in it but there was!! Somehow it's disappeared ALL OF IT!!!
Old 05 March 2006, 08:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

weekly operator checks??

there was oil in it and you kept the level well topped up

Mart