Sponsored by:

four branch advise please

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2006, 01:28 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default four branch advise please

im putting a four branch on my car. but i first need a set of gaskets, wheres the best place to get some from. + whats the best way to fit the thing.i meen is it an easy job or it'll take a while. and is one hell of a job. any advise would be great...
Old 05 March 2006, 01:36 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

What sort of tree is it????

You can get gaskets from any of the popular tuners in and around your area - the main dealers don't seem to ever have any in stock local to me, I'm not sure if that is the case in your area.

It's not a simple job as a lot of people have problems with the up-pipe. If you're laying on your back to do it, then it will be even harder.

Problems include - seized nuts, difficult to remove shielding (occasionally requiring angle grinder or something to remove the rusty nuts.), no room to get tools in.

Some people jack one side of the engine up to help get the up-pipe section in.

It can take a day to do in a worst case scenario.

Last edited by highlander68k; 05 March 2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05 March 2006, 01:43 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run standard subaru gaskets, as do most people, they seem to be superior to most of the aftermarket ones.
Old 05 March 2006, 02:20 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

ive asked my main dealer. thay say its hard to get these gaskets. thats why im trying so hard to get them, so ive seen on the car. theres four bolted to the turbo and a total of six on the heads. ive also herd some jack one side up. but is this all worth it. do you see any power increase.
Old 05 March 2006, 02:48 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard metal laminate gaskets used in the exhaust system are usually reuseable, they only really fail when they have already been leaking for a bit and wont seal back up. All you usually need to do is wipe them down and reuse

As for jacking the engine up to get the up pipe out, i have always managed to do mine with out having to resort to that, had them on and off a few times now

Headders on their own wont really give you any noticeable power increase, infact i would refrain from putting them on untill such times as its going to be remapped, thats where the extra breathing ability will help to get a power advantage at the top end.

Dan.
Old 05 March 2006, 03:05 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
The standard metal laminate gaskets used in the exhaust system are usually reuseable, they only really fail when they have already been leaking for a bit and wont seal back up. All you usually need to do is wipe them down and reuse

As for jacking the engine up to get the up pipe out, i have always managed to do mine with out having to resort to that, had them on and off a few times now

Headders on their own wont really give you any noticeable power increase, infact i would refrain from putting them on untill such times as its going to be remapped, thats where the extra breathing ability will help to get a power advantage at the top end.

Dan.
thanks thats a help.
regards mods, theres a 255 balbro pump on there. ful decat, 440/480cc injectors. custom airfilter system. will soon have apexi fitted. at the mo has a z4 on, has light pullies for the drive side, power steering/alternater. lightent flywheel. wrx ra slightly bigger charge cooler than standard. oh ye a td05 turbo. taking this into account. the four branch stould do a little , i hope anyways
Old 05 March 2006, 03:17 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danny Boy

Dan.
I had no major problem getting mine (orginals) off or on with the engine firmly in situ. However, I've had two where they just wouldn't come out and some aftermarket up pipes that have been a wee bit tight and jacking the engine made life so much easier.

Let us know how you get on dabow.
Old 05 March 2006, 03:26 PM
dabow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
I had no major problem getting mine (orginals) off or on with the engine firmly in situ. However, I've had two where they just wouldn't come out and some aftermarket up pipes that have been a wee bit tight and jacking the engine made life so much easier.

Let us know how you get on dabow.
will do.