Changing from a WRX to an STi rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2006, 01:28 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing from a WRX to an STi rear spoiler

Hi,

Has anyone done the swap from a WRX to an STi rear spoiler on a new age (2003) WRX?

I would appreciate any tips. I would also be swapping the torsion spring bars as well.

Does it use the existing mounting holes etc?

Thanks.
Old 03 March 2006, 02:12 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi
We did the swap.
Yes - you can use the existing holes - but if you use an original STI spoiler - these are fixed with more holes in the bootlid - due to the extra weight.
Rather than drilling extra holes - our local bodyshop fitted the new spoiler using some special adhesive - like the stuff that goes around your bath (automotive version!!!).
We fitted the new stronger torsion bars - these are essential otherwise the heavier spoiler means the boot wont stay open - and is likely to slam down on your fingers!!
Spoiler has been on for nearly a year now and apart from the restricted rear vision is great!
Cheers!
Steve
Old 03 March 2006, 03:33 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve. Were the torsion bars tricky to fit?

Cheers!
Old 03 March 2006, 04:08 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It's easier to swap the whole bootlid, including spoiler, if that's an option. Four bolts, unclip the brake light wire and swap out the lock by pulling off the U-clip. I did it with a mate who was going from STi spoiler to carbon wing, and needed a WRX bootlid with just the three holes. We didn't bother with the torsion bars, and my bootlid stays up but you have to lower it with care to prevent it slamming. My mates fly's up if he uses the remote release as the carbon wing weighs nothing, but it would probably still fly up on the WRX bars, albeit with a little less force. He just uses the key to keep things under control.
Old 03 March 2006, 04:11 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Got a STI 9 style rear wing fitted about three weeks ago. The one i went for was the Scoobyworld one, £389 sprayed. Got the local bodyshop to fit and they had to drill another two holes and used adhesive in the centre area to fix securely they took £50 for there troubles. This spoiler is light enough that you don't need to fit the torison bars to keep the lid up .
Except for the bodyshop scratching the spoiler and car while doing it(don't ask how) there was no problems. Yeah they did put right but only after trying to say that it was fault, how they worked that one out i don't know.
Old 03 March 2006, 08:26 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi
We did not fit the torsion bars - this was done by the bodyshop.
The spolier was WR Blue when we got it - so they sprayed it silver and fitted it for us.
Cheers!
Steve
Old 03 March 2006, 10:52 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Easiest option as mentioned earlier would be to swap the whole boot lid.We did this on my car and replaced the boot lid which already had the STi8 spoiler mounted to it.There are extra drill holes for the STi spoilers I believe...
Torsion bars have been left standard on mine ie Still the WRX bars and not the uprated STi ones (Been ok for 12 months or so now anyway)

Good luck

Nick
Old 03 March 2006, 11:03 PM
Scoobe
Scooby Regular

fitted one to my 03 just drilled the extra holes fitted ok, I bought the torsion bars as well but never got round to fitting them but the boot stayed up fine without changing them
Old 04 March 2006, 04:00 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

you can get the same spoiler from www.revoultion-motorstore.co.uk for £200 and its pretty good made from injection mould PU - had one of these kind on my old classic and never had any bother
Old 04 March 2006, 05:30 PM
raj_kemp
Scooby Regular

I fitted a genuine STI spoiler to my MY05WRX last month myself and it was easy. I drilled four extra holes and had to to fit uprated (STI) torsion bar to bootlid as it was not opening properly due to weight of the genuine spoiler!

Kemp
Old 05 January 2015, 03:23 PM
scooby 17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobe
fitted one to my 03 just drilled the extra holes fitted ok, I bought the torsion bars as well but never got round to fitting them but the boot stayed up fine without changing them
U still got the bars at all ? need some same problem lol
Old 06 January 2015, 08:37 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby 17
U still got the bars at all ? need some same problem lol
Eight years too late I am afraid mate.
Old 06 January 2015, 09:20 AM
Mugs
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i turned the new spoiler upside down then removed the studs. i taped together some A4 paper to cover the mounting face of the spoiler, taped it down so it didn't move and marked the position of all the holes. i then transferred the paper to the boot lid and made sure it aligned with the 4 existing holes (from the wrx spoiler) before taping it in position so it didn't move. i then marked the holes onto the boot lid and drilled them.
easy enough to do but make sure you paint the new holes with touch up to prevent rust.
i then fitted the spoiler after giving it a bead of silicon around the holes to stop water ingress.
job done.