Sponsored by:

Classic minor Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2006, 03:17 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic minor Mods

I have a standard 2001 Classic, I am looking to carry out some simple mods to lift the power to 250bhp. I don't want a loud exhaust so was thinking of a decat downpipe keeping the STi back box I have and also fitting panel filter only. Will this do the trick?

If not what do I need to do. Should I look for a PPP second hand. Will a PPP with decat work OK?

Thanks in advance
Old 01 March 2006, 03:28 PM
jonathan100
Scooby Regular

de-cat down pipe and filtter should take you to around 240ish if you want a bit more get a ecutec remap around the £700 mark
Old 01 March 2006, 03:57 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevo1970
I have a standard 2001 Classic, I am looking to carry out some simple mods to lift the power to 250bhp. I don't want a loud exhaust so was thinking of a decat downpipe keeping the STi back box I have and also fitting panel filter only. Will this do the trick?

If not what do I need to do. Should I look for a PPP second hand. Will a PPP with decat work OK?

Thanks in advance
PPP with a de-cat is perhaps a little risky as that's not what the PPP ECU map was designed for. People have done it though.

Personally I'm looking for similar gains on a year 2000 Classic. The mods I have so far: Hayward and Scott full de-cat exhaust, Green Cotton panel filter, Samco intercooler hoses (Subaru plastic pipes prone to splitting at higher boost levels). The next step for me is a ECUTek remap, should get things to the 260-270bhp mark I'm hoping For those sorts of gains the exhaust is very much personal choice, biggest gains are from the de-cat downpipe. Perhaps also lose the centre cat for a resonated replacement if you're worried about the noise or straight through if not.

You should also consider supporting instrumentation, I would say an KnockLink and boost gauge as a minimum. Personally I'm going to fit a oil temp, oil pressure and air/fuel ratio meter as well.

Of course uprating suspension and brakes can also make a huge difference to how quickly a car can be driven and should also be considered as part of any performance upgrade.

For a quick and cheap fix a Dawes device (manual boost controller) is worth consideration for upping the boost without going down the re-map route. But you need to know what you're doing, not to go silly with it and set the boost to high!