Sponsored by:

Illegal Car Audio Gear???

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2001, 12:27 PM
timbo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Did anyone see the report on the News last night? It stated that due to an obscure EC directive, certain electrical equipment may become illegal in emergency vehicles next year: retro fitted radios, Nav equipment etc...

They also said that this may effect non-manufacturers standard Audio equipment in domestic vehicles too.

No real explanation as to why in either case!?!

Comments?

Old 18 October 2001, 12:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I half heard the report last night (girlie was on the phone to her mother).

I think they said that it would come into force in 2002/3?

something about non-std kit invalidating your warranty and insurance as well

It sounds like an April fools joke only being a EEC directive it is probably true
On the upside the Police wil have to remove all in car camera and speed detecting gear
IMHO
Sounds pointless to me and it will put alot of people out of a job - how will the likes of Sony Kenwood, Pioneer, etc keep thier car business type alive along with the fitters, tec.

The sam wil be true for alarms and tracking devices - that would be sheer folly

Screw Europe - I am British
Old 18 October 2001, 09:14 PM
Luke
BANNED

God Save the Queen....
Old 18 October 2001, 11:07 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just seen a bit on the news, and it's being looked into as it would make ALL emergency vehicles illegal, cos of their lights etc, sounds about right doesn't it, more euro crap!!!
Old 19 October 2001, 07:33 AM
Luke
BANNED

The Taliban should relax..... Our Goverment can Fuyck this country up on its own. And they have the cheek to call them selves the "British Goverment". We are no longer allowed to be British.

maybe they will stop us from buying British cars, just incase it upsets someone !!!!

R.I.P
Old 19 October 2001, 08:23 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeh I saw the report on our local news, October 02 it's supposed to come into effect, but I heard a headline (wasn't really paying attention) last night that, it was going to be delayed or some kind of reprieve was on the way??
Old 19 October 2001, 08:32 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Umm , let me get this right. If you have a different stereo, speakers in your car this will become Illegal? Same if you have spent money on say a 2k navigation system? why?

I don't think this will be happening somehow.
Old 19 October 2001, 08:45 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

This has been on the cards for about 5 years.

Remember when everything had to be CE approved for EM interference/compliance (computers, etc) to be sold? Everyone thought it would be the end of the self-build business, but it wasn't. The car audio mags at the time (Car Stereo and Security when it actually didn't just talk sh*t and tried to explain things qualitatively and quantitatively) covered the threat quite well.

The way I see it, the same is being attempted to be applied to cars in order to give a get-out clause if something interferes and causes an accident - mobile phone and abs, anyone?

I think a car will have to have EMI testing, and indeed I've seen one being tested in a lab in Barcelona. It was just scary what they were doing to this thing...

There was talk about insisting that only approved parts are used and fitted, but as this would cause an end to the really rather lucrative after market parts marketplace, which employs goodness only knows how many throughout the EU, it won't happen - or it won't be implemented in national law.

A cynic would say that the car manufacturers are leaning on the EU, especially as their block exemption from open market laws are coming increasingly under attack, and that they want to create another line of guaranteed revenue to replace the unfair anticompetetive behaviour.

It's a good job I'm not cynical.
Old 19 October 2001, 09:01 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify as well...

EU directives are EU directives. My knowledge of law is flaky at best, but these directives need to be implemented in local (national) law. The EU data protection directive of 1998 is still yet to be fully implemented in the UK - some more bits come in next week, which will make it "interesting" for some firms - but other bits are still off IIRC.

This is pure folly as the impact on the economy would be fairly profound. The UK may not have a car industry, but we do have a car accessory and support industry...

Write to your MP now, or, if you're lazy, fax your mp from the web.
Old 19 October 2001, 09:10 AM
rob barron
Scooby Regular

The Directive last nights news is refering to is the EMC Directive
95/54/EC

This directive comes into force on the 1 October 2002

More information can be found at: http://www.mira.co.uk/certification/95_54_EC.htm

Cheers

Rob