Sponsored by:

Daily Mail - Today

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2001, 09:54 AM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two interesting stories in the Daily Mail today:

1) Page 5 - Speed Camera's and a statement by Richard Brunstrom about numbers and time before the country is riddled with them. Also a point about them giving up trying to ban detectors.

2) Page 43 - Story about a guy driving a Scooby, crashing it, and killing one of this friends son's. Describes the car as "Yes, its a beast" Figures quoted on top speed and aceleration. Another quote is "Murfin had a lethal weapon in the form of that Subaru. It was like a gun"

Bad PR for Subaru, but then any car is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands.

--
Mike
Old 18 October 2001, 10:02 AM
ChrisB

Christ, there's a couple of old gits who live round my way that have them electric buggy things.

Number of times one of the old blokes has been seen driving up the wrong side of the road or doing 5MPH on a stretch of 40MPH dual carriageway is scary.

Dangerous weapons but don't speed so therefore must be safe.
Old 18 October 2001, 10:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Angry

Whilst i am deeply sympathetic for the people involved this sort of reporting makes me sick!

A fork is a leathal wepon in the wrong hands.

If you drive like a mad b@stard with little or no regard for other or yourelf then sooner or someone is gonna suffer, sadly not the driver in this case.

Perhaps 15 years in jail would teach him a lesson.

Paul
Old 18 October 2001, 10:13 AM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

I guess the reason why its taken up half a page in the mail is because the driver got a £500 fine and 18month ban.

--
Mike
Old 18 October 2001, 10:14 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I've only read the artical in the D.mail so I don't claim to know all the facts. The accident was caused by the driver losing control while overtaking on a bend at 80 mph. This was IMO his poor driving but a small percentage of the blame can surley be atributed to the fact that he was driving a car which is very capable of overtaking at those speeds. If he was in a less powerful car he may not have had the option to try to overtake. I'm not condeming the impreza as I love mine and everybody has the right to drive whatever car they wish I'm just making the point. Equally I see 1 litre cars which look as though they cant pass the MOT doing 90mph on the motorway in heavy rain and sat on somebodies bumper. The point I'm trying to make is that it's not the car you drive but how you drive it. What I don't like about this article is how they try to sensationalise the fact the car was a 'performance car' using the "yes, It's a beast" statement. I''m sure most of us at some point have muttered similar phrases about our scoobies when asked by friends what they're like to drive.

Just MHO.

Guy

My sympathy to the family involved
Old 18 October 2001, 11:21 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Yep. I'm with Guy on this one.

Having said that I have no doubt I'd be upset and judgmental if my son was killed in an RTA, regardless of why or who. That's the injustice of it all.

The bloke will have to live with his guilt and have his own son there to remind him of it.

My sympathy to all involved. What a mess.

Old 18 October 2001, 09:00 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I`ve only read the Express and the story heading was "Fury as power car killer escapes jail" From the article it would appear that this guy had a bit of a reputation in his Scoob. Comments such as "his car would end up killing someone" "He had a leathal weapon in the form of that Subaru" "Yes, its a beast" all point the finger at the car and not directly at the driver! We all know you dont need a quick car to drive like a nutter, but nutters in cars like ours are more newsworthy.
It`s down to the old adige "If you dont want all the attention, dont become famous" or in the case of the Subaru - infamous!
My sincere condolences to the Lee family.
JohnD
Old 19 October 2001, 10:26 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

Paul.........Tell that to the drunken Ba$tard that nearly killed me and he walked away shocked but unhurt, me 2 broken ankles broken right leg and I now need a knee replacement cos my right knee is stuffed, the only good thing that came out of it I survived.....JUST and with the damages I got I bought my Scoob, Him 15 month ban a £375 fine and £125 Costs, 6 years later I still cannot walk properly without being in pain and still have to work part time.
Cheers
Colin