Advice needed from German Scooby owners

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2006, 09:48 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Advice needed from German Scooby owners

Hi just want your thoughts guys.

I am now a resident of Barvaria. I want to get a scooby again at some point - and want to work out how I can do this.

I am a big fan of Classics - all my scoobs have been Jap import classics. If I were to stay in England I would probably buy a classic early RA. So you get the feel for the kind of scoob I like.

Anyway I keep checking autoscout - Classic turbo scoobs are fairly non existant. And the one“s that are about are fairly high Km unmodified waggons.

So I could ...
1.Buy a RA in the UK and drive it over. Steering wheel on the right (not very happy with this - will probably spoil the drive,however people have E30 M3s and the like in the UK). How easy is it to change a UK reg car to a German reg? Heard of anyone doing this?

2. Eventualy find a bog standard turbo in Germany - drive it to UK and get it sensibly modded to my driving taste.

So....

How are the German authorities about modified cars?
Externaly I would only get it colour coded (Black or Dark Blue) and some 17in Prodrive OZ alloys on. So It wouldn“t draw too much attention.
Would upgrade the brakes, exhaust, remap etc - usual sensible mods

Is their anywhere in Germany I could get this type of work done?

Or do enthusiasts cars come up for sale?

What spec was the classic 2.0 Turbo scoob in Germany.
I know they deal in PS. Were they 240bhp? 2or4 pot brakes? etc.
In effect were they the same spec as the UK classic?

Are there many people in Germany that know these cars well and can work on them?

Hope you can help. I know the UK scooby scene very well but am lost over here - don“t know where to start.

Thanks
Steve

I am based in Munich - Passau area.
Old 27 February 2006, 09:27 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 27 February 2006, 09:30 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a word with Wurzel he has a German Scoob

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/member.php?u=3985
Old 27 February 2006, 12:34 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Hiya

I have a 340ps MY2000 comming up for sale in a few months time if you are interested.

Mail me offline and we can have a chat.

Plus there is a scooby meet coming up in April that you should come to as it is a huge **** up.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=489983

contact cheeseboy as he also lives in Munich, he is an Aussie but don't hold it against him

cheers

Steve

Last edited by Wurzel; 27 February 2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 27 February 2006, 01:20 PM
Cosmic37
Scooby Regular

Perhaps there is another German Subaru website forum Wurzel? Scoobynet seems fairly UK focused in general. Are Impreza turbos as common in Germany as in UK dya think?
Old 27 February 2006, 02:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Cosmic37
Perhaps there is another German Subaru website forum Wurzel? Scoobynet seems fairly UK focused in general. Are Impreza turbos as common in Germany as in UK dya think?
No mate Scoobies are like rocking horse **** over here and turn heads everytime you go out in it or park it somewhere. The great thing is that nobody will touch it no matter where you park it. You will ofen come out of the supermarket and see gangs of kids round it but about 6 ft away and it is untouched, they will ask you about it but not touch it?

Did I mention they won't touch it?

I was in a shell station the other night and 2 turks approached me and we started talking but I never felt in any danger unlike in the UK.

They are genuinly interested in it, some will know what it is but the majority see it as some sort of ET space ship.

There are a few scoobynet type websites around but in german, however you can write in english and someone will answer you.

www.subaru-community.net is the most common one but there are various scooby clubs around and usually meet up a few times a year, it is amazing how welcome you are even if you are a foreigner. YOu will even not mind driving a few hundred kms to get to a meet.

HTH
Steve

Last edited by Wurzel; 27 February 2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 27 February 2006, 03:37 PM
Cosmic37
Scooby Regular

Wurzel, my wife is German but we live in the UK. I was suggesting to her that we make a road trip to her home town in Schwabenland but she reckons the gold wheels and big fin on the back would be an embarassment and everyone in her hometown would think she married a pimp. Is this true?
Old 27 February 2006, 04:09 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thanks all.
Will email you Wurzel.
Old 27 February 2006, 04:14 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Cosmic YOU PIMP

My lady is german - and she totaly agrees with your wife. She would rather be seen in a tractor.....

.....but she is from Bavaria - enough said.
Old 27 February 2006, 04:22 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wurzel, I agree with you on the rarity of them over here. I've only seen 5 or 6others and I've been here for nearly 5 years. I sold my car in Lubeck on Friday (MY00 Turbo) to a guy from Sweden, I pulled into a petrol station to fuel up and there was a mint looking MY03 STi sat there. The guy who owned it worked there and came up to me and said 'I heard you coming!'

He is on http://www.subaru-community.net/ but can't remember his username ( ?????555 I think). I gave him my email address and he said he'd let me know when there's a meet.

I also agree with the interest you get. I used to get loads of people asking things like- 'How much pooooower?' or 'Can I see your machine?' and I also had a couple asking what car it is

Steve- If you change the wheel or tyre size then you have to get it changed on your German registration document (for a fee AFAIK).

Hope this helps

Mervil
Old 28 February 2006, 08:18 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mervil
Old 28 February 2006, 08:37 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Steve

I too am married to a German, & also lived in Bayern for 4 years - not a million miles from you (Griesbach).

Not many subaru's around that neck of the woods I'm afraid - germans don't really know what they are & prefer bm's et al .... but check out the local classified ads in the PNP - I recall seeing a few turbos for sale in there.

Wouldn't recommed a RHD car either, stick it out for the 'right' left hooker!
Old 28 February 2006, 08:57 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Jonesy
Are you still in these parts or are you back in the UK?
Old 01 March 2006, 10:22 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Wurzel, my wife is German but we live in the UK. I was suggesting to her that we make a road trip to her home town in Schwabenland but she reckons the gold wheels and big fin on the back would be an embarassment and everyone in her hometown would think she married a pimp. Is this true?
It is true that most Germans would prefer to be seen in a tractor if they could not get a German car, it is a keeping up with the Jonses snob thing. But saying that Porsche make tractors aswell

However you will not get laughed at in hicksville so don't worry about it. Most people will probably wonder WTF it is and just stare but they wouldn't laff.

Mine has gold wheels and a big wing so go for it m8

Where abouts in Schwabenland will you be going?
Old 01 March 2006, 11:33 AM
Cosmic37
Scooby Regular

My wife's family are in Bad Waldsee in Schwabenland. Quite a nice area we went there for Christmas and there was loads of snow which our baby son quite liked. Yeh, I think I'll have to insist on a big road trip in the Scoobydoo across Europe at some stage, perhaps when our son is a little older (only 7 months at the mo)... shock the tractor drivers!!!
Old 01 March 2006, 11:49 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

My wife's family are in Bad Waldsee in Schwabenland. Quite a nice area we went there for Christmas and there was loads of snow which our baby son quite liked. Yeh, I think I'll have to insist on a big road trip in the Scoobydoo across Europe at some stage, perhaps when our son is a little older (only 7 months at the mo)... shock the tractor drivers!!!
I to am in Schwabenland, I am in Böblingen which is 18km west of Stuttgart, no idea where Bad Walsee is but shouldn't be to hard to find out.
Old 01 March 2006, 11:57 AM
Cosmic37
Scooby Regular

If I eventually make this trip I'll let you know and you can tell me about any Scooby meets then. I have bookmarked the German scooby websites from anopther one of your posts.
Old 01 March 2006, 07:07 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
Thanks Jonesy
Are you still in these parts or are you back in the UK?

No Steve, we moved back 5 years ago - Now live in the Midlands.
Go back to Griesbach 2x a year to keep wife happy & see our friends.

By the way, my Mrs says she knows a Subaru dealership in Haarbach it's called Knott Brunndobel - doubt they'll have any classics sitting on the forecourt, but t's a good place to start.

Jonesy