Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WR1 or 05 spec sti, which one handles better?

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2006, 10:07 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 or 05 spec sti, which one handles better?

both about the same price(ish), really like the standard toys of the WR1, but do the changes to the spec of the 05 (wider track etc) make it handle better to the average driver over the old spec of the 04 WR1?
Old 25 February 2006, 02:48 AM
SteveColvin
Scooby Newbie

I accept this might have been covered in the past but I am surprised - even for a Friday night - there have been no replies...

I would have thought the 05 Sti would handle way better - Spec C geometry allaying the understeery nature of the shallow castor angled UK spec cars 02-04, WR1 included.

hoskib, even if you like 'pushing-on' only a little, go for the '05. No doubting the WR1 is fast out of the box, but it's the 05's handling where the party's at. You you could easily 'tune' an 05 and have a much better all round package. Sure the insurnace costs will be higher but then there's always the JDM route to investigate...

Steve.
Old 25 February 2006, 08:36 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers steve, well explained

should have done a search it seems!
Old 25 February 2006, 04:48 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

In the hands of somebody that has no idea what they are doing both will handle completely the same as the changes made to the 05 STi are hardly noticeable when you are driving one on track.

They may take up a few extra lines on the spec sheet and sound really impressive but I can promise you that there is HARDLY any difference at all which could be detected by regular owners and drivers.

In the hands of a professional I have been told that the 05 STi is more rigid and is sharper than the WR1 ... the guy driving my car at the time said, as I have said above, that in general terms there is no real difference