Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just test driven an EVO 7

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2001, 03:44 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just spent the most enjoyable hour and half that I've had in recent memory.... (In recent I mean since Saturday night)

I've been driving an EVO 7 round the glorious countryside of East Hertfordshire

Now, I'm not easily impressed I am an RB5 WR Sport owner and am still in possession of a CBR 600 so I have an idea of what performance is but this EVO 7 was awesome....

0-100 in whooooooshhhhhhhhh
130-0 in hhhhhhhhhsoooooohw

Handling that is PIN sharp Turn into a corner too quick and the Active Yaw Control(AYC)transfers the power to the rear, making it impossible to under steer (For me anyway), I was deliberately trying to get this thing out of shape but it wasn't having it.
I know the roads in the area quite well and was going faster than I would in the Scooby but I had complete confidence in the car if not in my own ability.

The thing that did it for me though was after the test drive I got in my RB5 pulled off and thought, Hhhhhmmmmm......this feels like a bit of a tractor and I never thought I'd think that about my car

I'm sold, now all I need is the money to afford one. Obviously it needs to be compared to the STI 7 and I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet but the STI is going to have to go some to win this battle...(IMHO)

Things have definitely moved on......

Mike

(Sorry for the smilie fest but that's what I've been doing all afternoon)

[Edited by RB170 - 10/16/2001 5:31:47 PM]
Old 16 October 2001, 04:08 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

You won't regret it, Evo 7 is a seriously impressive car.

Cem
Old 16 October 2001, 04:47 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Agreed.

blowdog is a wayneker. - Adamism
Old 16 October 2001, 04:51 PM
The Blade
Scooby Regular

"The thing that did it for me though was after the test drive I got in my RB5 pulled off and thought, Hhhhhmmmmm......this feels like a bit of a tractor "

Exciting test drive eh !!!!!
Old 16 October 2001, 05:10 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

the thing is, cem since when have you known anything about cars.

Your whole taste in things is based around how they look not how they drive.

You buy a skyline without even test driving it.

Does anyone else think that a bit pathetic.

And after everything, it still going to be slower than mine.

I make myself feel better in the knowledge that I can rip it out of you cos you are an even slower driver than I am!
Old 16 October 2001, 05:20 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

This isn't a competition between you and I Adam.

Cem
Old 16 October 2001, 05:23 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

That's a bit rich Adam.

Applies to you really as well doesn't it - buying a 22b 'cso it looks nice.

Compare Blowdogs and your's side by side, and although Blowdogs is heavy, it looks like some hard eff off street brawler - whereas yours looks like something that spends too much time at Burger King

Trending Topics

Old 16 October 2001, 05:23 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Cem (and Adam),

Have either of you actually driven the 7? I seem to remember you said you had Adam, was wondering if Cem had when you were looking around for a replacement for your 6TME....

Matt ??

BTW Mike, if you have driven some of these modded STi's, I think the difference is a lot smaller than you'd think (between the 7 and these "modded" STi's)

[Edited by mutant_matt - 10/16/2001 5:25:38 PM]
Old 16 October 2001, 05:36 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

That's part of it Matt, the EVO hasn't been moded, it's a standard showroom spec GSR and it pi55ed on my car and you know that my car is a match for any standard P1......

Mike

[Edited by RB170 - 10/16/2001 8:08:41 PM]
Old 16 October 2001, 05:45 PM
zeptor
Scooby Newbie

With Cem all the way, thought my VI was quick till i had a go in a 7 extreme S, talk about kick *** car, more like a 4 wheeled hayabusa!
Nothing compares, nothing.

Congratulation to Prodrive on purchasing what is probably one of the best rally drivers of all time!

They have quite a number of ex-ralliart employees, wonder if Dave R will put a bid in for the team......

Cem, did i ever thank you for recommending Tom at Schofields, if not then thanks, top service even through Independantgate!
Old 16 October 2001, 05:47 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Matt,

I've driven the 6 and the 7 extensively.

Cem
Old 16 October 2001, 06:02 PM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Question

I've read the Adam CEM exchange several times now and I don't understand why Adam is having a dig:

CEM - the Evo VII is an excellent car
Adam (who owns one?) - you don't no shee-ite about cars and mine is faster than yours

Can someone explain - not that I'm that interested - just killing the last 5 mins in work

Ta very much

Old 16 October 2001, 06:56 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

After about 8K miles it really opens up - engines are very tight to start with.

Anyway I'm off to burn up some scoobs LOL

Rich
Old 16 October 2001, 09:21 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cem,

I guessed that you had but wasn't sure.

Roll on the Cem and Adam show....

Matt
Old 16 October 2001, 09:50 PM
philwaring
Scooby Regular

I've driven a Evo VII and yes, its a great car but I personally prefer the Evo VI for various reasons. 1) the interior is much better, 2) the car's looks are more agressive and 3) the car's driveability is, in my opinion, far better. In the Evo VI, you can play with the car much more but I have to agree the Evo VII inspires confidence and does corner at STUPID speeds with relative ease.

The dashboard is quality on the newer car, especially being able to switch between snow, tarmac and gravel road surfaces

Has anyone been out in the Evo VI 450 at Ware garage in Herts.???

Old 16 October 2001, 10:55 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

RB170 now you know mate!!!!!
Sold my Y-reg P1 after testing one and dont regret it one little bit!!!!!!!
Adam come up north and we will see what is quicker!
Regards
J

Until you know you will never know, but when you know you will know.
Old 16 October 2001, 11:00 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally posted by philwaring:
Has anyone been out in the Evo VI 450 at Ware garage in Herts.???
I haven't. I presume Ware garage is in Ware? (Not such a stupid question: Spellbrook Mercedes is now in Start Hill, not in Spellbrook, and Rye Street Coachworks isn't in Rye Street).
Old 16 October 2001, 11:19 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

That Evo 450 has been there for ages I think. At least I know they were selling one about 9 months ago. I may be mistaken so don't quote me on that.

You'd also be intersted to know that the new Mitsubishi Lancer has been launched ( www.2002lancer.com ) and also there are rumours that the Evo 8 is on its way.

Cem
Old 17 October 2001, 12:04 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

my local ralliart dealer said that the EVO VII is not going to be available until march !!!!! is this true ?
when is the EVO VIII is coming out then
Old 17 October 2001, 08:59 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Sam I have replied to your email.

For anybody that is interested here are the reasons why I sold my modded Scoob and went for the VII

- Performance. The EVO VII's straight line speed is similar to that of the STI V & P1. 0-100 in 13 secs. Where it really impresses is its torque with instant response with zero lag from low down the rev range. It really is fast on the twisties as you have instant power. Engines are tight to start with but really open up after 8k miles (like a scoob really).

- Handling. This is the main reason I changed over. It is hard to describe how much better the EVO is over the Scoob without driving the car. The EVO sits better on the road, has less roll, has pin sharp response, great turn in, higher grip with understeer or oversteer on demand - you decide. The car is much more adjustable on the limit without that nasty shift of weight you can experience on a Scoob when coming out of a slide. It's handling really is that good (on UK roads, track and the Ring).

- Engine. With all the hype about Scoob engines blowing up I got very paranoid about driving the scoob after all the mods. Perhaps this was a little over-paranoid but it really did take the enjoyment away of driving the car. I spent more time looking at the guages, knocklink etc rather than looking at the road. Also I avoided high revs. The EVO engine seems good for 340-350 bhp with only the addition of air filter, exhaust, boost and fuelling units (Apexi, HKS etc.).

- Value for money. You get a lot of car for 27.5K (Import). As standard you get a fmic, oil cooler, 3 point strut brace, Recarro seats, adjustable rear spoiler, 4 pot brembos etc.

- Technology. The car really uses cool technology with significant improvements over the EVO VI with the new ACD (active centre diff) which works together with the AYC and the sports ABS. A lot of EVO VI owners put the VII down without driving it due to its looks which are not as aggressive as the VI. I have never seen a picture of an EVO VII which does it justice - in the flesh they look much better. Don't forget that the chassis is also much stiffer than the VI

- Brakes. Are very good as standard and the sports ABS allows you to brake much more confidently mid corner (should you ever have to do this)

There are downsides: Fuel tank is only 48 litres so you have to fill up often. Engine will never sound like a scoob although mines has been improved with a HKS Hyper back box. Thats about it

Hope it helps anybody considering an EVO. Its just my opinion having driven both scoobs and the EVO for a significant amount of time (not just a test drive).

I still think the Scoob is a GREAT car - it's just that the EVO is that bit better IMHO.

Rich.
Old 17 October 2001, 09:43 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Sam

The Evo that's available at the moment is the GSR which has a titanium Turbo and oil cooling kits as standard. There are only 3 GSR's left and they're available from the Ware Ralliart dearler which happens to be the Ralliart dealer for the South East.

The EVO that's going to be available in March is the lower spec car which doesn't have the Titanium bits, that's what your dealer is talking about.

Give Donald at Ware a call on 01992 505251
Old 17 October 2001, 09:51 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well I'm not too proud to admit that I got blown away by an Evo VII this morning - that is a seriously quick car - looks nice in metallic blue too

Carl - yes the garage is in Ware (just on the outskirts of the town)

Cheers
Chris
Old 17 October 2001, 09:57 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Yes I have driven a 7. I was mightliy impressed. It was one of the best drives I have ever had, felt totally composed and utterly capable.

Would I buy one? nope. I prefer the six, mostly for the same reasons as philwaring says above.

Jason. In a straight line against my car, you wont stand a chance, whether up north or down south.

I have almost a 200kg weight adavantage (which may change when I get in) a stronger clutch and drivetrain, and a **** load more power.

I have run 0-100 in under ten seconds which is a far cry from 13. But I am not comparing it to my car, I am talking about the 7 v 6.

Any disagreement between Cem and me is between cem and me, so go on you lot, naff off. (jonny vaughanism).

Old 17 October 2001, 10:38 AM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Talking

Great post rich,

One thing that does worry me about the EVO's is the fuel cost and price of maintance, the scooby bad enough and I've heard the EVO V1 is really bad on the Jungle juice.

The EVO V1 is just starting to come down into my price range, and it could be on the cards.
Old 17 October 2001, 05:40 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks RB
I have given them a call. the only problem is they are saying that the black one is exclusive to the extreme .

does anyone have anypics of different colours

sam
Old 17 October 2001, 10:00 PM
philwaring
Scooby Regular

Carl - surprise surprise it isn't in Ware, but is on Ware Road ... in Hertford! Got some motors down there, worth a visit

Phil
Old 17 October 2001, 10:11 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Cool

BRIGHT LIGHTS, BIG CITY , SMALL LIGHTBULB EH ADAM.
JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Until ADAM know's he will never know, but when ADAM know's he still won't know.
Old 18 October 2001, 07:50 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Until ADAM know's he will never know, but when ADAM know's he still won't know.
ROTFLOL @ Jason!!!!

Matt