Sponsored by:

Lookin at a Scoob

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2006, 10:45 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lookin at a Scoob

Greetings people - be gentle this is my first post on SN!

I wondered if I could ask for some advice from you all regarding buying an Impreza. I currently own a Pug 206 GTi 180 which I love to bits. However 3 months ago my first daughter was born and the car is far far too small for what we now require (as it seems like moving house everytime we goto the shops). I would love to keep the performance if not better it with my next purchase and have the luxury of more space.

I have a budget of around £6000-£6500 for the next car and wondered what I could get for that type of money in Scooby land. I've had a look around different places and I think that I would be best off with a UK spec model than an import for insurance purposes as im 24 with 1 year NCB 3 pts in 2002 (already been quoted £900pa by Elephant for a MY00 Impreza UK spec which isn't unrealistic).

In comparison to the GTi how is the fuel consuption - the GTi drinks around an average of 25MPG and up to 35 for motorway driving. It also likes to eat tyres at a rate of 2 fronts every 9-10k. Servicing on it is at 12k intervals how does this compare?

So thats my situation any input is appreciated
Old 14 February 2006, 11:00 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

Welcome mate.

MPG for a UK turbo seems to vary from 17mpg - 21 ish from what I have seen people quoting. Servicing is every 7.5k miles so quite a bit more than the pug - you'llalso prob find - and read on other threads servicing can be pretty costly. BUT scoobys are and worth wild - especially being part of scoobynet.

Go on go for it
Old 14 February 2006, 11:18 PM
N*UFO
Scooby Regular

You might have to stretch to more like £11 for a good newage model, for a decent car,Now do not get me wrong, there are some very good classics out there, but not many......The newage is much more of a family car with more safety features,and some might say better for driveability and handling,and a service every 10K,MPG should be between 20-30 depending on what model you get............................................... ..............tyres on the front last me 15k miles back 20k,(03sti ppp(300bhp)),

Last edited by N*UFO; 14 February 2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 14 February 2006, 11:42 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys, its appreciated.

I would love to go for one of the newage Scoobs and just a quick look around the trader shows how little quality classic scoobies are left that dont have half of Halfords stuck to them. Although id love to, I really can't raise the budget much more. My plan was to stick it out and use SN to find a car which had been kept by an enthusiast.

Thanks for the figures on the MPG and Servicing, they aren't far off what I expected

Is there a prefered 'Classic' model that would slot into my budget e.g. MY99/00? is it worth going for a younger model with higher miles or older with less? What kind of equipment do they have as standard?

Cheers
Jon
Old 15 February 2006, 07:47 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

A bugeye will be a good bet and easily get a cracker for 8k, for the same reasons in the above. Good luck