Under - Performing MY01 PPP??

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2001, 01:32 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi all MY01 PPP'ers,

I've always said on this board that i was really pleased with the way the PPP fitted to my car transformed it into a bit of a handfull. Ive no complaints about it at all. As it stands im dead chuffed.

However, other threads have suggested that the ACTUAL figures that people are getting from dyno runs are WELL below those quoted. Most noticable is the lack of torque compared to the quoted 261lb/ft.

Im asking anyone who has spent their £1600 - are you satisfied knowing that your car isnt as quick as it SHOULD be as it falls short of the claimed power advantage.

If so, do we owners have any come back with IM/Prodrive to sort the cars out to make the kind of power we are told will be available?

If not - isnt this all trade descriptions kinda stuff where a product is claiming something it isn't???

I'd be very interested in Mike Woods comments on this subject!

Any owners have any (constructive only please ) comments?

Jza
Old 16 October 2001, 01:45 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Cool

I am most impressed with my PPP

But you do have a very valid point IF it is not achieving the advertised figures then perhaps I could be EVEN MORE impressed

I though have not dyno'd my car

Could this possibly be a dealer fitting problem? rather than the experts at Banbury.

Interested to see where this leads though

But have to say I am really impressed so far

phil

Old 16 October 2001, 01:56 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Jza,
As i have said in the other thread, i am re-dynoing my car tommorrow, together with a friend and his MY01 with just WR backbox.

If there is not a considerable difference between the two ( ie. 20bhp and 30 lb.ft) my dealer will be taking it up with Subaru.

In the UK300 brochure it says the PPP will give 245ps and 350+Nm,
what do these figures equate to in bhp and lb/ft??

Obviously the big problem is which rolling road was used and what sort of atmospheric conditions were there when Subaru achieved their figures.

Anyone think this is going to be easy?

simon.
Old 16 October 2001, 02:25 PM
Orwella
Scooby Regular

When I had my MY99 I had it dyno'd at PE along with a friends PPP's MY98. Both cars returned very similar bhp and torque figures of arounf 235 and 225 respectively. My friend was very disappointes because on a straight road his older PPP'd car would absolutely destroy mine.

What I'm trying to say is that dyno's and max figures do not tell the whole story. Ask your dealer if you can test drive a standard car to compare the "real" difference.
Old 16 October 2001, 02:52 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The problem is if you don't know what power the car was putting out prior to the PPP, the PPP might be raising the power by the advertised percentage but if the original was down on power then 10% improvement on not a lot is not a lot.

I know of a few Porsche owners, 968CS and 993RS who have had problems with cars not being as powerful as the manufacturer claimed. In these cases Porsche had to strip and rebuild the engines to get the power back.

I could be barking up the wrong tree but perhaps its not the PPP but the engine thats the problem and as the dealers don't have dynos, how would they know ?

Lambo

Old 16 October 2001, 03:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subaru and Prodrive figures are based on engine dynos of new engines according to Mike Wood. Wheel dynos are notoriously inaccurate. I cannot see you having a claim unless you got an engine dyno performed.
Old 16 October 2001, 03:45 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

John is right. A RR is only good for seeing how much power you had to start with and then see what you have gained or lost. And that means using the same dyno you used, to start with, again, because even different RRs give different hp readouts, eg powerstation always giving lower figures than PE.

Then there is weather and humidity that play a role too. A hotter and more humid day will give you less power. Even engine dynos read different.

When I built my ex ford V8 engine a while back, one engine dyno claimed 560hp and another 596hp. I always quote the 560hp figure though.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Trending Topics

Old 16 October 2001, 05:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Unless all cars are dyno'd at the same rr you will never get a good comparison and there are also other factors to take into consideration too!

Temperature: if its hotter outside then your car aint going to be giving its best.
Fuel: If your running 95ron then your car wont be giving you the performance you want (and you dont know if the figures are with sul or ul unless stated).

As for my PPP, the only thing im going to say is
I think that sums it up

Tony