03 STI upgrade route?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2006, 02:44 PM
Andyv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 STI upgrade route?

Hi all,

I'm just about to buy my company 03 STI and plan to upgrade/mod it in some way shape or form. My question is should I just go PPP (not least for easy insurance purposes) or should I look at other upgrades, TSL for example?

I've previously had a 99 Turbo, which I modded by removing the cats and fitting a full Scooby Sport exhaust etc. The effect I noticed then is kind of what i'm after...

Thanks

Andy
Old 14 February 2006, 03:06 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could also look at WRC Tech

http://www.wrc-tech.co.uk/subaru-04sti-performance.htm
Old 14 February 2006, 03:23 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

If you're not worried about warranty then the world is your oyster, typically a decat or sports cat, filter and remap would suit you and can be done for less than a grand unlike PPP which will cost you more but may be better for insurance (marginal) or resale later..

Also consider springs / braking upgrades Prodrive springs or the like will help you get most out of the car and up the enjoyment factor as well..

Last edited by Bartop; 14 February 2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 14 February 2006, 04:03 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

The question is how will be you get rid of the car when the time comes? If you want to part ex it into a garage the only route is ppp. Anything else and a decent dealership wont touch it.
The second question is do you mind throwing the mod money away? Whatever you do you will not recope when you sell the car.
The third question is do you mind reducing your sales market by modifying the car?

If you realise and dont mind all of those issues then the world is your lobster. Personally I went the 333 route and didnt regret it until all of the issues above needed addressing.

Gary
Old 14 February 2006, 07:30 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
The question is how will be you get rid of the car when the time comes? If you want to part ex it into a garage the only route is ppp. Anything else and a decent dealership wont touch it.
The second question is do you mind throwing the mod money away? Whatever you do you will not recope when you sell the car.
The third question is do you mind reducing your sales market by modifying the car?

If you realise and dont mind all of those issues then the world is your lobster. Personally I went the 333 route and didnt regret it until all of the issues above needed addressing.

Gary
Keep the old bits you take off an put them back on when you go to sell, have done so with all my modded cars.

Unless you take a car to someone with a clue or a franchised dealer you can get away with giving them the same kind of sales crap they give you. Eg when part-ex'd my lowered Z3 (with zero space between wheel and arches) told salesman it was the 'sport' version hence really low!!

It's fair to say though that a PPP will increase the re-sale value, whether this will be the difference between the initial cost and the cost of going to someone like WRC I can't be sure.
Old 14 February 2006, 07:43 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

tsl 333?
Old 14 February 2006, 10:39 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
Keep the old bits you take off an put them back on when you go to sell, have done so with all my modded cars.

Unless you take a car to someone with a clue or a franchised dealer you can get away with giving them the same kind of sales crap they give you. Eg when part-ex'd my lowered Z3 (with zero space between wheel and arches) told salesman it was the 'sport' version hence really low!!

It's fair to say though that a PPP will increase the re-sale value, whether this will be the difference between the initial cost and the cost of going to someone like WRC I can't be sure.
cosmic karma is going to get you back
Old 15 February 2006, 02:44 PM
Andyv
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice, think i'll PPP...

Andy
Old 15 February 2006, 02:47 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
tsl 333?
Good choice other than you loose the money selling it to a dealer. Plus if they realise its been mapped they wont touch it.

You are making the right choice with ppp IMHO ......
Old 15 February 2006, 03:13 PM
crush her
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Good choice other than you loose the money selling it to a dealer. Plus if they realise its been mapped they wont touch it.

You are making the right choice with ppp IMHO ......
Recently decided to keep my STI PPP for a couple more years as this has (so far) been my most reliable car. Therefore I thought I may take it to fat camp. How much weight could I remove (which can be put back). Is it even worth it?

Old 15 February 2006, 03:56 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crush her
Recently decided to keep my STI PPP for a couple more years as this has (so far) been my most reliable car. Therefore I thought I may take it to fat camp. How much weight could I remove (which can be put back). Is it even worth it?

Proabably not unless you want to spend a fortune on silly carbon bonnets and driving round in a car with 1 seat in it.

If its too heavy sell it and buy a lighter car.
Old 15 February 2006, 04:01 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

buy a Spec'C' maybe one for sale soon...