Sponsored by:

My MY06 STi Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2006, 06:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My MY06 STi Test Drive

Just thought I'd share todays experience with you guys....
Originally Posted by copied from another thread
Just test drove an new 06 2.5 STi today and was impressed with the low down torque. Quite easy to just stay in 4th on twisty B-roads and let the engine range do the work. Started off driving it like any other STi I've driven, whisking through the 6sp 'box like I was making an omlette, but as I became accustomed to the delivery of power everything got a little more controlled and dynamic instead of frantic. Pulled from around 3k right up to 7k, where the older non-PPP 2.0l used to be sluggish until almost 4k and then full on until 6k when it started running out of puff. I also like the active yaw sensors working with the LSD's and active centre diff. The RE070 tyres can be a handfull in anything other than dry conditions, and they were certainly entertaining today on the white dust left by 2 months of gritting and damp slurry patches where the sun doesn't quite get. I could feel the car going, but also feel the diffs pulling things back in. As the tail started to drift the front pulled it straight, but not in a way which spoilt any hooliganish fun, rather complimentary in making a drift easilly controlled at silly speeds. I still don't think I will be changing my 03 WRX PPP for one, as I get 95% of the speed with a much more relaxed ride, especially with my suspension set-up which was way better than the new STi's, which is however better than the old STi's bobbing rear-end. I got out after half an hour feeling like I'd just conquered something stupendous, ellated and drained. After 2-3 hours in my Rex I get out feeling fine, and still manage the same speeds. Maybe I'm getting old
Further to my earlier summary, I quite like the looks but they didn't blow me away and leave me drooling, although it does look very good in black. The rear lights are awful, and the roof mounted deflector is just silly, making the car look more than a little Halfords chav I would guess that the primary reason for its addition is in reaction to the Sonic The Hedgehog addition to the main contender (Evo). A nice addition is the JDM style backlit dials which sweep on start-up, and a minor facelift to the interior. The STi seats however are starting to look like WRX items with different (blue Alcantara obviously) covers. When we returned the car I parked it next to an 02 & 03 STi and opposite my 03 WRX and an 05 WRX and they definately looked more like the WRX seats, with lower shoulder bolsters and a slimmer top profile. The front bumper and scoop are also now identical to the WRX, apart from the ommision of fog lights.

A step in the right direction mechanically, but the styling effort leaves a lot to be desired. It's not awful, but could have been so much better IMHO.
Old 08 February 2006, 06:40 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

A well written and informative article congratulations !

Now the nitty gritty how much did they offer you for yours ?
Old 08 February 2006, 07:31 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Not enough
Old 08 February 2006, 11:09 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

I'm surprised by that as everyone here is saying how they are getting fantastic deals on new MY06's. Which dealer are you talking to Goldens or another ?
I'm in the market myself at the mo for a MY06 STI, and was just wondering what they had offered you for yours.

Regards Simpsons
Old 09 February 2006, 09:02 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

They say that as my car has had 3 owners (WTF difference does that make as it could have had one hopeless owner whom took no care of it whatsoever, or 3 who cherished it ) and not a full main dealer history (like I'd trust them with my car ) and that I've actually used it (46k miles) that it isn't worth as much to them. The Glass's and CAP guides are just a weapon for them to screw the average dummy out of more ca$h IMHO And they say the mods are undesireable to the average Joe who buys at a dealer too.

So, Joe Public want a car that's been poorly serviced at great expense, has done so few miles that there will probably be water contamination in the sump leading to acid corrosion of the case hardened bearing shells, is compromised by the basic OE specification which was done to a budget creating a flawed machine and are prepared to pay top book

Last edited by corradoboy; 09 February 2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11 February 2006, 09:13 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

i didnt think it had active yaw?

I test drove one yesterday at the Subaru research centre in nuneaton. I was taken out for a great test drive, the sales manager being a road rally driver!! Few sideways moments, but a big grin on my face, but did leave me thinking that i need driver training before power increases!!

I thought that the added torque was great, a lot easier to drive and the dccd is fun to play with, and definately makes a difference on the cars handling. Locking the rear diff made turn in feel a lot more precise, and when the back end came out it felt ok, with the 04 it seems to snap back a lot more and really unbalances the car.
The steering feels a lot sharper too, i found myself turning in a lot more than i needed to in my 04 sti (with prodrive spring setup). Its an improvement imho, i like the improved feeling it gave me, but i think it still needs springs droplinks and a laser aligning before it shows what the car is really capable of.

PPP needs to arrive before i put my name down, but i liked the car, the front looked ok from inside as did the dials!
Old 11 February 2006, 09:42 AM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Guys when it comes to trade in prices, make sure you shop around, my local dealer tried it on and said he was giving me top dollar for my my03 wrx, went 30 miles up the road and got another £750 out of the deal plus matts and free 1st service.
Always ask for far more than you want you never know you minght be suprised.

Deano.