Why do P1's get a bad time on the BBS?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2001, 05:26 PM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Guys

I have been reading the board since January of this year when I first thought about buying a Subaru. I was coming out of the company car scheme at work and didn't want to join the ranks of BMW, Mercedes & Audi drivers on the M56 into Manchester every morning, I wanted something different.

I first started thinking about a Subaru when I got badly dropped by a MY99 in my Alfa 156 V6 on the way back from Reading one night. The experience made me start thinking about a Subaru as I had always heard good things about them and one of my best friends has one and he loves his. The next opportunity I got I went to my local Subaru garage, I had never even heard of the P1, but there was one in the showroom waiting to br delivered to some lucky punter. I think it was from that moment I knew that this was the car that I wanted if the £££ was right.

It turned out to be OK and I added a number of the Prodrive Options upon delivery. I had in my mind the image of the first P1 I had seen and I wanted mine to look just as good when I picked up mine. I took delivery of my P1 4 months ago and haven't stopped smiling since and I know that this will continue for a good number of years yet.

I have enjoyed every moment of owning my P1. I would never think about 'slagging off' anyone else's car as I believe it is everyone to their own. Why do people do it to mine and others pride and joy, after all first and foremost we are Subaru fans aren't we?

Believe me they are a great car!!!I may be loosing £££ on mine, but that is my concern isn't it?

I would be happy to hear everyone's views and especially from all the P1 owners out there who love their machine and are fed up of the stick I believe we get.

Only my views and opinions but I felt that they needed airing and this is the arena to do it.

Cheers

Viper

Old 15 October 2001, 05:32 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Viper,

I'm not a P1 owner, but I do think the P1 is still a smashing car.

I think most of the tension is due to the fact that people who took the risk & bought an import (long before the P1 existed), don't exactly feel ... um ... valued by IM (the official importer in the UK). They may have a point ... but the discussions get heated.

Subaru make great cars, and most of us love most models to bits.

Sad, I know

Theo
Old 15 October 2001, 05:43 PM
Rikki 95WRX
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Viper - I have been on here for about 18 months now and I can honestly say I can not remember one post slagging the P1 off!!!

Superb cars.
Old 15 October 2001, 06:25 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Nice post Viper.

The P1 is an awesome car. Up there at the top in terms of ground coverers. Don't take any notice of the sour grapes that surface from time to time.

I've got the t-shirt mate

Cem
Old 15 October 2001, 06:27 PM
adamp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Viper,
I've said this in a post before, glad to see a post which is completely positive about the P1. I've had mine for 9 months now and as you I have enjoyed every minut of the experience. I recently went on holiday for two weeks, and all I could think of in the plane on the journey home was driving my pride and joy again (now that's sad!) Anyway I won't change my car for anything else at the moment and not for the foreseeable future.

Sure I've had a few niggles, but less than I've had with any other car, it blows almost everything else away on the road, especially cars that are twice the price. OK it is pretty expensive as Scoobs go but I don't really care about that. The car still turns everyones head as well which is surprising.

Cheers

Adam
Old 15 October 2001, 07:30 PM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Viper,
most of the negative posts I've seen, have been from P1 drivers. There appears to be a problem with IM's attitude to people who having paid a lot of money for a car, then have the cheek to complain when the paint flakes/peels/chips . Then there are a few import drivers who see the P1 owners, many of whom have stated they went for a P1 over an STI because of warranty issues, having to have things replaced/fixed/repainted under the warrenty, that import owners do not seem to be having problems with.
Martin.
Old 15 October 2001, 07:36 PM
SteveH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Viper

We have had our P1 since January, we had a MY 00 Saloon before and hummed and harred about changing and losing money both on the tradein and on the depreciation, but after one drive that was it.

I have never driven another car like it before and after 8 months I still have a big silly grin on my face when driving it. My wife drives it during the week and I get to play at weekends and holidays.

Its not the top speed which matters to me its the way it gets to 80/90 that I enjoy.

We had a test drive in a MY01 WRX but to be quite honest although it was great to drive (comfortable etc) we preferred the raw thrill of the P1 and it didn't help that we hated the look of the WRX. (Still do I am afraid)

The majority of people who have P1's love them IMHO.

Enjoy it..

Steve and Lesley

Trending Topics

Old 15 October 2001, 08:40 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I would love a P1 and I think most people on here would too.

The only negative posts I have seen have been on a price basis Japanese import versus similar spec P1

As a Euro importer myself I can see it from both sides.

Enjoy it.

My scoob is fantastic and yours is about 60 BHP fantasticer
Old 15 October 2001, 08:45 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mines the biz....nuf said
Old 15 October 2001, 09:38 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Had mine 15 months now.

Spent plenty, hifi, exhausts , ECUs etc the list is endless.

Had plenty of problems :- clutch, gearbox, paintwork, DS3000's etc etc.

I am not bothered about the problems. They have been rectified without question and fuss.

It is now just as I want it.

So, what do I do ?

Well, now there is nothing more to do to it I have almost lost interest in it.

There was a good thread the other day about how a P1 was uninvolving because it was so good on the road. Spot on. You need to be doing a ton on a b road before you feel like you are moving. My car really is a fantastic point to point machine that is devastatingly quick. It is almost too good.

On reflection I was going to sell it, but I think I'll keep it and do some track days and stuff.

It spends most of the week in the garage but I get a buzz when I open the door and see it sparkling away. Lovely !

Russ

Old 15 October 2001, 10:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

The P1 is a great car - cant remember anyone actually saying otherwise, a few P1 owners have derided the car and I have always maintained that it is expensive.

The general opinion seems to be that £32000 is a lot for a 2 door saloon - when the standard car, at £10,000 cheaper, wasnt that far behind it ..... the standard car is certainly more practical.

I personally dont use all of the ability in my standard car - so the idea of something a bit more capable has little value.

You just enjoy it - but a BBS is there to air opinions, and thats what happens here!

Pete
Old 15 October 2001, 11:05 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Cool

They ****ed up on the spoiler though!

I'd still like a P1 though.

MB
Old 15 October 2001, 11:08 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have to agree a bit with Pete, to me it didnt seem 10K+ more than an standard UK. The point is the standard UK is a great price. Doesnt make the P1 a bad car. I went down the import route to get me 276 bhp and sonic blue colour scheme [].

The funny comments are from other BBS where they all think that 22B's and P1's all left the factory with 350 bhp.

Enjoy you motor,

Chris
Old 16 October 2001, 01:24 PM
old but gold
Scooby Regular

Had my P1 since July. The car is out of this world - constant smiles. The only concern is vulnerability to hijack,theft or vandalism. I have now garaged it and always drive with windows and doors locked. Keep it and yourself safe and enjoy - at my age I guess it's the last car with such great performance I shall ever get to drive.
Old 16 October 2001, 02:18 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The P1 is an awesome car, I loved mine to bits.

But due to the huge mileage I was putting on it (hence huge devaluation) and some other things I sold it.

IM could have been a little more interested in the paint work issues and other niggles we have all had, IMHO. Fortunately the new WRX doesnt appear to suffer so badly.

Alex
Old 16 October 2001, 03:29 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I've got an MY00 and test drove a P1 a few weeks back - it was safe to say I was staggered! The P1 is an awesome car, I've been in very few cars that can manouevre and perform like a P1. It is a lot of money when you consider its fairly humble origins and the fact that it is still 10 grand more than a 'normal' Scoob. But what you should really be doing is comparing it with performance cars that cost considerably more than it and then it becomes the performance car bargin of the last decade. I was on the verge of buying one, until another option came up... I will fill people in on the details in a couple of weeks

Cheers
Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 10/16/2001 3:30:30 PM]
Old 16 October 2001, 04:10 PM
Mike M
Scooby Regular

If it's any support, most of us American Scooby nuts would gladly sacrifice a redundant body part for a P1!
Old 18 October 2001, 02:04 AM
Dave.T
Scooby Regular

Smile

I`ve had my P1 for 2 days now and what can i say it is an awesome
beast.Love everything about it stunning looks and performance,its in a league of its own.Had a MY00 Turbo just coming up 12 months old so i got some trade in prices from a couple of dealers and thought if i kept it any longer the gap would be to big to the P1 so had a look at one last saturday and now its sat in my garage the best thing i ever did, permanent grin for months to come.Big thanks to the guys at Listers for the superb service.
Old 18 October 2001, 09:23 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've had mine since May and use it every day. Thoughts:

Pros
- acceleration is grin inducing every time
- it is very quick on the point to point stuff (girlfriend still hasn't got the hang of the fact that she can relax at speed and that it really can overtake before that bend up ahead!)
- mechanically it's a fabulous piece of kit

Cons
- styling not to everyone's taste (but I point out to the other half that she should worship the spoiler as it keep the car on the floor when she's fretting about speed!)
- interior is typically subaru plastic rattly nonsense (people admire it up until they sit in it - only once they drive it do they forget the shoddy interior)
- the front spoiler is too low - it's very good at making friends with kerbs
- the PZeros that come as standard are rubbish
- pathetic that Prodrive couldn't engineer it to fit the 18" wheels as standard within European legislation.

overall terrific - I don't give a toss about the depreciation as I have no intention of ever getting rid of it - it will be lovingly garaged when I get the next one (supercharged F Type perhaps?). It does draw more attention than I would like it to - I am not a MaxPower advocate - but the driving pleasure outweighs all else.

Now, about getting that bloody front lip sorted out again.....

Gordo
Old 18 October 2001, 09:35 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Talking

Most of the negative comments about the P1 that I remember, as others have said, are to do with warranty problems sorting out things that were poor quality on a £32k car. The front spoiler being the main cause of concern it seems to me.

However, apart from that, most P1 owners rightly wax lyrical about their cars. DrEvil's P1 was one of the few cars that has made my MY93 WRX seem slow. Lovely cars, albeit pricey, and I would consider myself very fortunate to have one as a company car as you obviously do. Ignore the negative comments and enjoy!

PS: Sorry, I couldn't resist pointing out that it's refreshing to see a Man Utd fan who lives in Manchester!