help buying a scooby

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2006, 10:35 PM
shearsy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help buying a scooby

hello i am new here

my boyfriend has been looking at a scooby today and its plate is 94 L WRX IMPORT. the mileage is in kilometers but converted around 64k. What do you need to look out for on a car this age, and type been an import. i.e timing belt, servicing. just incase anyone may know the car the reg plate is J333 WRX. all help will be much appreciated, as i am completely lost in the world of Subaru

cheers, shearsy
Old 05 February 2006, 11:12 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

For starters i wouldn't touch anything without F.S.S.H which pretty much rules out a lot of imports.
Be prepared to shell out mega bucks if the engine goes bang
Others will no doubt point out the need for optimax etc etc etc.

All the jdm cars i see in my area are always owned by 'younger' people so i would question how well its been looked after.

Before you all start i am not saying ALL younger drives thrash and crash......just a fair few

Have you checked out uk cars as its a buyers market so a good deal could be had.

Originally Posted by shearsy
hello i am new here

my boyfriend has been looking at a scooby today and its plate is 94 L WRX IMPORT. the mileage is in kilometers but converted around 64k. What do you need to look out for on a car this age, and type been an import. i.e timing belt, servicing. just incase anyone may know the car the reg plate is J333 WRX. all help will be much appreciated, as i am completely lost in the world of Subaru

cheers, shearsy
Old 05 February 2006, 11:28 PM
shearsy
Scooby Newbie

we have no knowledge of service history. the guy that has it has only had it 3 month. it has had 6 owners upto now and was purchased off Ebay. do you know how much timing belts cost to replace?

thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05 February 2006, 11:36 PM
shearsy
Scooby Newbie

i have to log off for tonight now, but will be back on tomorrow to reply to all posts. thanks for you time. nite.
Old 05 February 2006, 11:36 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

In the last two years the classics have become a lot cheaper. Two years ago I bought a 94 WRX for 5.2k - so then it was ten years old.

Friday I bought a 00 UK Turbo for 5k, so 6 years old - both nearly identical mileages.

Basically, you can get a 94 for 3.5k maybe, and a 00 for 5k - I would strongly advise spending the extra wodge.

A cambelt change on its own will cost you upwards from 165 (www.scoobyclinic.com).