Sponsored by:

Dodgy Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2006, 07:25 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dodgy Wheels

Last month purchased some Azev splitrim alloys and tyres, from a dealer off e-bay. I only fitted them to my car on thursday of this week. When driving i was getting terrible vibration and shaking through the car. I had them re-balanced and swapped them around but to no avail, still the same problem. I took them to a garage who put them onto a machine to check the trueness of them. Three of the wheels were between 30-40,000 out of true, basically oval. The wheels have only been on for 4 days, the shaking/vibration is worse on the motorway, but not really noticable around town. So where do i stand, as the wheels were supplied faulty, and i live in the midlands and the dealer is down south, so i don't want to be taking a day off work (i am self employed) to return them.
Old 05 February 2006, 09:14 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but if you bought them and they were supplied as faulty I dont think you have much of a case. Why would you by them to put on your car did you not think of the consequences of them breaking up at speed. Maybe if they have said they are faulty for another reason you might have a chance.
Old 05 February 2006, 09:24 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazzaTypeR
Sorry but if you bought them and they were supplied as faulty I dont think you have much of a case. Why would you by them to put on your car did you not think of the consequences of them breaking up at speed. Maybe if they have said they are faulty for another reason you might have a chance.
Who said i bought them as faulty! I bought them as NEW, no-one in there right mind would buy wheels knowing they were faulty. They were supplied to me as GOOD. The wheels they supplied me with are faulty, not supplied as known to be faulty, jeeeez.
Old 05 February 2006, 09:42 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

If (IF) they are a reputable (sp?) dealer then they should replace or refund under the sale of goods act 1968 (amend 2002..?) iirc., provided they haven't been obviously abused/damaged. Basically any new goods sold by a retailer that develop fault within 6mths are deemed to have an inherrant (sp?) fault.

However, IMHO, being an ebay dealer you are on your back foot if they're not a reg. business.

It's such a grey area as they could claim you or the fitter (3rd party) have damaged the wheels after they were sent out..!
Old 05 February 2006, 09:47 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
If (IF) they are a reputable (sp?) dealer then they should replace or refund under the sale of goods act 1968 (amend 2002..?) iirc., provided they haven't been obviously abused/damaged. Basically any new goods sold by a retailer that develop fault within 6mths are deemed to have an inherrant (sp?) fault.

However, IMHO, being an ebay dealer you are on your back foot if they're not a reg. business.

It's such a grey area as they could claim you or the fitter (3rd party) have damaged the wheels after they were sent out..!
They are registered, and there is no damage, kerbing etc.. at all, oh also one of the wheels has developed two hair line cracks around the wheel bolt holes. I wonder if it is a manufacturing fault, wrong alloy used or the likes.
Old 05 February 2006, 09:55 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

If they're under 6mths old they haven't got a leg to stand on (google 'sale of good act) as they are deemed, in law, to have an inherrant (sp?) manuf. fault..!

Best try and phone them to see what there response is (bear in mind the law is overwhelmingly (sp?) on your side) and you are entitled to a full refund or replacement at no cost to you (ie delivery/return costs)..!
Old 05 February 2006, 10:01 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
If they're under 6mths old they haven't got a leg to stand on (google 'sale of good act) as they are deemed, in law, to have an inherrant (sp?) manuf. fault..!

Best try and phone them to see what there response is (bear in mind the law is overwhelmingly (sp?) on your side) and you are entitled to a full refund or replacement at no cost to you (ie delivery/return costs)..!
Cheers jasonius, i am ringing them tomorrow so i will let you know how i get on

Trending Topics

Old 05 February 2006, 11:29 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Oops maybe I should stay off the wine at dinner, I read it and thought you meant by "supplied faulty" as in they may have had some kind of manufacturing fault like dodgy finish and you were getting a good deal.
Old 06 February 2006, 01:50 AM
Racy Jace
Scooby Regular

Hi, If they were bought on your Visa you should be able to get you money back through them under EQUAL LIABILITY. Thats if the company you bought them off start messing you about.

Id speak to the company first and then Id give trading Standards a call for some advice.
Old 06 February 2006, 10:44 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

webby, you need to talk to the person you bought them off, before anything else. if you have whats their stance? id suggest that most companys ebay or not would replace like for like, as selling faulty wheels is bloody dangerous never mind anything else, a negative feedback on their account stating wheels were sold egg shaped and dangerous would be detrimental to their future business.

James
Old 06 February 2006, 11:31 AM
oobster
Scooby Regular

I'd be VERY careful about the advice you've been given. Yes - it may be 100% correct, but I had a similar problem just last year....

I had a Pug 307 and fancied a set of nice shiny chrome Alba Bank 18" wheels. Contacted a dealer down on the south coast of England and explained the car they were going onto etc and eventually ordered a set.
Same symptoms as you when I fitted them - very bad vibration. Took the wheels to Kwik-shaft and they re-balanced them. Vibration still there. Took them to another tyre-fitting place (Farmers Autocare i think it was) who balanced the wheels again, twice. In between the 1st and 2nd balance I went out for a run and there was no difference. The 2nd time farmers balanced them there was also no difference, but they were not willing to give it a 3rd go.
I then took the car thru to Drivers in Glasgow (on the wheel supplier's advice - this was after i'd told them to come & pick the wheels back up again). The very helpful lad @ Drivers knew what the problem was straight away - the hub fitting on the wheel was something like 86mm, and the hub on the car was an 83mm. This, he said, would mean that because the car used wheel bolts instead of nuts the wheel would never 'centre' on the hub and have the effect of putting an egg-shape wheel on.
Drivers ordered spiggot-rings, fitted them and problem disappeared straight away.
I only relate this story because it MAY be the same problem your having. Don't automatically trust the opinion of the garage who said they were out-of-true - the first two places I used did not notice the wheel was a different size to the hub!
Old 06 February 2006, 12:55 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Ditto on a peugeot 205.

Numpties balancing the wheels didn't have the correct adaptor plate for the machine (bolts not studs), and every time they balanced the wheels they got a different result. It should have been obvious that modern alloys don't need 100g of weights Also with modern tyres if the weights need to be put 180deg. from the previous set then something is seriously wrong!

Can you get them balanced on the car to see if that cures the error?