Sponsored by:

STi PPP + re-map. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2006, 12:03 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STi PPP + re-map. Anyone?

Following on from a recent thread regarding the WRC tech conversion based on the STi PPP I found myself considering this or a similar package. The thought of the extra noise generated by the induction kit fitted has, however, put me off somewhat.
Who out there has had a re-map (plus a few other tweeks if relevant) on an otherwise standard STi PPP? i.e. retaining the Prodrive exhaust, std. airbox etc. The company involved, the improvements (noticable?) cost, was it worth it etc.
Although I'm based in Essex I would travel a reasonable distance for the right product.
I would appreciate the comments from anyone who has gone down this route.
Cheers JohnD
Old 05 February 2006, 12:18 PM
sherlock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up WRC Tech re-map

Mine wasn't a PPP but i've had the a walbro fuel pump and full prodrive system and remap, i gor 313bhp and 315ftLb with a re map. IIRC the PPP ECU is more agressive and you might get a bit more out of it? Don't quote me on that though.

Sherlock
Old 05 February 2006, 02:49 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

See below John......Reply to a email i sent the legend Bob Rawl @ br developments regarding remaping my 2003 PPP STi. Hope this helps ya M8

Thanks for the kind words Boyd, assuming everything stays exactly as per the ppp and it has the sports cat installed should be possible to lift it to 310/320 ish bhp but more importantly provide roughly similar torque figs, that assumes you are using Optimax (or the Tesco 99) fuel. Normal day to day off/low boost driving will normally show an improvement and full throttle would probably stay the same from a consumption view point.

My business partner Branko will advise the commercial details.

best regards

Bob
Old 05 February 2006, 05:51 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Bob and Branko installed and mapped the Link ECU in my previous Impreza (99MY)
Did you get it done? If so, how does it feel?
JohnD
Old 05 February 2006, 06:05 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Not yet John no. I was thinking along the same lines as you and was considering the WRC 350 Upgrade. I'm gonna wait till the warrenty's over in May then go into it in a bit more depth and consider whats the best way of going.
Old 05 February 2006, 06:31 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

John

I bought a 53 plate sti with ppp last May. Previous owner had been to TSL for their 333 package but had maintained the PPP essentials (prodrive exhaust etc)

Coming from a modified Classic I have never been too impressed by the power delivery. Its certainly not as raw in a straight line but can see its worth on the back roads where I very rarely need to change out of 4th/ 5th gears.

Back in June I took it to Well Lane and it produced 332 bhp (pretty much on the nose then) but the torque was a little over 290 which wasn't great. I investigated TSL first to see what they thought and they suggested full exhaust; chargecooler and remap to get me over 350. The chargecooler alone cost in the region of £1400.00 and they wanted a further £1800.00 plus for the exhuast; remap and fitting. Not for me....too expensive.

I then researched the WRC packages and again thought they were quite expensive. Did you really need a new APS top mount to achieve decent gains? Personally I thought not.

Finally approached Andy Forrest which is where I should have strated to be honest. Knowing the power gains I achieved when he worked on my Classic I valued his thoughts. He suggested a TD05 20g turbo replacement; up-pipe; exhaust changed to a more free flowing item; panel filter and a remap. Should comfortably see between 360 - 380 bhp with similar torque. All should get done for less than £2k which is about my budget to be honest.

Hopefully should have all sorted for mid/ late March when I can get some time off work to go up to Scotland to see Andy (unless I can generate some local interest for him to come down here!)

HTH
Old 05 February 2006, 06:34 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

just to add the tsl 333 remap on the existing ppp car was 650 according to the invoice in the file.

Have never driven a standard PPP car so cant compare the two products but certainly seems to have a more refined power delivery. May be what you want if you just want a simple power upgrade?

Trending Topics

Old 05 February 2006, 08:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
just to add the tsl 333 remap on the existing ppp car was 650 according to the invoice in the file.

Have never driven a standard PPP car so cant compare the two products but certainly seems to have a more refined power delivery. May be what you want if you just want a simple power upgrade?
How modified was your classic? I remember my 99MY with Link ECU and appropriate exhaust (with PE sports cat) pulling well from lower revs than the STi and it's this driveability and increased flexibility that I miss. I'm not after big HP gains - I rarely use the potential of car anyway. Improved in-gear response is what I'm after, so it's more of a torque thing.
The use of a large IC in the WRC package should usefully drop charge temps. allowing possibly, a more aggressive map, but I'm after retaining as much standard fittings as possible.
JohnD
Old 05 February 2006, 09:18 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

it was "only" the uk spec turbo but managed a decent gain from 215 bhp to 320 bhp with 310 torque (apexi pcf mapped by andy made all the difference to mid range punch)

Perhaps I had high expectations of the sti8? Its still a very capable car dont get me wrong but I miss the straight line pace of the classic.

Re: TMIC - I agree it would be better but are the gains worth the additional outlay. The standard sti i/c appears to be up to the job-certainly for the figures I'm looking for anyway. Something to look into though.

Good luck with your search John. Hope to be able to post and update my results next month. Also noticed a thread in "Drivetrain" that may be of interest entitled something like WRX 350.
Old 05 February 2006, 10:53 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

See CW42 Thread

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=473163&page=2

He had PPP and then remapped at Powerstation
Old 06 February 2006, 12:55 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy S.
See CW42 Thread

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=473163&page=2

He had PPP and then remapped at Powerstation
The Powerstation pack looks good, but with the full Milltek system is a tad expensive but would be acceptable if I didn't already have PPP! Have to admit, I regret having the PPP, it seemed a good idea at the time!
JohnD
Old 06 February 2006, 01:03 PM
N*UFO
Scooby Regular

I'm really in the same boat, and after no luck on any of the chat boards i guess i'm sort of heading towards the wrc technologies 350 upgrade,If i'm gonna have to spend that amount of money then might as well make it worth it!

http://www.wrc-tech.co.uk/subaru-04sti-WRC350.htm
Old 06 February 2006, 02:53 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by N*UFO
I'm really in the same boat, and after no luck on any of the chat boards i guess i'm sort of heading towards the wrc technologies 350 upgrade,If i'm gonna have to spend that amount of money then might as well make it worth it!

http://www.wrc-tech.co.uk/subaru-04sti-WRC350.htm
I've considered this but the induction kit put me off - don't want the extra noise and prefer standard looking engine bay.
JohnD