Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First drive in a MY01 and trade in offered - some advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2001, 04:49 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Currently drive a non-modified MY99 but went into a dealer yesterday and they had an silver ex demo MY01 (6 months old with 4k on the clock) on sale for £19,995 (had bigger skirts on the front and back and carbon effect dash).

Took it out for a shot - which was my first in the new shape. Thoughts were that it felt slower (seemed to hit the same speed but I missed the push in the back), had sharper steering though, brakes really the same, lighter clutch, and had the sports seats which I'm not too sure about (like my buckets). My wife drove it as well and said it was a lot better than the old car - certainly not as raw.

I've been offered £14,000 for mine in a trade in. Really not sure though (will it have been thrashed being an exdemonstrator). I know this sort of thing has been done to death but has anyone moved from the old to the new and regretted it? What's the ICE like in the new model?

Am I best just getting a PPP for mine instead?

Richard.
Old 14 October 2001, 05:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My opinion is try a PPP demonstrator and then decide. I have added PPP/DP/induction to MY00 and there's no way I would get into a MY01 now, even UK300+/- PPP, but might consider a proper STi as long as it's not too heavily detuned.
Old 14 October 2001, 09:03 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Thanks, good idea. - I'll see if Town & Country have an I can play with.

Richard.
Old 14 October 2001, 09:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I wasn't able to find one. But AF Noble fitted a PPP to my car on a trial basis. I paid for it three weeks later. Mail me off line if you want a passenger ride in mine - I'm not too far away.
Old 14 October 2001, 09:26 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

In my humble opinion you would be mad to pay £19995 for a demo. I got mine for £20700 new and knew that every loon who fancied a free blast hadn't been near her! ICE is adequate for my needs and is certainly an improvement over old model. Also if buying new expect to be disappointed up to about 5K on the clock and then grins will start to return. Personally i've added Eibachs and exhaust after 4K miles and am content with the performance and driveability. If you expect the rawness of the old model look elsewhere but for a sound starting base for mods then sign up tomorrow.
Old 14 October 2001, 09:41 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Yep, agree on the ex-demo point. Probably better off getting an import if I really want a MY01.

Eventually found an old thread (three pages long - yippee!) which answered all my questions - I love the push in the back of the old model and will hold off until I get a shot in the new sti.

Thanks for the replies on this one.
Richard.
Old 14 October 2001, 09:42 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

John,

Many thanks for your kind offer of a ride - might take you up on it later

Richard.

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2001, 10:23 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

drove a 5dr 01 on friday.

wot can i say....v disappointed with the power or lack of compared to my my00. no kick in the back, no go in 5th doing 80 - yes better build quality and no that horrible double din monstrosity called a stereo.

only on m-ways so not compare on twisty stuff.

drove a 4dr last Dec and my views have not changed since then.

to be a decent car for me...it needs PPP and decent headlights.

thats makes it far to expensive and i'll be looking elsewhere. STi if priced well or.............Evo ?

i'd be v wary of a demo to....i know how people i've talked to have treated them !

steve
Old 14 October 2001, 10:47 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

£19,995 seems a bit on the harsh side for a six month old demonstrator. Iv been helping a freind look for one and the cheapest few I found was at well lane turbo centre in yorkshire for £17,995 brand new unregistered in silver or WR blue. Have a think about it.
Old 14 October 2001, 11:13 PM
Scooby_Maxus
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ex Demo- surely not a problem for a car with a reputation for reliability and strong mechanicals. I have bought 2 ex-demo's in the past (non Scooby) and not regretted it......but as the saying goes "you pays you money and take your chances"!

Regarding the old vs. new debate-

IMHO the new version is superior. Why- well went to buy a late MY00 as I really thought they (Subaru) must have been on drugs when designing the new car. Bug ugly I thought.

Test drove an MY00 and was very impressed with its performance but disappointed with quality of the interior and the trim. For a near £20K car this was a real joke- Great that the car drives well, but that is not an excuse for poor quality. (Wiring loom hanging down in boot etc). Japan has been at the leading edge of continuous quality improvements (thanks to Mr Deming etc) since the 1940's. So how come Subaru can get away with this!

Test drove the MY01 with Prodive 245bhp upgrade and found it to be equal to the MY00 but without all the "duff" bits. Soooo.....bought the MY01 and paid for the chip upgrade and exhaust. Just gotta run her in before it's fitted. Role on November 6th!

Cheers

Old 15 October 2001, 08:51 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Ex-Demos should have no problems. I have one and the car is perfect.

A neighbour of mine works at Honda - They randomly take engines from their prod line for quality testing. The engines are run at max revs(no limiters) for over 24 hours non - stop.

If its been ragged by a prospective purchaser and nothings gone bang, you must have a good engine!!!
Old 15 October 2001, 09:50 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

£17,995 for a new machine is bl**dy good

Lack of power in the new machine is a real pity - have to agree that the punch wasn't there in fifth either. Think I'll wait for the sti.

Richard.
Old 15 October 2001, 10:09 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Oh Lordy Lordy.

Why dont you ask some owners of MY01 what they think rather than listen to "old car" owners. If you search on the MY01 you'll see its constantly being berated when the facts are:

Its better built
It handles as well if not better
It still goes like the stink (in the real world your going as fast as in the old car) you just dont notice the fuss because of the refinement and more linear power delivery
It takes 6000 miles to loosen up
A PPP transforms it completely. Anyone who says A PPP'd MY01 is "only as fast as a standard old shape" is talking ****e. Its fantastic with a PPP.

Dont listen to the "i wouldnt buy one" people and listen to the people who have actually lived with the car and get a balanced opinion!!!

If you can get one for £18k you'd be mad not to!!! Just make sure you account for the PPP!!! STI will be 30k+ and you'll still get muppets saying its crap. Go and buy it - you wont be disapointed!!!

Jza
Old 15 October 2001, 11:02 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

For 16k you can have a brand new import.

Or 23.5 k iain litchfield will sell you a UK spec sti. I know what I'd do.

Old 15 October 2001, 11:12 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I've read more good stories than bad ones about the MY01 but do love that surge feeling in the old car (regardless of how fast it's actually going). Didn't like the look of the new car when it came out but have to say it's growing on me and does make the old model look very old.

Richard.

Old 15 October 2001, 12:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Are there any MY01PPP 0-100 times less than 15 seconds? And the poster was asking about PPP on his current car also. It's all down to personal opinion. MY01 has a lot going for it certainly. I was only expressing my opinion. No offence intended.

[Edited by john banks - 10/15/2001 12:09:27 PM]
Old 15 October 2001, 12:20 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

14K for your MY99 seems about 2K over the top (based on my recent experience) - maybe they built this into the price of the demonstrator? In other words, the true deal is 12K for your car and £17,995 for the demonstrator.
Old 15 October 2001, 12:42 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

£14k seemed very high - I was expecting around £12.5k at most. For the amount of back road blasts I do, the new car would probably fit quite well.

I'll have a look around and see what new prices are out there (especially up in Scotland).

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Richard.
Old 15 October 2001, 04:01 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Is the 'Well Lane turbo centre' an importer or an official dealer?

Anyone got thier number please?

F
Old 15 October 2001, 05:19 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Found their web site at http://www.well-lane.co.uk - think it's the same one that was mentioned above. Listed at £19k.

Edited to say that they have cars in stock at £17,995 as said above (UK spec imports).

Richard.

[Edited by Scotsman - 10/15/2001 5:35:57 PM]
Old 15 October 2001, 06:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Shame you never tried the MY00 with the PPP, now there you would have been impressed
Have to admit that the newer version is better inside, but on NM6 everyone left the newer versions for dead (as i was told ) and that was in standard uk turbos! suppose they would have been better in the corners thou :P but think they got left there too
But re the sti, yup id have one as id want something different but the same if you know what i mean

Tony
Old 15 October 2001, 07:08 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Question

had my01 for a just over a week, done 1k.
paid 21k and got 9.5k for 71k my98 with scooby sport exhaust. waiting for uk 300 lights, 650 quid and the pp.
As it is my01 feels just as quick as my98 was
had a dash to 70mph with my mates silver 99 turbo.
i was very suprised that i got to 70mph slightly before him, pulled away slighty. expected to be left to some extent!
Thought my mate maybe lifting, he ashured me that he was going for it!
only dif i can see was he was running that shell stuff(dyslexic you know) and i was on super.
I must point out this was do on a airfield outside of sunny gainsbourogh, NOT ON THE ROAD.
Roll on the pp

Old 15 October 2001, 07:25 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Would have been good to try one with a PPP, but really don't want to spend another £1,800 on top of the amount to possibly change over. Truth is that I spend most of the time on the motorway, and only use the acceleration a couple of times a day (you know what I mean ).

If I get a good trade in on a new import WRX I might change. Thanks to everyone again for the feedback.

Richard.
Old 15 October 2001, 10:05 PM
NAP6W
Scooby Regular

I was motor trade for 7 years, including 2 years as Subaru Sales Manager and have driven/and/or owned about 30 odd Turbos. I bought my MY01 WRX last week and it is a better car in every way. It is also a different car. I am sure old model owners love thier cars and new model owners love theirs - but that is what makes the world such an interesting place.
Old 16 October 2001, 05:34 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

You know your going to buy it Scotsman, SO STOP stalling, even your wife likes it. Had 1 ten months and its great everywhere but it's far better on the motorway. Whats the trade in loss on imports by the way or has that stopped?
Old 16 October 2001, 07:59 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

lol Getting close my friend, getting close

Waiting to find out what trade in price I'll get against an import. Once I know I'll post it here.

Richard.