Sponsored by:

Typical Protocols for Selling Items

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2001, 03:52 PM
JDS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a few items for sale in the Private section and have had a reasonable response. What is the typical procedure people use when accepting an offer? Obviously there is some concern about sending the items by post if no cheque arrives. Also, who are good people to use for the delivery. If for instance I sell my SS downpipe and centre section, I need to get a quote for delivery etc.

Please could someone enlighten me on procedures they have used so as not to be ripped off?

Regards,

James.
Old 14 October 2001, 04:36 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good question - I've just been through this and was wandering the same thing a couple of days ago. Accepted an offer for some stuff from a guy I didn't know from Adam (well, Michael actually)and what do you do next?

I was fortunate that this bloke works for a large, well known company who we partner with so if there had been any naughty stuff, it would have been easy enough to sort out.

What do you do otherwise. If you can't meet up with your purchaser then there's going to have to be a leap of faith from one or both parties. Companies doing this sort of stuff 'blind' over the web can get performance and payment guarantees form their respective banks who, in turn, underwrite the worthiness of each of their customers. Nothing exists on this front at the consumer level, as far as I know, but I guess you could always ask your bloke for a banker's reference. If he tells you to shove it, I'd look for someone else to sell to.

What does anyone else reckon?

Cheers
Kav
Old 14 October 2001, 04:44 PM
JDS
Scooby Regular

I believe most people are completely genuine but I think the stance I will take will be asking for a cheque and once the funds have cleared I will send the items. I appreciate this will need a "leap of faith" as you call it from the buyer but I can't see any other way to protect myself from being ripped off.

I guess if they are not happy with this, they can buy elsewhere.

Regards,

James.
Old 14 October 2001, 04:55 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
As the lads have said above - be alert and careful.

We are very lucky that the people on this board are genuine and are not a bunch of lying t~~~s.

Remember to agree a price B4 they send the cheque
Always wait for the cheque to clear B4 sending it out
Keep a copy of all e-mails sent (as a backup if it does not arrive)
Be suspicious of new members trying to buy lots of stuff straight away

Lastly enjoy it because it is the best and cheapest way of doing up your car.

Russell
Old 14 October 2001, 05:12 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

You could use one of the escrow services available. They are used frequently on the online auction sites usually with the buyer paying the fee which varies depending on means of payment. Offers protection to buyer and seller.

Old 14 October 2001, 06:03 PM
rik.c
Scooby Regular

Wink

JDS, i replied about the downpipe and my offer is genuine and if you want ill send you the cheque first, but i will say at least 95% of the people on the board are genuine scooby lovers and wont try and rip you or other sellers off but your right to be concerned because theres always one or two that let the side down and to those people, i say bugger off you have no place in our group.
Rik

[Edited by rik.c - 14/10/2001 18:04:58]
Old 15 October 2001, 09:25 AM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

I'll agree with the comments made here. Send payment first, await for monies to clear, then send out item. You will have both parties addresses, e-mail and poss phone no.s. I've brought and sold quite a few items on this board. Just be carefull with new members though.

T

Trending Topics

Old 15 October 2001, 09:58 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

I agree on the escrow idea, i've signed upto PayPal and Nochex, they both seem to be highly recommended.

Jim
Old 15 October 2001, 01:38 PM
Silent Monkey
Scooby Regular

Nochex (and I believe PayPal) offer you little or no protection.
With Nochex it is your responsibility to ensure the person you are dealing with is reputable. If your goods never arrive they will not refund. There was a recent case where a fraudulent seller on EBay and Yahoo was estimated to have got away with around £10,000 using Nochex.

Escrow services are different.