uk wrx remapped..how noticable is difference

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2006, 11:10 PM
trogs109
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk wrx remapped..how noticable is difference

hi all
as above really, standard bugeye. what do you need to go with a remap to get the most out of it, and is there a great difference.

thanks
Old 26 January 2006, 11:13 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

just add a a full decat and a panel filter and you will see some cracking improvements
Old 26 January 2006, 11:15 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

with a full decat and a panel filter a remap should give you around a 70bhp increase
Old 26 January 2006, 11:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave uk blue mica
with a full decat and a panel filter a remap should give you around a 70bhp increase

and since dave maps cars you know he makes sense
Old 27 January 2006, 10:08 AM
trogs109
Scooby Regular

thanks for this fellas, sounds good. But how do you get through MOT
Old 27 January 2006, 10:17 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Decat and remap

MOT time, you can swap the decat for your original exhaust and then switch it back, or keep your eyes peeled for a performance friendly garage they are out there!
Old 27 January 2006, 10:44 AM
woolz
Scooby Regular

once the car is remaped for the decat wont the ecu going all funny if you then swapped the orignal zorst back on for the mot?
Old 27 January 2006, 10:48 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by woolz
once the car is remaped for the decat wont the ecu going all funny if you then swapped the orignal zorst back on for the mot?
It will affect it, but your not going to be running the car for more than a few hours with the standard exhaust on, you just use it top pass your mot and then switch it back after. Not that I would do this Mr BTP but from what i have heard
Old 27 January 2006, 10:51 AM
woolz
Scooby Regular

cool thanks! one more quick question about a decat... if you dont have an after market zorst does it sound very loud having just a decat?
Old 27 January 2006, 10:57 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by woolz
cool thanks! one more quick question about a decat... if you dont have an after market zorst does it sound very loud having just a decat?
Not quite sure what you mean . The decat will increase the noise levels, most people generally do a decat downpipe and centre section with a back box on the end. 2.5" is good for applications up to 350hp-ish and then a 3" system for power applications up and beyond that
Old 27 January 2006, 11:02 AM
woolz
Scooby Regular

i mean if you keep the standard zorst and just have a decat will it increase my noise?
Old 27 January 2006, 11:13 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

yes
Old 27 January 2006, 11:25 AM
Mjb1957
Scooby Regular

I have a 2005 wrx, will a full decat and a panel filter increase my power output.
I currently have a K&N filter at the moment .
Old 27 January 2006, 11:59 AM
justanotherperson
Scooby Regular

If i put a green panel filter in my bugeye02 will it need a remap?

and what *roughly*will a sportcat and panel filter get me in bhp increase?
Old 27 January 2006, 06:28 PM
WELBY
Scooby Regular

I had just the centre cat removed and a TEK 3 re-map on my bugeye, this has made a noticable difference..
its gone from 215 up to 260bhp..

And it still passes the mot
Old 27 January 2006, 06:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by justanotherperson
If i put a green panel filter in my bugeye02 will it need a remap?

and what *roughly*will a sportcat and panel filter get me in bhp increase?
No.

I believe If you sports cat the DP and decat the rest, you should be looking at around 270 mark, maybe more, pretty soon after the TD04 becomes a limiting factor.

Ns04
Old 27 January 2006, 07:00 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I've got an MY01 bugeye WRX.

With a decat centre pipe, (leaving the up and down pipes in), Magnex backbox and a GREEN panel filter I was getting 222bhp, an increase of 7bhp from standard.

An ecutek remap then pushed this up to 265bhp and 258lb/ft torque.

I have also had my fuel pump changed as well but you could argue for or against needing to do this....and of course it doesn't increase your bhp.

Note: If you are putting in a decat downpipe on a newage, you should also put in a decat up pipe. Someone will probably come along shortly and give you the technical reasons for needing to do this.
Old 27 January 2006, 07:21 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
I've got an MY01 bugeye WRX.

With a decat centre pipe, (leaving the up and down pipes in), Magnex backbox and a GREEN panel filter I was getting 222bhp, an increase of 7bhp from standard.

An ecutek remap then pushed this up to 265bhp and 258lb/ft torque.

I have also had my fuel pump changed as well but you could argue for or against needing to do this....and of course it doesn't increase your bhp.

Note: If you are putting in a decat downpipe on a newage, you should also put in a decat up pipe. Someone will probably come along shortly and give you the technical reasons for needing to do this.
How was your fuel economy affected in the end. You were worried it was running rich and then you took it back if I remember correctly?
Old 27 January 2006, 07:42 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben v7
How was your fuel economy affected in the end. You were worried it was running rich and then you took it back if I remember correctly?
It isn't running excessively rich (at least not when it was back on the rollers) but it is still using shed loads of fuel. I'm not getting more than 21mpg's on a normal weekly work run that used to give me 26mpg's. I suppose if you want STi fuel speed you'll get STi fuel economy.

I'm going to buy an air/fuel gauge though to see if it give me any useful info (and it'll look good in the centre pod )
Old 27 January 2006, 07:44 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
It isn't running excessively rich (at least not when it was back on the rollers) but it is still using shed loads of fuel. I'm not getting more than 21mpg's on a normal weekly work run that used to give me 26mpg's. I suppose if you want STi fuel speed you'll get STi fuel economy.

I'm going to buy an air/fuel gauge though to see if it give me any useful info (and it'll look good in the centre pod )
Just strange that. I have always been under the impression that a remapped car would be more fuel efficient. Have you been using the power more since it's been mapped?

Mines being fitted with a sports-cat downpipe, de-cat up-pipe and then remap. I do quite a few miles so hope I am still going to be able to get 30mpg on A-road and motorway cruises.
Old 27 January 2006, 07:58 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is much more fuel efficient post decat. Obviously this is with gentle speed limit driving such as on the motorway or just keeping the revs down. If you boot the car around the back roads you can watch the fuel gauge drop.
I can get 34mpg no probs on long journeys driving like a *****.
Old 27 January 2006, 08:00 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Driving like a ***** I get nowhere near 30mpg's. I reckon I could squeeze 22 or 23mpg's at a push
Old 27 January 2006, 08:09 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
My car is much more fuel efficient post decat. Obviously this is with gentle speed limit driving such as on the motorway or just keeping the revs down. If you boot the car around the back roads you can watch the fuel gauge drop.
Thats what I wanted to hear. I am happy to sit at 70mph on the motorway and currently get about 30mpg doing that so if I gain another couple of mpg with the de-cat (centre went long ago) and remap then I'll be happy. Fuel savings over life of ownership will justify the remap cost - that's what I tell myself anyway.

Trap2 - bizzare that your car is guzzling so much juice even when driving it gently. I'll see what mine does when it's done as same variant and will have the same mods bar the sports cat downpipe and up-pipe. Will probably be using the same mappers that you did too.
Old 27 January 2006, 08:42 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

I have just had a 2001 bugeye remapped and the increase in midrange is very noticable, now pushing 265+ with K&N and a decat.

I was just wondering about fuel after a remap.
It was remapped with Optimax in, but depending where I am I dont always know where to get Optimax.

Will it do any damage if I stick a tank of Superplus in every now and then ?

Cheers
Martin.
Old 27 January 2006, 09:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by funkyspider
I have just had a 2001 bugeye remapped and the increase in midrange is very noticable, now pushing 265+ with K&N and a decat.

I was just wondering about fuel after a remap.
It was remapped with Optimax in, but depending where I am I dont always know where to get Optimax.

Will it do any damage if I stick a tank of Superplus in every now and then ?

Cheers
Martin.
Ideally, you really need to run the car on the octane petrol it was mapped for mate. You'll want to get a K(C)nock Link to keep an eye on things, this will tell you if the feul you've put in isnt good enough.

Ns04
Old 27 January 2006, 09:11 PM
justanotherperson
Scooby Regular

Ok im a bit new to Scooby tunning and it probably shows ,so it's obviouse where the center section of an exhaust is,the downpipe is off the turbo manifold i take it,but where the hell is the up pipe and there is 3 cats on a bugeye ??? even on a modern car 3
Old 27 January 2006, 09:14 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by trogs109
hi all
as above really, standard bugeye. what do you need to go with a remap to get the most out of it, and is there a great difference.

thanks
YHPM trogs
Old 27 January 2006, 09:20 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an MY01 UK WRX Impreza. Me and Trap2 went for a remap at the same time. When I got there I was getting a ****ty 208 BHP!!!
I have a Ecutek Remap by Powerstation £499 +VAT. I changed the panel filter for an HKS Green Foam Hybrid (not oiled) £34, I have a WR sport Backbox that came with the car but still have all the cats in place. No MOT problems. As a recommendation of Rich at Powerstation I fitted a Walbro 225 fuel pump, £80 second hand. I run it on Tesco 97 RON all the time.

262.5 BHP.
343 Nm Torque.

It now spools up quicker, is punchy as **** in the mid range and scares the bejesus out of and does pull away from Boxsters. 0-60 is now a whisker over 5 secs

STi figures for less than £800

Go figure.

If you want I can e-mail the graphs from Powerstation too.
Old 27 January 2006, 09:29 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Ideally, you really need to run the car on the octane petrol it was mapped for mate. You'll want to get a K(C)nock Link to keep an eye on things, this will tell you if the feul you've put in isnt good enough.

Ns04
Can't the new age ECU's cope with this? I understand knock links are needed on the classics but the New Age ECU will retard timing automatically if it detects det (lower octane fuel) - which makes a knock link more or less redundant. I'm not bothering with one on mine.

Ben
Old 28 January 2006, 09:30 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgcvk
Sitting down and working it out with proper decimal points etc I'm actually getting more like 29.9999 - 30.122 mpg on long hauls. Still not too bad and better post remap.