Sponsored by:

Air con on WRX05

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2006, 06:24 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air con on WRX05

Just noticed tonight that when i put the air con on it seems to switch itself on and off (i.e. the click under the bonnet and the higher rpm, not the light inside that is always on). It does this at regular intervals and never really seems to be on for long. Is this normal with climate control cos other cars I have had where either on all the time or off all the time. Comments would be appreciated.

Regards
Old 25 January 2006, 06:29 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

same on mine matey so would assume it's standard.
Old 25 January 2006, 06:37 PM
Lexx
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I think most modern scoobs have a cut out at higher revs, this plants more power back to the engine for accelerating etc.
Think mine clicks off soon after the turbo cuts in, but i'm normally grinning ear to ear by then and not listening for the air con clicks .
If it's intermittent at lower / all over the range then it sounds a bit dicky to me.
Then again i'm no expert.
Is it on "auto" as the thermostat will then click in and out to keep a more constant temperature?
All the best.
Lexx.
Old 25 January 2006, 06:45 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Set the heating to full auto with the aircon on, pop the bonnet and watch the front right side of all the whirry bits. You will see something move across right to left, click loudly, start spinning, then disengage and move back. This will happen approx every 45 secs if memory serves me right. This is what you're hearing from inside. Perfectly normal apparently.
Old 25 January 2006, 06:51 PM
T6UNE
Scooby Regular

i dunno about in your car, but as far as i know climate control will turn on and off, its how it keeps the cabin a certain temperature.
Old 25 January 2006, 06:56 PM
RobHardy
Scooby Regular

my epxerience is that it does it auto, so switchs air con on and off like above sed. if its winter it wont use it, if its summer it will. no point in climate otherwise! perhaps scooby one is a bit senstive
Old 25 January 2006, 06:57 PM
RJL_WRX05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NorthDownsScooby
Set the heating to full auto with the aircon on, pop the bonnet and watch the front right side of all the whirry bits. You will see something move across right to left, click loudly, start spinning, then disengage and move back. This will happen approx every 45 secs if memory serves me right. This is what you're hearing from inside. Perfectly normal apparently.
Thanks for the response. The explanation above is pretty much exactly what is happening. I am only talking about at idle (god knows what happens whilst driving). I didn't see naything movein (cos it was dark!!) however it clicked loudly every 45 secs and the engine revs kept dropping off and picking up i.e. on/off. Glad it's normal, cheers all

It does this weather it is on auto or not by the way.