Sponsored by:

What's wrong with the P1???

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2000, 08:35 PM
GTIGUY
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just a quick question, I've been reading this board for the past year or so....(insanely jealous of your impreza turbos)- I've notived the majority of you seem to snub the P1..? I'm just wondering if the main reason is the price?? I'm from the USA, and I think I speak for the few car enthusiasts in America when I say, "we would kill for a car like that!!" Of course us wacko Americans seem to want to "kill" for no reason at all.. Anyway, what's the deal with that? Thanks
Old 03 October 2000, 08:53 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I own a 'standard' uk Turbo which is fantastic. I would LOVE to have a P1.

Trouble is the missus thinks I've spent enough on a car already (although she sdoes enjoy driving it herself) - I think huge marital disharmony would ensue if I were to contemplate £30,000 being spent on a car!

- unless it were a Jaguar XK8/R

Mick
Old 03 October 2000, 09:12 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well, I think there are several different reasons, all of these are from reading the board and talking to people as I don't have one myself.
The first of which has to be that Subaru/IM/Prodrive seemeed unable to get a few basic things right on release, i.e paint sticking to the wing/bumper inserts etc.

Also some/all/many future owners were not kept informed of delivery times, which, for some, kept slipping.

The other reason has to be that it is an upgraded, via bolt on bits of an STi4/5 (can't remember) and pricey with it.

Personally I think the primary reason is that for years IM and some/most dealers have treated with contempt those of us who choose to import a higher spec car from Japan for less money, all the while telling us that it is impossible to get a 276bhp engine to pass emmisions controls in the UK. Then hey presto they import one and everything is OK.

IMHO IM have made a grave mistake in shunning us import owners as they have now , but not catering for us, created a large independant service and upgrade industry, so cars outside warrenty period are dissapearing into the independant sector. In addition to this many people have now succesfully imported their own cars from Japan and are not regular dealer visitors, in my view this will lead to people importing their next car as well despite the ,hopefull, arrival of higher power versions from to dealers.

Rant over

Think its basically that some people don't think its worth the money.
Old 03 October 2000, 09:19 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

Talking

The people who dislike/snub the P1 seem to be those that own imported STi Vs and V1s, mainly two door Type Rs. The reason for this, i would guess, is that up until now they have been the only ones to have the full 280bhp by buying specially imported cars from Japan. Now they are jealous that any Tom, Dick or Harry can own such a car by walking into their own dealer, and handing over a (fairly large) wad of cash.

P1 owners are obviously keen to point out that <I>they</I> have a 3 year warranty, and STi owners like to point out that <I>they</I> have paid £3-4K less.

Each to their own I guess

SimonM
(Happy with his Terzo, but jealous that any Tom, Dick or Harry can buy P1s & 22Bs in the same colour)

Old 03 October 2000, 09:22 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I think if they were priced at about 26-27K they would have sold them all very easily.

I really think they should have done the initial 500 and left it as it would aid residuals. All the specials seem to keep their values better because they were low production.

I would have one for the right price .

cheers

chrisp
Old 03 October 2000, 09:26 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

GTIGUY

I think most owners would like a P1 (I would ), although one problem is that even in 'standard' UK Turbo guise the car is pretty awesome . It certainly isn't cheap - Prodrive kit is usually good but pricey.

The other problem is that at the moment, the car market in the UK is a complete mess. I don't think you could describe the P1 as a mainstream car, but it has certainly been affected. Dealers are falling over themselves to sell you a car and second hand values are in freefall. From that point of view, Subaru probably could not of chosen a worse time to launch the car!

Chris

Old 03 October 2000, 09:33 PM
GTIGUY
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for the reply's...
Old 04 October 2000, 12:27 AM
adelasalle
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got a P1, took delivery recently, and I agree, it is over priced in comparison, but then most UK cars are... its a bit gutting to think if I had waited a couple of months I might have got it cheaper.. but hey, like anything, if you want it now you pay the price. Its a great car, I had a W reg UK Turbo before it which I adored (sad to see it go).. All in all, if you remove price from the equation (and when prodrive finally deliver my rear spoiler! got the STI one at the mow, which i prefer to be honest!).. STI version ??? or P1 or standard turbo, they all are great cars, hats off to anyone that owns one..

l8r, Alex
Old 04 October 2000, 12:38 AM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

Question

GTIGUY

What car do you drive?

Scott!
Old 04 October 2000, 01:12 PM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Adelaselle,

Do you know something we don't, when you say that if you waited a couple of months you might get a P1 cheaper. Are you talking new car discount or second hand?..... I'm intrigued.

Thanks,

Andrew.

PS. Have you been told when you are likely to receive your P1 top spoiler.

Cheers,

[This message has been edited by Andrew O'Hara (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 04 October 2000, 01:33 PM
GTIGUY
Scooby Newbie

I actually drive a 00'golf gti vr6 and a 00' golf 1.8 turbo...I would gladly trade both for a P1 or 22b!!!!! I did try a 99' Impreza 2.5 rs, it was a blast to drive, but just toooooo slow..! Here's a link to the golfs...
Old 04 October 2000, 01:36 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Equivalent to USD 44,000 price tag - doesn't make it look so inviting does it?
Old 04 October 2000, 01:39 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mike

But if it was for sale in the US (ignoring emissions laws etc. for the moment) it would probably cost sub $30,000 US.
Old 04 October 2000, 01:53 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

GTIGUY,
The reason everyone slates the P1 is envy. It's a great British tradition (like snobbery) that allows us to put down anyone (who must be British) who is successful, or anything (which must also be British, or at least have a strong British link i.e. Prodrive/IM). If the P1 was a load of rubbish, or didn't have a warranty, we would love it! The good old underdog syndrome.

The whole British Olympic team is to be publicly executed for doing so well this time round.

Geezer

P.S. Just remember there would be no USA without us young man.

P.P.S Sorry, just my natural British superiority rearing its ugly head there
Old 04 October 2000, 01:56 PM
GTIGUY
Scooby Newbie

Talking

LOL thanks GEEZER
Old 04 October 2000, 01:58 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Wink

So maybe we should get all the medals from former colonies...
Old 04 October 2000, 02:09 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

I can't help thinking that if IM had sold the P1 WR at the price of the regular P1, they would have silenced a lot of critics.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 04 October 2000, 02:12 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Smile

As an STi6 Type R owner, I haven't got anything against the P1 at all - it's a smart motor. I agree with Paul Wilson though. Putting Subaru UK/IM etc aside, the bottom line is that when Joe Punter buys a Subaru STi car, he sees it as handing over a large sum of money to the Japanese car manufacturer 'Subaru'. He then takes his car to be serviced by a garage with 'Subaru' signs plastered all over it, and they tell him to bog off. Naive maybe, but not everyone has Subaru UK's attitude that they're nothing to do with Subaru Japan.
I get my car serviced by Mitsubishi Ralliart, who are more than happy to take the business. Pretty ironic huh?
Anyway, I reckon the P1 will hold it's value a damn sight better than mine will, so it may be worth the extra money paid for it anyway.
Old 04 October 2000, 02:12 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AWD:
<B>
So maybe we should get all the medals from former colonies... [/quote]

Former for <B> now </B>

Geezer

[This message has been edited by Geezer (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 04 October 2000, 02:15 PM
GTIGUY
Scooby Newbie

Question

hey, what's IM????
Old 04 October 2000, 03:06 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GTIGUY:
<B>hey, what's IM???? [/quote]

IM are a front for an international money laundering organisation. They very cleverly bring Subarus in the UK for 3 shillings apiece, and then sell them onto the general public for £21,000.

All proceeds are then put into improving the subliminal bannering around the UK that convinces the poor fools that they are getting a good deal, andthat they will be able to actually claim on their so called "warranties".

The head of IM is actually an alien, who's name roughly translates to "Boy aren't I lucky to have discovered such a gullible species". He has never actually been seen by a human who lived to tell the tale.

Geezer

Old 04 October 2000, 03:14 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Nothing
Old 04 October 2000, 03:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

acording to a fairly reliable source They are selling P1's brand new for £28,500 at a main dealer in the midlands.

nothing wrong with the P1, just seems an awefull lot of dosh to spend on an impreza that isnt a 22B.

Old 04 October 2000, 04:13 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Although I apreciate the price difference, it is not simply an STiV with a different rear wing and 'bolt-on' air-dam.

Apart from the 'bolt-on' items, the car has been remapped to run on 95, and apart from anything else has Prodrive developed and tuned suspension, not the original stuff. (am I technical or what?)

Personally I'm begining to wonder whether some of the critisism is actually jealousy or snobbery. Because there is definately an element of Impreza owners who feel that the only true enthusiast is one who either owns an import or has heavily modified their UK model.

Whilst I have to confess that I have had a couple of minor problems with mine, I am absolutely delighted with it. And that's even before it's been run-in (first service on Monday).

Roll on next week!

Josh

[This message has been edited by Josh L (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 04 October 2000, 05:17 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

P1s are great... just as long as the drivers remember to check their mirrors and let those with faster cars overtake.
Old 04 October 2000, 05:24 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

..like Cavaliers
Old 04 October 2000, 10:09 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Enter the above mentioned 'element'!
Old 05 October 2000, 12:32 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

The P1 appears to be a very fine car - in early 1999 it's price would have been spot on with Hendry/Warrender etc selling STis for over £30k.

Now that the STi bubble has burst and new V/VIs can be had for just over £20k, a P1 suddenly looks a tad expensive.

In response to Josh's comment about running it on PULP - AFAIK if you do run it on PULP you will get less boost and therefore less power. Widening the price/performance ratio (i.e. even more £££s for less BHP) when compared to an RB5 WR for example.

The WR spec looks even better, but is £38.5k.

Bottom line - nothing wrong with the P1, and STi drivers are not jealous of the car, just the ability that people have to shell out nearly £40k on a new car

R
Old 05 October 2000, 12:58 AM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

I've got a P1 and here is what's wrong with it...

Brakes... Crap, infact it's almost insulting that there are 'WR' spec brakes, I thought this was the production Impreza to end all production Impreza's?
Exhaust... I thought they got special dispensation for being a 'supercar' to allow a louder exhaust? (oh look there is a 'WR' one!)
Too safe handling... you can still get caught with understeer into the hedge if your not thinking about it first.
The WR version at 6k more... and please why is one of the selling points electric seats that weigh more???
The way the paint falls off the spoilers and bumpers makes you cry..
What happened to the 'quick' steering rack? What happened to the adjustable rear spoiler? (or event to low/high downforce options)

On the good side it's staggeringly quick. 0-60 in 4.6 sec is real and I have taken the car right off the speedo in 5th to the red-line several times really easily (I think it's the same speedo as the STi) and I have a GPS reading logged at 154.5mph elsewhere.

I've had it 3 months, done 10,000 miles and still can't get the grin off my face... Oh and I am pretty sure I have lost my licence (another thread) so it'll be track only pretty soon

©
Old 05 October 2000, 11:20 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

LOL Geezer

I don't go along with the 'people with STis are jealous crap' - The P1 isn't disliked, it's just as john says - a lot of money for something that isn't a 22b

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the P1???