Sponsored by:

Torque of the EVO

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2000, 11:20 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

How does the EVO VI manage to muster so much torque so far down the rev range compared to the Scooby STI (approx 270 at 3000rpm vs 260 at 4000rpm)? Why can't even the 22b with 2.2 engine even match it? Are subaru engineers not as clever as Mitsubishi ones or is our scoobs engine better in other ways like power and drivability?

Another thing - I've go a standard 98 WRX and I've always wondered how far behind the STI version it is and how much better than the UK version it is? Is there anyone here who's driven them and can tell me how they compare all round?

See ya, Adam.

[This message has been edited by scoobysnacks (edited 06 October 2000).]
Old 06 October 2000, 11:26 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

The WRX is a stunning car (as you know), but the STi is just a whole step better (IMHO). Quicker, torquier (is that a word??), smoother.

It's all degrees of excellence though really.

regards

Simon
Old 06 October 2000, 02:22 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Have you driven/owned both types or just read about the differences?
Old 06 October 2000, 02:56 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Simon has probably driven more variants of the scooby than anyone else on this board.

I based my current purchase on a lot he said about the cars.

Cem
Old 06 October 2000, 03:39 PM
TonyC-Evo Lurker
Scooby Regular

Changes were made to the stroke of the engine to allow it to produce such humongous torque figures. (The 4/5/6 produce far more torque than the 1/2/3 despite only have a relativly small BHP hike - eg the evo3 has 270bhp vs the 4's 276. But the 4 has loads more torque.)
Why don't the scoob's have so much ? No idea - perhaps its an inherent design limitation in the flat four type engine, compared to the evo's more conventional block...
Although damn you if that flat four sounds sexy and my evo sounds like its on spin cycle.
TonyC
Old 06 October 2000, 07:59 PM
TTZZ
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scoobysnacks:
[B]Hi all,

How does the EVO VI manage to muster so much torque so far down the rev range compared to the Scooby STI (approx 270 at 3000rpm vs 260 at 4000rpm)? Why can't even the 22b with 2.2 engine even match it? Are subaru engineers not as clever as Mitsubishi ones or is our scoobs engine better in other ways like power and drivability?

This is because of the longer stroke, the subaru has a very short stroke, I think they call it as over square, the bore is larger than the stroke.
The mitsubitshi has alonger stroke than the bore.
Compare this to the volvo T5 T5R, these engines has also a longer stroke than bore.
They have also a lot of torque at low revs.
Regards, Jan-egbert.
Old 07 October 2000, 12:45 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I was with a friend doing 3 digit speeds on an autobahn recently and we both nailed it in 5th gear at the same time. I have an Evo VI and he has a STI4 Type R V-Ltd. There was no competition, he just blew me away. The difference was staggering. We both had completely standard cars.

2 things you need to think about though. The STI has much shorter gearing than the Evo and if anyone has ever seen a standard Evo exhaust, you will understand how restrictive it actually is. The backbox comes off at a right angle from the centre pipe! I have just replaced my exhaust for a straight thru magnex and the torque difference now is simply staggering. I have never witnessed anything pull so hard in all available gears at any speed.

Cem
Old 07 October 2000, 01:18 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Arr but the STi can make up in the gearing

On another subject, I've been thinking Of those transmissons that have lost a gear due to fitting a twin plate clutch, were they locking the diff at the time ? I have a twin plate clutch sitting under the kitchen sink that i paid ****loads for (no i better not risk it again) Jan are you still about ?
Old 09 October 2000, 05:50 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

What about the twin scroller turbo (or something) that the EVO has. Is that a dual stage turbo of some sort (akin to vtec in an engine)?

[This message has been edited by scoobysnacks (edited 09 October 2000).]