Sponsored by:

Speeding - points and ban?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2006, 11:38 AM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Speeding - points and ban?

What is the likely points and ban situation for getting caught at 101mph!!!
They got me last night.
Cannot really complain since I have been regularly breakiing the limit but still pissed off!!
Law of averages finally got me.
Aggs
Old 15 January 2006, 11:41 AM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aggs
What is the likely points and ban situation for getting caught at 101mph!!!
They got me last night.
Cannot really complain since I have been regularly breakiing the limit but still pissed off!!
Law of averages finally got me.
Aggs
With a decent barrister you may look at 6 - 9 points and a few hundred pound fine but you normally get a couple of months ban for something like that.
Old 15 January 2006, 11:44 AM
aggs
Scooby Regular

was hoping only 2 weeks!!!
Old 15 January 2006, 11:50 AM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aggs
was hoping only 2 weeks!!!
Could be lucky. Has been known. Just keep your fingers crossed that you have a nice judge.
Old 15 January 2006, 11:51 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

You will go to court (magistrates) and it will be up to them

Seek legal advice

I was cought on a mobile trap three and a half years ago on an A road having just overtaken a lorry. The recorded speed was 102mph (ie 42mph above the limit ) I went to court, it was my first offence, I had already stated that I would plead guilty (as advised) and in mitigation explained I was completing an overtaking manover, wasn't watching my speed but concentrating on completing the manover quickly and when I received the NIP I had been shocked at the recorded speed, my company had written explaining I need to be mobile tp perform my job (sales engineer - I was with my boss on the way to a meeting when caught) and that it would cause the company problems if I wasn't able to.

I was incredably lucky and was given a 300 pound fine, 50 pounds costs and 6 points. I should have received a ban in reality, but they looked kindly upon me because I held my hands up and took responsibility for my actions, as well as being suited and booted and having the advantage of a completely clean license.

The punishment is completely at the discretion of the magistrates and they will take advice from the Clark of the court. Typically bans can be anything from 7 days to a year for speeding offences, worse if they consider wreckless driving. With totting up ie 12 points it is an automatic 6 month ban. Fine wise again it's at their discretion but is income based, anything from 60 quid to 3000!
Old 15 January 2006, 11:53 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Oh and one further point, it's a ban or points, not both
Old 15 January 2006, 12:05 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim W
Oh and one further point, it's a ban or points, not both
Unless you already have points on your license and the points awarded by the courts takes you over your maximum allowance of 12. Then you get a ban too!!

Ben
Old 15 January 2006, 12:06 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

How and where did you get done? Hand held or camera or video?

A few years ago a mate of mine was driving and we were travelling down the M5 towards the M50 turn off in a works mondeo tdi estate. Empty motorway about 2pm in a widely spaced line of about 3 cars. Passed under a bridge and he said oh **** speed gun. I was dozing and looked up and saw the speedo showing 95. Asked him what he saw and he said copper pointing a hand held gun at him. We got pulled over and he had to go sit in the patrol car. He was shown a piece of paper with 101 written on it. Being a bit younger and more naive then we are now we didn't know about speed guns etc. When I asked him what happened he said he didn't notice the copper standing on the bridge until we were passing under so didn't slow down. I told him he wasn't doing 101 in that case. He also said the copper followed the car under the bridge with the hand held which you are not allowed to do. We both thought this was odd. He just wanted to get it over with though and not fight it. Went to court with him for support and strangely everyone in for speeding that morning had been done at the same bridge doing 101. Weird eh?

If that was now I'd fight it as there were a few things he was doing that were wrong but at the time we weren't aware of them.

Don't know how you were done so not sure if this helps but 101 as we thought at the time is a very odd speed to be done for. Its just the wrong side of a ton if you know what I mean....

He ended up with 5 points and Ł600 fine. He did have a letter from work saying he need to drive though.
Old 15 January 2006, 12:18 PM
filfy
Scooby Regular

I was up at court this month for speeding.The two traffic cops estimated my speed at 100/110 mph They had just put the camera away when i came blasting by All i can say is that they were not very good at estimating .Anyway the outcome of it all was 6 points Ł450.00 fine and Ł40.00 court costs,and that was with 3 points on my license for speeding allready.

IMHO i dont think you will loose your license (good luck)
Old 15 January 2006, 12:31 PM
paul corrigan
Scooby Regular

i was doing 130 when i spotted this copper flying up behind me,
after hitting the brakes my average speed they got me at was 112
i got a letter from work saying that if i lost my licence
i would not be able to work and therfore put me out of a job
when they send you the court forms there will be one that you have to fill in stating how much money you need a month ,imade it that after all my outgoings i had very little left thats why the fine was only 180 pound
i got caugth for this about 8 years ago just as the over 100 instant ban rumours were flying about i ended up with no ban and six points
good luck paul
Old 15 January 2006, 12:37 PM
PIE CJ
Scooby Regular

back in march 2000 at 5am i got clocked at 93mph in a 60 limit !

got a letter from work stating if i got a ban id lose my job, got a good solicitor

walked away 6 points, 50 court costs and Ł150 fine

get a good solicitor mate and best of luck !

doubt ull get a ban and if u do any good solitcitor will get it down to 14 days
Old 15 January 2006, 01:01 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I got caught speeding several years ago and already had 3 points. I went to court (suited and booted), admitted the offence and explained that if I lost my license it would cost me my job (which wasn't actually true but seemed a good way of trying to escape a ban).

They gave me 8 points, taking me to 11 in total.........oh and fined me Ł800!!

I shot myself in the foot really because not only did I have to shell out on an inflated fine, I couldn't get my insurance renewed (at least not for a affordable amount) so ended up with a "ban" of sorts anyway which lasted for 4 years until my points came off.

After the 1st year or so I insured myself on my new girlfriend/wife's car so I was able to drive but I wasn't gaining any NCD.

I'm still paying for it now really because my WRX insurance last May cost me Ł1500 because of 0 NCD's.

Looking back I should've taken a ban, benefit of hindsight I suppose.
Old 15 January 2006, 01:21 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

They saw me as I came through a motorway junction, lucky they only got me on video because I was slowing down to come off at juction,busy looking at signs and did not see them approaching from behind.
Could have been caught doing MUCH faster.
Hope car is ok because had to switch it straight off no cooling or anything.That bugs me as much as getting caught, had been on motorway for at least 40 mins.

2am in morning v v. light traffic.

Last edited by aggs; 15 January 2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 15 January 2006, 02:03 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basic rule of thumb: if you don't like the risk of a ban, keep your speed under a ton. Over 100mph on a motorway is an SP50 IIRC, over 100mph on a dual carriageway is an SP30.

Either way the magistrates' guidelines suggest 6 points or a short ban. 28 days is the usual unless you can mitigate for 6 points instead. A fine comes as an added bonus as well, which basically should be worked according to your means.

I actually asked for a ban rather than 6 points (104mph on a dual carriageway). Less long term damage to my licence and before anyone says anything, yes I had checked out the possible insurance implications in great detail. For me, a 28 day SP30 ban worked out a lot cheaper long term than 6 points, especially as I had 3 already.
Old 15 January 2006, 02:38 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Basic rule of thumb: if you don't like the risk of a ban, keep your speed under a ton. Over 100mph on a motorway is an SP50 IIRC, over 100mph on a dual carriageway is an SP30.

Either way the magistrates' guidelines suggest 6 points or a short ban. 28 days is the usual unless you can mitigate for 6 points instead. A fine comes as an added bonus as well, which basically should be worked according to your means.

I actually asked for a ban rather than 6 points (104mph on a dual carriageway). Less long term damage to my licence and before anyone says anything, yes I had checked out the possible insurance implications in great detail. For me, a 28 day SP30 ban worked out a lot cheaper long term than 6 points, especially as I had 3 already.
Exactly, that's where I went wrong. Should have taken an SP ban instead of the 8 points. Trying to get insurance with 11 points is nigh impossible unless money is no object.
Old 15 January 2006, 03:17 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Points on your licence are only reset to zero if the short period ban exceeds 56 days, less than that and you're earlier points are not wiped off.

Andy
Old 15 January 2006, 03:25 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

I got a 12 month ban for drink driving 2 years ago (only had 2 pints but still stupid I know ) and had 6 points on my licence. Does that mean they would of been wiped off my licence as i've told my insurance company that I have a DR10 and 6 points which must be alot more than I should be paying?
Old 15 January 2006, 03:38 PM
OhMyGodItsBlue
Scooby Regular

If you always speed then you get what you deserve mate.
Why do people do it and then complain when they get caught??
There is one simple answer - DON'T SPEED.
Old 15 January 2006, 04:07 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

If you read below. I have no complaint.

As they say "Fair Cop Gov"

Been trying to find out what could happen.
Old 15 January 2006, 04:13 PM
wonfa
Scooby Regular

my brother got caught the other year doing 101 on the motorway he got a one week ban and 600 pound fine, he was suppose to have 6 points too but when he sent his licence away they sent it back but forgot to add any points to it
wonfa
Old 15 January 2006, 04:13 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

it's the price you pay for owning this type of car. I've gone 7 years without points until now. The problem is, this type of car isn't fun unless you're booting it at break neck speeds.
Old 15 January 2006, 04:30 PM
OhMyGodItsBlue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobedoo
it's the price you pay for owning this type of car. I've gone 7 years without points until now. The problem is, this type of car isn't fun unless you're booting it at break neck speeds.
well i can have fun in mine without driving like a moron
Old 15 January 2006, 04:34 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

80 in a 30.... bring it on!!!!
Old 15 January 2006, 04:42 PM
mansonjaffa
Scooby Newbie

I got caught a couple of years back doing 99mph by speed camera van,

got 3 month ban and Ł450 fine, felt i got shafted as you hear other doing the same and only getting 3 point and small fine, suppose thats the joys in living in the north of scotland.

I would seek legal advice.
Old 15 January 2006, 05:01 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I would opt for a two month ban rather than 9 points, as once the ban is over your clean otherwise your driving on a knife edge waiting for a ban off 3 points.
Old 15 January 2006, 05:06 PM
Ennoch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OhMyGodItsBlue
If you always speed then you get what you deserve mate.
Why do people do it and then complain when they get caught??
There is one simple answer - DON'T SPEED.
Oh hello mr Holyer than thou. There are many people on here that seem to be under the impression that asking what the likely outcome of something is going to be is complaining. It isn't. Asking what to expect from an action is completely different to complaining about the consequence. If I get caught speeding, I will be pissed that i got caught but would accept it and would probably ask people what others have been punished with under the same circumstances. Doing this alows you to change plans and hopefully reduce any negative impact of the punishment.

Either way, definitely get a good barrister who has good recommendations.
Old 15 January 2006, 05:13 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OhMyGodItsBlue
well i can have fun in mine without driving like a moron

Old 15 January 2006, 05:15 PM
OhMyGodItsBlue
Scooby Regular

if you post on a public forum, expect people to express their opinions. If you dont like it - dont post.
Old 15 January 2006, 05:16 PM
OhMyGodItsBlue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rexabusa
hey mate, its true. thats what track days and drag strips are for. i dont wanna be cleaned up by some pratt who thinks he's invincible.
Old 15 January 2006, 05:21 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

ooooohhhhhhhh , whats wrong old man. - were you not young once - and you have NEVER put the boot down in your car on the queens highway right.

or are you just another hipicrit old bŁ$%^_+d with nothing better to do than look down your nose at speeders , bloody scounderals

i think thats what wrong with this forum is the generation clash

Quick Reply: Speeding - points and ban?