Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2006, 04:28 AM
meedek
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subby awd system manual or auto tranny

Hi All,
Newbie....first post !

I will be purchasing a new Outback latter this year, and wanted any input on the best setup for traveling snow covered roads, awd system with auto or mannual tranny ??

At present I have a forester 2003 xs with auto tranny.I am a traveling salesman in northern British Columbia, and encounter snow covered roads for up to 6 months a year.

My previous Subaru was a 1990 legacy wagon awd with 5 speed mannual tranny, and it performed much better in my opinion on snow covered hwy.The Forester and auto is all over the place in slushy conditions.I even got passed by a Dodge neon and coundn't keep up, and I am a very aggressive driver, that bites !

As I understand it the auto send maximum 60% to the front and 40% to the rear, and the mannual tranny is 50 front and 50 rear and can all the power to the front or rear wells.

Forester and auto on slush, send power back and forth and develop allot of wheel spin, and drives me nuts !

My previous vehical was a jeep cherokee and in four wheel high it never reacted as bad as the forester on a slushy hwy.

Just want to make the right choice.

I have run blizzaks and my present tires are yokomama ice guards.

Dave