Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Whats the best chip/re map to get for classic.

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2006, 08:07 PM
stoney dooby doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best chip/re map to get for classic.

I still cant decide wether to go jap or uk.i here lots of negative about imports on here .how much of an issue is the difference in the japanese fuel to ours and is it risky chipping a uk scoob with high mileage.I really fancy a 95 wrx but is it a nightmare with the fuel?A decent unabused lowish mileage uk is dearer than the same age wrx but if chipping is cheap enough i would definately look into it.I am pulling my effing hair out over this as I really couldnt afford any engines going BANG!!! but theres loads of UK classics round near me and I want to be different.
Old 07 January 2006, 08:22 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

You can 'chip' an Impreza with either a Scoobyecu or a VOS chip. They both are fitted into the ecu where Subaru have conveniently left a spare space. They raise the boost and fuel cut levels to around 16.5 psi. With the VOS chip, you will have the CEL on all the time due to them being programmed for the Legacy's (I think).

Apparently these are very good ways of increasing the performance of your car and will fit all Imports with the TD05 turbo from 92-96. I'm looking into doing it to my 1994 WRX. To get the most out of it you should fully de-cat the exhaust and run at least an uprated panel filter if not an induction kit. You can by them pre mapped and ready to go for between £200-300.

The other option is to buy a brand new Apexi PFC ecu and have it custom mapped to your car and what mods you are running and also what fuel you want to run. However these are more costly at £800 supplied/fitted/mapped.

My advice would be to look around at both the UK and Imports and then make your mind up. It's a buyers market and there are loads of these cars around to choose from. Good luck with the search though!!

Ben

Edited - as for the tuning route, get the exhaist fully de-catted first with an uprated panel filter and then look at the chip/ecu option.
Old 08 January 2006, 12:25 AM
avityesboy
Scooby Newbie

I dont think there is too much of an issue as far as i know with fuel, as long as you run your import on high octane fuel at least 97 ron, if concerned too much use an octane booster as well. As for chiping etc even on a high mileage engine, its ok AS long as it has been well looked after and serviced at regular intervals with the correct fluids. Hope this helps.

Avi
Old 08 January 2006, 01:05 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

95WRX import would have the z4 ecu so fine for uk 97ron + (as said by a few well known mappers). The early PPP map was taken from the z4 map with minor adjustments for boost etc.

I've had a remap on my MY94 wagon, but mainly cos its got a different turbo than it should.

If I were you I would buy your 95 WRX and run it on super without worries, but get a knocklink incase, and perhaps a walboro fuel pump, and perhaps a bigger IC....the list goes on so I've lost the point....
Old 08 January 2006, 01:45 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

'Best' is subjective. In my opinion the best option would be an APEXi Power FC replacement ECU; supplied, fitted and mapped by Andy Forrest, for £750.

'ScoobyECU's were good value at £75, but most vendors are asking approaching APEXi money now and they arent a viable proposition.

Simon