Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a sports cat Down Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2006, 06:21 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a sports cat Down Pipe?

Hi all,

I hope the mods will indulge me here whilst I try and drum up some awareness and interest for a very worthwhile group buy.

I'm sure many of you out there are considering going down the route of a decat exhaust in the quest for ever more power out of your scooby! I'm sure some of you -like me- have looked into the possibility of going for a sports cat in the DP to obtain the performance benefits, but keep the car MOT friendly. I'm sure those very people have also recoiled at the price of such Hi-Flow Downpipes! Usually circa £500 not including fitting!!!

Well, you might like to know of a GB that's currently active:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=478368

Hayward and Scott, probably the best known manufacturer of after market exhausts for the Scoobies are offering a sports cat DP (including free fitting) for the following rates: the more who sign up, the cheaper it gets!

Catted Down Pipe

1+ = £475-00 + Vat
5+ = £425-00 + Vat
10+ = £375-00 + Vat

We already have 3 takers subject to getting the numbers! If we can get 10, this is a really good deal!

I know that, even with 10 takers, £375 is still significantly more than you'd pay for a decat DP, but you will be saving yourself money and hassle every year at MOT time, the car will be completely road legal should you get pulled over and will pass roadside emmissions checks.

I understand there are new regulations comming into force with MOTs that will make it a bit harder for cars without the DP cat to be "ahem" sympathetically looked upon and -lets face it- it's not much of a flight of fancy to say that this government may -at any point- decide that a crackdown on emmissions is required with a corresponding increase in roadside emmissions checks. Surely this is a good piece of mind alternative to a decat.

SO

Anyone else interested?!?!

NS04

Of course, the GB also extends to other exhaust parts too. The fouc here is just to try and drum up awareness for the sports cat DP!! Check out the GB thread for more info on the GB prices.
Old 03 January 2006, 08:34 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Where would this be fitted and does it need any ecu work after getting one!
Old 03 January 2006, 09:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by wide
Where would this be fitted and does it need any ecu work after getting one!
At H&S in Basildon.... If I recall correctly!

I'm not an expert, the following is just my understanding.

Power-wise, you'll get most out of the mod if you subsequently have your ECU remapped, even more if you decat the centre section....£70 and then remap. With the sports cat DP alone, you'll get faster spool up, between 500-800 rpm lower and an increase in power and torque, gains will vary from car to car.

If I understand correctly, classics generally run without issue with even a full decat, but it's wise to get a Knocklink just in case. New ages are more prone to boost spikes and may require a CEL fix (cheap) prior to a remap to prevent the engine management light to display the cat on fire warning.

NS04
Old 04 January 2006, 12:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Roll up, roll up!

NS04
Old 04 January 2006, 01:02 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd be surprised if they were fitting downpipes for free. Usually at least an hours labour involved, more if any of the turbo studs need replacing. They will fit centres and backboxes for free though as they did mine a few years back.

I now have a H&S de-cat down pipe ready to go on mine Should have had it fitted ages ago, got as far as wrapping it but have yet to get round to painting it I'll get PS to fit it during my next service which is due soon.
Old 04 January 2006, 01:13 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Been thinking about getting a sports cat downpipe for my classic for a while now (ever since I read up on the new MOT rules), but Basildon's a bit of a trek to make for me. I'm interested all the same.
Old 04 January 2006, 01:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Graz
Personally I'd be surprised if they were fitting downpipes for free. Usually at least an hours labour involved, more if any of the turbo studs need replacing. They will fit centres and backboxes for free though as they did mine a few years back.

I now have a H&S de-cat down pipe ready to go on mine Should have had it fitted ages ago, got as far as wrapping it but have yet to get round to painting it I'll get PS to fit it during my next service which is due soon.
It is free mate, I checked with them in the GB thread! They did conceed that in a few cases they are right buggers to get off and that if they have to start cutting nuts off (sounds painful) there will be a small charge, but for those than can just be replaced normally, no charge.

That's part of what makes this a really good deal!!!

We need a few people to jump on board the wagon and then there really is a BIG saving to be had!! The normal price is £550 and fitting on top of that too IIRC!! That's the price you pay for wanting more poke, but remaining MOT friendly.

Yes, it is still more than you'd pay for a decat pipe, but it will save you hassle every year for MOT, and if you get pulled for a roadside emmissions check etc... and means that the car is completely street legal (which will mean that insurers can't get funny with you). It's all good!

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 04 January 2006 at 01:23 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2006, 01:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by TonyG
Been thinking about getting a sports cat downpipe for my classic for a while now (ever since I read up on the new MOT rules), but Basildon's a bit of a trek to make for me. I'm interested all the same.
They can deliver mate, and you still qualify for the GB if you don't have it fitted there, just means you a) have to stump up a few pennies more to have someone else fit it b) If you can, fit it yourself.

The GB price would still represent a good saving for you, especially if we can get 10 people provisionally interested (you'd be number 4)! What a few of us have done is said, we'll have it ON THE CONDITION that 5/10 people take part and we qualify for the GB price for that many people. Go over to the thread and put your name down and we're one step closer! :-)

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 04 January 2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04 January 2006, 02:46 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent job of rounding people up for the gb ns04!! have posted on sidc forum now as well to try to get a few more.
Old 09 January 2006, 12:02 PM
New_scooby_04

BTTT

Anyone interested in a GB on a Sports cat DP? Please do throw you name in the hat- we need a minimum of 5 to make it viable! This really is a great deal and there is a saving of about £180 to be had on this assuming only 5 people sign up. If we can get 10, there is an even bigger saving.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=478368

We have 3. If you're from one of the other scooby forums, RB5 22b etc.. if one person wouldn't mind posting this in the appropriate place, that would be very helpful.

BTW I received my Car tax reminder notice today :-( Together with a nice little note about the new MOT regs coming into effect, apparently for "our convenience" It won't be for anyone's convenience who has a decat!

Thanks,

NS04