Sponsored by:

06 Spec C

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2006, 10:08 AM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Spec C

Can someone tell me if the 06 Spec C car iis a 2.5 or 2.0 engine?
Old 01 January 2006, 10:11 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

The MY06 Spec C is a 2.0l engine.

It has a 'large port' head and a twin scroll turbo.

As standard they produce around 315-320bhp and if you get yours from Litchfield and fit the Sports exhaust with sports catalyst it produces around 340bhp.

So even with the 2.0l engine it does not suffer from a lack of cubic centimeters
Old 01 January 2006, 10:12 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.0. Litchfield's site has more info.
Old 01 January 2006, 10:13 AM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps for the speedy replies. What is the general opinion of them any good?
Old 01 January 2006, 10:17 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I need to try one, Rannoch has one and appears to like it.

Bored with the M3 Catherine? I am too.
Old 01 January 2006, 10:22 AM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

I sold the M3 (actually the biggest mistake I have made). I bought a new TVR Tamora 3 months ago and it has been off the road for 6 out of 22 weeks.

In fairness to the car, the reason it has been off the road is mainly down to dealer incompetance, but as we have not been able to use it over Christmas and it is currently sat on our driveway unusable (despite only being returned to us on Wednesday) and it is getting to the point where enough is enough.
Old 01 January 2006, 10:26 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Catherine] I bought a new TVR Tamora 3 months ago and it has been off the road for 6 out of 22 weeks.
QUOTE]

Lost me there ...........
Old 01 January 2006, 10:26 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Too many stories like that are the reason I've avoided them, and it seems even now the stories are still being repeated. Not sure about Noble reliability either from having followed one that blew up. I do wonder about the new RS4, but I can't see it being very exciting, probably like a slightly faster M3 with a bit more neutral handling? Porsche?
Old 01 January 2006, 10:28 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

6 out of 12 weeks would be even worse than 6 out of 22 weeks I guess!
Old 01 January 2006, 10:29 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I had a TVR for 7 marvellous years. It was an older car though so all the niggles had been ironed out.

I still love the marque, just not as a daily driver.

Gary
Old 01 January 2006, 10:30 AM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

In fairness I have spent a lot of time discussing the problems I am having with a number of wise people in TVR Land. Each and everyone of them has said that even though it is a TVR and they suffer from niggles, I shouldn't be having the problems I have.
Old 01 January 2006, 10:31 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Catherine,

so far I love it - I have driven two. I drove Iain's before he modified it as a test drive which was good although on unfamiliar roads and I was not used to the six speed box so kept picking the wrong gear

I have driven mine around 800 miles now on familiar roads on dry, wet and snow. I am still running it in and so am driving corners 'passively' and not pushing it hard.

So far I love it - I had an Sti V for six years that had various stages of modification for road, track and then drag. It was a great car, especially when it was in its track level of tune - really great to drive.

The Spec C, even driven reasonably passively, is far better. The chassis is superb, and suspension set up is far less harsh than previous generations and yet there is still limited roll. The steering is very sharp and the turn in phenomenal for a Subaru.

On snow even light throttle indicated a rear wheel bias - my Sti V would plough in the snow - the Spec C readily and controllably wagged it's tail in a good way.

The interior is standard Subaru - but is has a great engine, six-speed box where top is the same ratio as fifth was in my STi V, i.e. 90mph at 4,000rpm.

It has DCCD, i/c water spray, aircon (previous Spec Cs did not), even electric windows and mirrors! It has a revised suspension set up.

It also has slightly larger tyres than the JDM Sti - 235/45/17 which are the rather sexy RE070 semi-slicks (that width and no tread was great in polished snow lanes )

Try one - mine will be sorted on Jan 4th and so I can drive it properly

Indeed I will be driving from Cheltenham to Guildford in it on Wednesday

Rannoch

PS Sold a 911 993 Carrera 2 to get into this as the 911 was too slow and too dull

Last edited by Trout; 01 January 2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01 January 2006, 10:34 AM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I had a TVR for 7 marvellous years. It was an older car though so all the niggles had been ironed out.

I still love the marque, just not as a daily driver.

Gary

Well I know it might sound bizare, but the car has made an enxcellent daily driver, but anyway as I said I am getting a little hacked off to say the least and have decided to have a look at what else is available. I am not keen on spending in excess of £40K again so I am looking in the £23 - £30K bracket hence my query about the Spec C.
Old 01 January 2006, 11:49 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

As with the previous year(s) Spec C, these cars handle so well. Setup with correct geometry, suspension mods and anti-lift kit etc etc they are unbelievable (just depends how far you want to go).

As they say.... power is nothing without control, and whereas extra power is easily obtainable, the chassis/handling setup is hard to beat.

No matter what your driving style..... you would be hard pushed to get bored of one of these things!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 01 January 2006, 01:30 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

I have 235/45/17 on the 05jdm sti i own

Last edited by DIPSY; 04 January 2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01 January 2006, 03:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive owned my MY03 Spec C since new (2 years old today since first registration ) and its great fun
I'd buy a white one, they do look the dogs danglies and white is rare as scoobs go, but you need to drive one, they can tramline a touch because of the wide tyres but its the in gear power, its just great and they pull from 1.5k upwards

Tony
Old 01 January 2006, 03:52 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Interesting review mate.
Old 01 January 2006, 05:04 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Seems that the Travels Very Rarely analogy still holds true then. I had a 350i for nearly 6 years ('92 - '98) and loved it - sounded way better than the Scoob, but it did spend a fair time in the garage. I'd probably have another TVR, but only as a second car.

Simes
Old 01 January 2006, 10:34 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best thing to do Catherine is give Litchfields a ring and have a test drive I did last week and all I can say is the spec-c is awsome, Ian will be getting an order from me in the next couple of months.
Old 01 January 2006, 10:37 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DIPSY
I have 235/45/16 on the 05jdm sti i own
16's
Old 02 January 2006, 12:57 AM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

How can you not get bored of a car with 4 wheel drive?
Old 02 January 2006, 10:44 AM
kwispel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Catherine
Thanks chaps for the speedy replies. What is the general opinion of them any good?
Also drove the thing. Incredible torque. Drove Litchfield's Type 20 and it pulled much better than the standard 2.5 of the MY06 STi.

If I get another scoob when we change ours in spring, it will definitely be a Spec C.

The 2.0 is still a proper strong STi engine and seems to stand mod'ing much better than the 2.5 (feedback I got from a few tuners in UK).

You also don't get the stupid teenage blue interior of the normal STi.

Try it !

The Swede
Old 02 January 2006, 11:09 AM
STI8U
Scooby Regular

I own a MY06 Spec C Type RA, car is phenomenal both in performance and handling. Great top-end, great chassis and great suspension (Type RA has upgraded suspension over Spec C so can't really comment). Car hits almost 22psi peak boost in stock trim, and with simple upgrades, you should be able to get 350HP+

It is a noisy car, but if you're coming from a TVR I don't think that will bother you. The STI Spec C is generally regarded as the fastest factory car in Japan around a track, bar the NSX Type R (no longer available). It is even better than the JDM EVO IX RS (albeit slight)...

These cars are also very reliable - I ran a v8 JDM STI at 24psi peak boost for 2 years, 30000 miles and only had a MAF sensor fail...
Old 02 January 2006, 12:08 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Originally Posted by Cyberevo
I take it you don't know what a DCCD is then

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 02 January 2006, 12:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Cyberevo
As Shaun states, its unlike some of the "other overhyped electronically controlled" 4 wheel drive cars out there, you can put it into a manual mode where you control the car, not the other way around and its great fun

Tony
Old 02 January 2006, 03:29 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Cool

You should try something like a 4.3BV Griff for performance, sound and reliability - Probably best as a second car though - winter wouldnt be fun.. - Spend £16k on a decent one add £4k on improvements and it will be far better than a modern TVR - my opinion - had a Griff 10 yrs, but low mileage - biggest problem is that mice love it in the winter, even when on 1 metre axle stands! (45 mice inside this winter so far..)

Griff & Scoob as cost sensitive paradise - next stage would probably be 3200 Maserati and ... Griff + Cheap X or S type Jag for hangover days...

Griff and Scoob can now be done for less than £30K - cant be bad! - Trouble is, broke at the moment so STi PPP 03 had to go. - Hope to have a 370/370 Scooby by next winter..
Old 04 January 2006, 12:42 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Ok Well today I have had an email from David Hendry with some interior pictures of a car he has in stock.

I have to say it looks much better than I was expecting. He has 3 cars available, Red, Blue and Grey (I fancy either Grey or Red). I notice that their is not a radio in the car, can one be easily fitted?
Old 04 January 2006, 01:26 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Catherine,

You should find out if the car is wired for speakers or has them fitted. The old Spec Cs didn't. The standard ones are rubbish as well, so you might do as well to have the whole lot fitted. Not difficult, but may be costly depending on the head unit you choose.

Interiors can be changed too
Old 04 January 2006, 01:36 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XRS
Catherine,

You should find out if the car is wired for speakers or has them fitted. The old Spec Cs didn't. The standard ones are rubbish as well, so you might do as well to have the whole lot fitted. Not difficult, but may be costly depending on the head unit you choose.

Interiors can be changed too
I would post pictures but I don't think I can.
Old 04 January 2006, 01:45 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

The wiring is there already on the 06 Spec C. There's no point in having one sent over with one fitted from Japan, as the FM radio is different to the UK.

The speakers are up to the usual low quality mind, but who cares with a soundtrack that the flat four makes.

Quick Reply: 06 Spec C