Sponsored by:

Help required

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2005, 12:38 AM
c18rsa
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help required

Hi, I currently own a corsa but am looking at movingb onto a Scooby.

I am looking to buy one from 98 upwards
can someone tell me which models are turbos as i am getting a little bit confused and want a turbo

Thanks

Paul
Old 25 December 2005, 12:49 AM
Smeatser
Scooby Regular

Bonnet Scoop and a errr... turbo under the bonnet???
Old 25 December 2005, 12:51 AM
c18rsa
Scooby Newbie

but what model names cause some have the scoop fitted as a after market think and if im serching online sme people dont list if it has a turbo or not
Old 25 December 2005, 01:23 AM
Smeatser
Scooby Regular

Most adverts will state " WRX turbo", if it does not then the chance is it will be a non turbo. Turbos generaly look far sprtier i.e larger alloys, bonnet scoops, bucket seat style interior, sportier dash and trim, small double / large single back boxs etc....etc... when unmodified, check out www.subaru.co.uk this shows pics of typical std / turbo models.

Best of look

Kev
Old 25 December 2005, 01:24 AM
Smeatser
Scooby Regular

...best of luck even!!
Old 25 December 2005, 01:31 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

why 98 +?
Old 25 December 2005, 01:41 AM
c18rsa
Scooby Newbie

cause i been told they have the higher bhp and better handling plus bigger brakes

Trending Topics

Old 25 December 2005, 10:10 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c18rsa
cause i been told they have the higher bhp and better handling plus bigger brakes
not quite.

You would be better to state a budget mate!

Its not as easy as stating a year! There are a quite a lot of different models with different power figures! Brakes and power can also be modified on all scoobies, so i would think its best to work out what is your budget!
Old 25 December 2005, 10:26 AM
impreza22b_WRC
Scooby Regular

A lot will depend on your age as well as insurance is expensive and if your very young then they will probably not touch you with an import or qoute you a silly priced premium, like someone said above as well your budget will play a big part. If i was you i would go down to one of the local scooby meets around your area as you will get loads of different models turning up and you can chat to the people that own them and you will get a better idea.

Last edited by impreza22b_WRC; 25 December 2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old 25 December 2005, 10:47 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smeatser
Most adverts will state " WRX turbo", if it does not then the chance is it will be a non turbo. Turbos generaly look far sprtier i.e larger alloys, bonnet scoops, bucket seat style interior, sportier dash and trim, small double / large single back boxs etc....etc... when unmodified, check out www.subaru.co.uk this shows pics of typical std / turbo models.

Best of look

Kev

you need to do a few other things as well.

I presume you have checked your insurance? dont forget the impreza is in one of the highest brackets for insurance, and it sometimes catches people out. try the insurance section on this site, theres some very proffesional companys that can help you.

back to the car, if this is the car for you, theres a few to choose from, there is the sport which is the non turbo version, still a 2 litre engine and very quick. you can throw money at these and have them looking like a turbo, without the running costs and insurance, look here for some examples.

if not, them you have an option of either an import or a uk car, uk cars are generally cheaper to insure but have a lower bhp figure (standard form) but are usually more to buy.

if you go for an import you will usually get all the extras such as aircon, pas, folding mirrors as standard, plus they have the higher bhp figures, down side is they cost more to insure and do less mpg. like that matters in these cars.

the easiest way to tell between a turbo and a non turbo car is to lift the bonnet, if it dosent have an intercooler or a turbo then its a sport.

heres a picture of my engine, the intercooler is the black thing facing up towards the bonnet scoop. turbo is just to the left of the intercooler.

the all you have to decide is if you are going to go for a saloon, wagon, type r, type ra, p1, 22b, bug eye, blob eye, or just plain ugly

I hope that helps.

Merry Christmas
Old 25 December 2005, 11:26 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Also have a look at the rear brakes, non turbos will have drum rears, and many have been fitted with a scoop bonnet to look like a turbo. Have fun searching. Pre 98 cars are good as well and the brakes are a cheap upgrade so wouldnt worry about that, but buy the best you can afford
Old 26 December 2005, 11:26 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

Here's my sport - I'm waiting til Sept when i'm 25 to get the "fast un" cause of insurance. I decided against the bonnet scoop as i'm not trying to pretend it's something it's not, anyway everyone that knows about cars - especially scoobs can tell it's non turbo (and it's Cashmere )

Old 26 December 2005, 11:34 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
the sport which is the non turbo version, still a 2 litre engine and very quick.
Not really, compared to other 2.0's its vastly underpowered.
Old 26 December 2005, 11:36 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Check out http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm which will give you a run down of the differant models and power ratings, should help you decide which model is best for you.
Old 26 December 2005, 11:42 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Not really, compared to other 2.0's its vastly underpowered.
16vMarc - you're right and the insurance is still quite steep but thought i'd get used to the car before hand.