Sponsored by:

WRX SL 06 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2005, 12:45 PM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX SL 06 Test Drive

Had a go in a 2006 WRX SL Wagon this weekend, currently have a MY00 Wagon with Scorpion centre & backbox, no other mods. I’d only driven Classics before so wasn’t sure what to expect, all in all it turned out to be a lovely drive but it also made me appreciate how good my car is(apart from the trim rattles!).

The 2006 was, as you expect, roomier, quieter and build quality was better. Up to new Mondeo/Vectra levels but definitely not premium feel, stereo was as bad as ever. Anyway, onto the stuff that matters. In the go dept there seemed to be a similar amount of performance as my car overall, it came on boost smoother and earlier, had a very smooth, refined feel to it. It felt about right, going on the stats, new car having similar power, more torque but more weight to carry about. Gearbox was slicker than my car but still had a nice meaty feel to it.

Handling felt very familiar although it felt you were sat higher and there was more suspension travel, again it had a smoother more refined feel to it but not at the expense of feedback. Steering was very nice, wheel felt smaller than mine which seemed to make most of the difference.

Brakes – Nice nothing special, barely noticeably better than the standard stoppers on my car.

All in all a very nice car and has made me happy than I can replace my classic and not have to buy a slower wagon. Just got to try and get a go in a PPP’d demo or persuade Subaru to bring out an STI UK Wagon.
Old 19 December 2005, 02:04 PM
Hammoc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Husaberk
.......or persuade Subaru to bring out an STI UK Wagon.
Put me down for one of those

Assume the potential market is too narrow to make it worthwhile...BUT a nice thought.

Chris
Old 19 December 2005, 02:28 PM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

Could be mate but how would IM know? They've never even tried to sell them. I reckon a lot of Wagon owners would like a Stealth STI, mininal badging, no extra spoilers, gold wheels delete option, etc. Would fit in nicely with IM's taking Subaru upmarket strategy, lets just hope they avoid putting bits of wood in the cars.
Old 19 December 2005, 03:14 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Subaru only made a V7 (bugeye) STI wagon, and dropped em completely after that. No blobeye sti wagon.

nearest thing'll be a forester STI, which held its own better than the WRX in the EVO CotY