4 or 5 doors?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2000, 01:09 PM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I am a newbie on this forum and sorry to say I don't own a Scooby. - yet. At the moment I have a Golf GTI ( That would wip JasonM's Cav ) but in the not too distant future I can't see a car with 2 Sparco's and a Roll cage transporting Myself, The wife 2 dogs and a rugrat around too successfully!

What I was wondering is how the Wagon version of the Scooby is affected by the extra box on the back? Does it make it handle significantly differently..

You never see this mentioned in car mags?

Obviously it is not quite as pretty as the 4/2 door, IMHO, and has the distinct disadvantage of not being able to wear a WRC wing but it has got to be the more practical - god I'm sounding old - family car.

Cheers for an help,

Scott!

Old 02 October 2000, 01:19 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you want a sniff around a 4 door STi let me know, There is someone on here who has a 5 door in the Ringwood area, compare over a beer sometime maybe...your shout obviously
Old 02 October 2000, 01:36 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've got a four door MY00 saloon and my colleague has an MY98 Wagon. Got to say there isn't much in it - round the twisty bits it's a case of who is braver rather than one car finding the limits .

I guess that the Wagon is more practical if you have pets (that's the reason my colleague has the Wagon), but I don't think you would be disappointed in either.

Cheers

Chris
Old 02 October 2000, 01:58 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Scott

IMHO there is nothing in it. The difference in curb weight is negligable, the only other difference is the possibility of decreased body stiffness due to lack of rear bulkhead. If thats a problem, get a rear strutbrace. On the possitive side, increased flexibility of load carrying ability & more of a "Q" car.

PTMW! has been on-track several times & includes EVOs, Cossies & Skylines amongst it's scalp collection

Come down to Brands Hatch on 27th October, where you will be able to hitch a ride in both 4 & 5dr variants & see/feel for yourself

Here's a pic of PTMW! at play

Old 02 October 2000, 02:00 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I actually prefer the slightly wacky looks of the 5 door, plus they're a bit rarer.

Stability is slightly reduced at high speed and as you have already said there are fewer aerodynamic options to help this.

I have not noticed any significant difference in body stiffness although I have never driven a 4 door as eagerly as my wagon.

There can be more cabin noise, especially with a different exhaust, although if I'm pressing the LOUD pedal hard enough to notice I've usually got the rear windows open aswell :-). I fitted some extra sound proofing under the cargo hold carpet and this has removed most of the extra road boom.

One advantage is (comment from other scooby drivers) is that the wagon looks quicker as you don't expect it to be driven as enthusiastically as a salon (sic).

On the whole I personally think that the practical advantages outweigh the (minimal) performance disadvantages, the major difference comes in the look of the car, which is personal taste (and thickness of skin at times!)

Andrew...
Old 02 October 2000, 02:22 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Cool

Or perhaps wagons don't just look quicker...

Check out the comment by BlackScooby in:
Old 02 October 2000, 02:28 PM
Marky
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I have a 5 door WRX and a friend has a 4 door WRX (give me a call Tim), and in standard form there is no noticable difference. I also understand a 5 door was the quickest car at Santa Pod not to lond ago.
And one final point is if you park the 5 door front end first in a car park it dosn't say nick me.
Old 02 October 2000, 02:54 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Scott,

I'm another happy wagon owner. Performance wise there is nothing in it. The wagon weighs around 40kg more than the 4 door. The fastest a magazine has ever road tested a standard uk model Impreza to 60 was in a wagon at 5.03 seconds. As for handling, some magazines have said the wagon is better due to weight distribution as that 40kg is all over the back wheels. The floorpan is identical and the cars are exactly the same length, so the only differences are cosmetic as such. The wagon also doesn't have a solid rear bulkhead but a rear brace soon stiffens things up. As PTMW and Andy have said, better Q car, v.practical, slightly more noise unless you put some soundproofing in the boot and much bigger satisfaction factor when blowing away other so called performance cars!!

With regards to not being able to sport a WRC wing and the 4 door looking better, personally I much prefer the look of the meatier 5 door and you can get pretty big twin STi wings for the rear tailgate which also make it more stable at the rear at high speed. Enjoy....

regards
Nito

[This message has been edited by NITO (edited 02 October 2000).]
Old 02 October 2000, 02:56 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

works now!!

[This message has been edited by NITO (edited 02 October 2000).]
Old 02 October 2000, 03:05 PM
Scott!
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey, now I can definately see something like that sitting on my driveway!

As for the thick skin part, I already have that, I chose to buy and modify a 5 door Golf GTI and have never heard the last of it!

Just need to convince the wife that it is a worthwile purchase... must stop at the flower shop on the way home!

Cheers Guys...

Scott!
Old 02 October 2000, 03:41 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Cool

If it helps with the wife, we are on our second 5dr wagon (std uk), in 3 years and have 2yr old twins. I now have a 4dr STI as well, but the wife just will not get rid of the wagon - it fits the family easily, ultra reliable and it drives wonderfully - also it is the best q-car you can get. I do prefer the 5 dr practicality, and dont believe you lose any performance over an equivalent 4 dr.

p.s. my boys just giggle all the time when you go fast.
Old 02 October 2000, 04:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scott!:
Wagon wins hands down. I, like you have to transport 2 sprogs, my partner and our ever growning Weimaraner puppy, and so a saloon was out of the question.

I am in total agreement with the rest of the wagon owners on the points of practicality and less nickability. As someone else said, it looks, well, Funky.

If you want an alternative, well, there was an old shape M5 Touring, Audi RS2 or RS4, umm, oh yes, some weird thing called a Nissan Steagea (sp?) Which I am told has Skyline running gear and engine but with an estate body, yum!
Old 02 October 2000, 04:45 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

AndrewC,

You had your window down a qtr just so that you could "dumping" so to speak behind you.....

Just be gratefull you weren't in the flame grilled P1 !!!

hahahaha

Never knew it popped a flame.
He made my day

Marcus

Old 02 October 2000, 08:33 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

NITO, your car is lovely. Sorry 4 door owners, but that 5 door is simply beautiful. Any chance of sharing with us humble totally std UK 5 doors exactly what has been done to your car to get it to look like that?

Starting to wish I'd got silver instead of DBM now...

R
Old 02 October 2000, 08:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NITO - thats one mean looking bugger .. have you smoked the windows and how?

5-Doors as has been said can be parked 'nose-in' to a car park spot and not noticed (and not nicked)

I wanted a 4-door but needed the 5-door because of a dog ... but I must say that polished up a 5-door looks every bit as good as a 4-door and its rarer too

Others on the road also reckon on an 'estate' not being up to much until you let her go that is!!

You NEED a 5-door, man

Pete
Old 02 October 2000, 09:12 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Scott,

IMHO, the 4 dr looks nicer. When I originally ordered my scoob I ordered the 5dr coz I was attracted to the odd shape.

However, after seeing a couple of 4drs, I was convinced they looked sportier. So Iwent for DBM and gold wheels(which is another argument!).

Having said that having only 1 car, I can see the practical attractions of a 5dr - and I am sure I read somewhere a long time ago that the 5dr was aerodynamically superior.

I am sure than whichever you go for, once you turn the key and deploy your right foot the number of doors becomes imaterial.

Just drive fast and enjoy!!

Matt
Old 02 October 2000, 09:25 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Talking

And nobody has mentioned yet that you can get all 4 of your track wheels in the boot
Now that is what I call practical !!

Marcus....check out the Stagea on GT2

DJ

[This message has been edited by DocJock (edited 02 October 2000).]
Old 02 October 2000, 09:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

However, after seeing a couple of 4drs, I was convinced they looked sportier. So Iwent for DBM and gold wheels(which is another argument!).

Gold wheels??? I thought Subaru had dropped that option as it looked tacky?? surely no-one gets those out of choice?? well all to thier own I suppose??

Pete

Old 02 October 2000, 09:42 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

I've a theory that the depreciation on the 5 door will now be less than the 4 door. The MY01 might be able to made to look a little beefier but the 5 door, no way. Not sure on if we're even getting a 5 door turbo in the UK.
Old 02 October 2000, 11:08 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks Rob/Pete,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by robman:
Any chance of sharing with us humble totally std UK 5 doors exactly what has been done to your car to get it to look like that?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Externally all you have to do is colour code the side/rear skirts/mirrors add the STi three piece front spoiler, twin STi rear spoilers, rear light clusters/side repeaters/front indicators smoked out by Subaru dealer Lancasters in black but properly done so that they are glossy instead of matt, and widows tinted by Pentagon Auto Tints in London. Prodrive lowered/uprated suspension and 18" Compomotive split rims, Subaru wind deflectors e voila!!

Regards,
Nito
Old 02 October 2000, 11:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Well whatever, its a credit to you my man

Did you spray paint the side skirts and how??

I have a MY00 so the wing mirrors are already coded

You seem to have a bigger top spoiler too???

Pete
Old 03 October 2000, 12:25 AM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I've got a 5 door, and prefer it to the 4 door....As I understand it the power distribution is the major difference between the two,with the 4 door being 50/50 and the 5 door being 40/60 front rear split.
Apparently there are slightly different rear spring/dampers in the 5 door to accomodate it's extra load carrying abilities(so dealer recons!)
As far as practicalities....superb...just been on hols to france with 5 up full rear end no roof box....it's amazing what you can get in the back! and it still performs!.....the brakes get a little hammered though!!!
Old 03 October 2000, 08:02 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Pete,

What's wrong with gold wheels eh ?
I thought they looked rather snazzy on my Mica Black met 4dr.

But then again people have always said I'm behind the times on the style front

But I do dream of a set of P1 18" Titanium colored alloys...............mmmmmmmm....

As you say each to their own

Mark.
Old 03 October 2000, 10:33 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I dream of a set of nice 17inch Chrome effect alloys, which I'm told are done by Formula One Accesories, apparently they are seven spokers, and the chrome effect has a gold twist to it.

Anyone seen any of these or have a picture?

Black wagon would look cool with these, or am I really sad? (don't all shout at once!)
Old 03 October 2000, 10:43 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Scott,

Not really on the subject, but this is the first time I've looked at this thread. Good to have another person on here from the local area!!

Have to arrange a meet sometime - there must be quite a few of uas around here now!

Kelvin.
Old 03 October 2000, 10:53 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Often wondered about having my Gold Speedline alloys re-done in a "graphite gray" color.

Once saw a Scooby at Harewood hillclimb with dark gray alloys ~ it look excellent. Complete stealth machine

Old 03 October 2000, 04:25 PM
Hogster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Scott,

With two dogs and a rugrat it has got to be the wagon.
Had mine for six months now and it has been smiles all the way. We have a dog and two kids and the wagon is essential transport. Trouble is I am not sure if the dog enjoys being thrown about in the back!! Recommend getting the Subaru plastic tray that fits onto the floor of the estate part to keep the lovely velour clean. Also recommend a scratch plate that fits on the rear bumper keeps those nasty dog claws off the rear paint work especially if you are getting DBM, which does scratch easily.
The wagons are definitely a rare sight only two on the last northern meet.
Enjoy whichever Scooby you get, just get one!!

Simon
Old 03 October 2000, 07:10 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hogster: I must have been the other one then! (red MY96)

I needed the practicality of the 5 door and it does seem to be a bit less 'attractive'- to the car thieves at least. Other drivers are usually shocked at such performance from an 'estate' car though.

I have not yet suceeded in filling up the cavernous rear end - but it does benefit from additional sound proofing! (Soon to be defeated by my new backbox )

Can't wait for the RAC - that's when the 5 door practicailty will really be usefull!

Chris
Old 03 October 2000, 09:08 PM
Hag
Scooby Newbie

Scott

I'm in the process of selling mine if you are interested...
May 99 (T) Silver 5 door,15k miles

Selling it 'cos I've just got a new house and the mortgage is killing me!

G.
Old 03 October 2000, 11:32 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Crusher,

Intersted in your post.

I have heard heard a few claims that the Wagon handles better than the 4 door, which has always seemed a bit unlikely, but you could put it down to better weight distribution.

But if it's putting more power to the back wheels maybe that explains it.

I know that I never have any understeer on my (standard suspension-wise) Wagon. If I overcook it a bit the back steps out, but as long as you keep the power on it goes where you want it to.

I have been a bit mystified by recent posts about Scoobs understeering - mine doesn't.

Any views on this?

Cheers

Simon

Quick Reply: 4 or 5 doors?