Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru should name a car after Richard Burns.

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2005, 01:19 AM
impreza22b_WRC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru should name a car after Richard Burns.

Im not sure if anyone has mentioned this before but in my oppinion Subaru should name one of its impreza models after Richard Burns as a limited edition as it would be a fitting tribute from the company, Subaru previously had the McRae Impreza and Mitsubishi had the Makinen Evo 6 so i think this would be a great way to remembr Richard. He did so much for the sport of rallying in this country and worldwide and it would be great to see his name attached to the Impreza which he helped to establish. RIP Richard.
Old 14 December 2005, 01:23 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Errmmmmm.....RB5 anyone?
Old 14 December 2005, 01:40 AM
impreza22b_WRC
Scooby Regular

I probably worded the above wrong, we know the RB5 was named after him but something more of a tribute to his life like naming the car the "Impreza Richard Burns WRC" or the "Richard Burns 2006 WRC" where the car would be rallied and the name of the car would be associated worldwide as a recognition to his life and to have the wording underneath the badging "1971-2005" dedicated to a champion.

Last edited by impreza22b_WRC; 14 December 2005 at 01:42 AM.
Old 14 December 2005, 01:44 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Ah you mean name one of the WRC cars after him? Nice idea mate, not sure renaming the car is something they'd do but it would be nice to see some sort of decal on the car somewhere in honour of Burnsie - a bit like what the top teams did in memory of Michael Park after Rally GB this year.

Good idea matey
Old 14 December 2005, 02:18 AM
impreza22b_WRC
Scooby Regular

Yes, i was actually meaning going down the possible route of naming one of the Prodrive WRC models in his memory, Prodrive could also possibly do a limited run of a road car version similar to what they did with the P1 as a lasting trubute to Richard Burns... Ive put a couple of possible badge ideas below.

Old 14 December 2005, 02:28 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

I like the top one mate, wouldn't mind one of those in sticker form for my car actually
Old 14 December 2005, 09:30 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Decals look good matey,have you thought of knocking them up,selling them and donating the money to cancer research,as the RB5 owners club are doing something along the same lines,im sure a graphics company somewhere out there would help out,after all its for a bloody good cause

Trending Topics

Old 14 December 2005, 10:27 AM
impreza22b_WRC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
Decals look good matey,have you thought of knocking them up,selling them and donating the money to cancer research,as the RB5 owners club are doing something along the same lines,im sure a graphics company somewhere out there would help out,after all its for a bloody good cause
I am working on a Richard Burns tribute type desktop image that could also be used as a print or poster and the quality should be good as i`m taking my time with it as i want it to be right and fitting to his memory, you can do any style badge you like really so if anybody has any suggestions for one that you may want to raise some money with then it would be a pleasure to do some. Here is another one below.

Last edited by impreza22b_WRC; 14 December 2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 14 December 2005, 11:41 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by impreza22b_WRC

Now that one lOOks good.
Old 14 December 2005, 01:02 PM
filfy
Scooby Regular

This is a good idea im now going to D-badge my boot and put it on
Old 14 December 2005, 05:32 PM
Pete Warburton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Now that one lOOks good.

That looks good mate.
Old 14 December 2005, 06:22 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Talking

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
Errmmmmm.....RB5 anyone?
LOL indeedy!
Old 14 December 2005, 07:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, Richard Burns was a great figure for Subaru and he was taken from the world too young and too soon.

I feel for his family and friends .......................... we have the RB5 and that, as far as I think, is where it should end.

I may get flamed for speaking the truth, but here we go ....... those who wish to idolize someone who they never knew NEED to get some REAL friends for themselves - move on and stop hanging onto the shirt tails of those who have achieved in their lives!!

Pete
Old 15 December 2005, 12:15 AM
impreza22b_WRC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Now, Richard Burns was a great figure for Subaru and he was taken from the world too young and too soon.

I feel for his family and friends .......................... we have the RB5 and that, as far as I think, is where it should end.

I may get flamed for speaking the truth, but here we go ....... those who wish to idolize someone who they never knew NEED to get some REAL friends for themselves - move on and stop hanging onto the shirt tails of those who have achieved in their lives!!

Pete
I have never seen such dross like the above posted on here for a long time, who exactly are you Pete to prejudge someone when you don`t even know the people that are posting as they may well have known Richard Burns personally or may have had the pleasure to meet him. So your basically saying that all those Manchester United fans were just hanging onto George Bests shirt tail because they have never achieved anything in life themselves ? George Best was idolised and he had just as many tributes while he was still alive as he did when he passed away and many of those people were successful businessmen who just wanted to say thanks for the pleasure he gave them. Richard Burns as a driver was the most successful englishman in the sport in becoming the first englishman to win the drivers title, oppinions like yours when saying people are hanging onto Richard Burns`s shirtail because he was successful is one of the most childish things ive seen on any form for a long while .
Old 15 December 2005, 01:13 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

pete,

i think that last post was a bit out of line mate, hitting alot of nerves there.

Me personly, never had the pleasure of meeting the guy, but, i do feel it was a sad loss for many. Lets face it, the only reason he was popular was the fan base and following he had.

Sure, he was good at what he did, the best ther was at one point, but like most sports heros, there nothing with out the fans.

John
Old 15 December 2005, 10:57 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Pete
oh dear, think you need to talk to someone
Old 15 December 2005, 12:32 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Burns' time at Subaru is remembered by the RB5. When he was taken ill he was under contract to Peugeot, why would Subaru want to make a another limted editon in his name? Beef was with Subaru for a season too, should they do one for him too?

I don't remember calls for a 'Lovell' or a Bourne'.

How many of you would chop your cars in to buy a 'Burns'?

If you want to do something worthwhile, why not make a donation to charity?
Old 15 December 2005, 12:50 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

already made my donation, its one of the few i do donate to.

its affect a few poeple close to me, and like i have said before, its a shame it took his death to make people realise, but what you must also reaslise is that there are thousands of people who will suffer the same fate.

not a nice thought really

john
Old 15 December 2005, 01:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chippy17
oh dear, think you need to talk to someone
On the contrary ..... I am NOT the one who needs to address their mental health.

I thought, long and hard, before I posted on this thread ...... anyone who knows me, whatever they think of me, know that I will state my opinion on something I feel strongly about.

I have never followed the crowd simply because it's more comfortable that way - I cut my own furrow.

I really do think they is something wrong with those who cannot let their idols go peacefully and remember them in their thoughts ........... to make up stickers and ask for a special edition car is very, very sad and displays a lack of real-life friendships.

People die every day, children die in agony, the old say goobye to a world they have known for a long time, people are told that their loved one has been killed .............. life is **** sometimes!!

Remember Burns, watch his videos, smile at his success, feel for his family (thats what I do!) .... but it is unhealthy to cling onto death like you do - grow up, get out, meet people and live life.

Pete
Old 15 December 2005, 03:36 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

On the contrary ..... I am NOT the one who needs to address their mental health.

I thought, long and hard, before I posted on this thread ...... anyone who knows me, whatever they think of me, know that I will state my opinion on something I feel strongly about.

I have never followed the crowd simply because it's more comfortable that way - I cut my own furrow.

I really do think they is something wrong with those who cannot let their idols go peacefully and remember them in their thoughts ........... to make up stickers and ask for a special edition car is very, very sad and displays a lack of real-life friendships.

People die every day, children die in agony, the old say goobye to a world they have known for a long time, people are told that their loved one has been killed .............. life is **** sometimes!!

Remember Burns, watch his videos, smile at his success, feel for his family (thats what I do!) .... but it is unhealthy to cling onto death like you do - grow up, get out, meet people and live life.

Pete
you do get wound up very easily...bait taken...some of what you have said makes good sense but can you not let people show their respect in their own way, I do not feel the need to put a sticker on my car but that does not mean I think people are pathetic if they do...
Old 15 December 2005, 04:14 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

........... to make up stickers and ask for a special edition car is very, very sad and displays a lack of real-life friendships.

Pete
Stickers have been made, and proceeds have been donated to cancer research, by caring and thoughtful people. (makers and buyers)

These kind of people invariably have more 'real-life friendships' than people who spend half of there waking time on BBS's winding up people.

A bit far this time Pete
Old 15 December 2005, 07:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1mark
A bit far this time Pete
Don't think so ............. it needed to be said.

I give to my charity - the NSPCC - I do NOT need a sticker, a badge, a flower .... just knowing that I give is enough ... I am secure in that.

Like has been said .. many have died, how do you decide which is worthy of a 'sticker' - sorry, I find it amazing how some people need to cling to the dead heroes.

Think whatever you think of me .... grown up people do not idolize another grown up person - its not healthy! Thats all I'm saying.

Pete
Old 15 December 2005, 08:07 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

A lot of what Pete said makes sense, as has already been said the RB5 commemorated Richard Burns' success and achievement. Theres no need for Subaru to release another car be it as a tribute or another commemorative car, as im sure many would see it as a cash in for Subaru and would cheapen the memory of a World Champion. If people feel having a sticker with his name on makes them feel better than fair enough, and if people feel strongly enough to donate to charity then fair play to them.

Just my opinion.
Old 15 December 2005, 08:09 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Don't think so ............. it needed to be said.

I give to my charity - the NSPCC - I do NOT need a sticker, a badge, a flower .... just knowing that I give is enough ... I am secure in that.

Like has been said .. many have died, how do you decide which is worthy of a 'sticker' - sorry, I find it amazing how some people need to cling to the dead heroes.

Think whatever you think of me .... grown up people do not idolize another grown up person - its not healthy! Thats all I'm saying.

Pete
It did not need to be said. There is only one person crass enough on here to say such a thing.

If you are secure in just knowing, why even the need to tell thousands of people you give to charity, and to whom?

No-one is idolising, its called remembering and giving. IIRC Richard Burns' family asked for donations to cancer research. A fine cause i'm sure you will agree and people should not be admonished for giving either time or money to it. I agree idolising is a schoolgirl/boyband thing and a bit unhealthy in an adult.

You keep continually mis-spelling idolise as well. Is that not a bit chavish, poor spelling etc.
Old 15 December 2005, 08:13 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Marc, i hear what you say and agree. i just think its pi$$ poor for Pete to have a go at people who make stickers, and who buy them knowing that the money is for charitable causes.
Old 15 December 2005, 08:28 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Pete, do you wear a poppy on rememberance Sunday?? I do..to remember all those who gave their lives for us I also wear a sticker on my car to remember another great person who dedicated their life to motorsport, not the same comparison but if you want to remember something and show it then let these people do it their own way, regardless if you think its all an over-reaction or not just let people have their say.
Old 15 December 2005, 10:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm in YPRES, Belgium tomorrow, to commemorate those who died fighting for our freedom.

And yes I will wear my poppy with pride ............ but, forgive me if I'm wrong, I didn't think that a life was given for the freedom of another in this case?

I'm going to put this to rest now - suffice to say that you don't need to make a sticker, or to buy a sticker, to give to a charity of your choice - just GIVE!

I suppose if you feel better driving around with a name on the side of your car, because it somehow makes you feel better about yourself - then OK.

I just don't get it myself, thats all - as you grow older you will realise whats important, and what isn't ..... what to mourn, for how long, and when to move on in life .......................... some of you need to move on now!

Pete
Old 16 December 2005, 01:59 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Pete,

you have such an interesting view of the world.

Not all those who died on the battlefield did so for noble causes - many thousands of deaths in history are the result of political whim.

And yet the courage of some like Richard Burns or Lance Armstrong may inspire many an individual to live a greater life, choose life over Playstation or Sky Football, a bag of Doritos and a takeaway pizza. And if they do inspire even one person to make such a choice then they it is worth remembering. Maybe that one person will go out and inspire others, maybe their courage will save a child from homelessness or save another from a heart disease because they were inspired to live an active life, or another from cancer because they were more aware of the early signs.

You see you can count how many seeds there are in an apple - you cannot count how many apples are in a seed. And if the death of someone famous inpsires a seed to grow then who are you to condemn them?

Honour comes in many forms for many people. Even you.

Rannoch
Old 16 December 2005, 10:33 AM
Scrappy9
Scooby Regular

If people would like a sticker or a badge what possible harm can it do.

If that sticker or badge raises the profile of that charity then leads to someone else asking about it, which leads to further donations why should that be a problem?

Stickers arent for me, but I like that they result in charitable donations.

Far to many people are so self absorbed and only think of themselves, its nice to see people thinking of others.

Some people seem to like to voice their opinions and sit in judgement.

And then being secure in giving to their charities, feel the need to tell everyone. Are we supposed to feel that gives some sort of weight to such ill thought out statements?
Old 04 November 2006, 06:38 PM
benrb5
Scooby Regular

I am NOT the one who needs to grow up, get out, meet people and live life.

Pete
Coming from the man who has 18,760 posts! Thats a whole lot of time sat on your own in front of your PC......Its unlike me to have a rant on forums, but you often need to keep your comments to yourself. You offend lots of people with your outspoken attitude and think you need to get out and meet some friends....oppinionated ****!

Quick Reply: Subaru should name a car after Richard Burns.