Sponsored by:

Anybody Road tested UK 06 Sti ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2005, 08:47 PM
Grahamwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Road tested UK 06 Sti ?

As above, undecided wether to go for PPP 05 or 06 standard and maybe PPP later. Do like the look and extra equipment of the 06, but is it better than the 05 ?

Graham
Old 13 December 2005, 08:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

06 STI is awesome. Improvements over the 05 that are really noticed are the 2.5 engine and the nicer spacing of gear ratios with a slicker shift. More subtle changes are that the DCCD has extra sensors and a more even front-rear torque bias. Litchfield does the 06 STI 23K OTR with Cat 1 and RAC Trackstar. Need to check the locking wheel nuts, otherwise just a £4k saving over dealer price.
Old 13 December 2005, 08:54 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

I had a quick look in a MY06 WRX and it looked exactly the same as my MY05 WRX ..... the outside obviously has the new grill and it has a 2.5L engine but other than that I thought they are basically the same ?
Old 13 December 2005, 09:15 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John57
I had a quick look in a MY06 WRX and it looked exactly the same as my MY05 WRX ..... the outside obviously has the new grill and it has a 2.5L engine but other than that I thought they are basically the same ?
So you mean other than the looks and the engine they are pretty much the same
Old 13 December 2005, 09:33 PM
Grahamwrx
Scooby Regular

So John would you say that the 06 as standard is up there with an 05 sti PPP in real world driveability as the 05 was critised a lot in standard form. My only experince is my own 02 WRX so should i expect a big improvement with an 06 sti ?
Old 13 December 2005, 09:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Driveability is good in standard form. It misses a real kick from the turbo which is only a remap away.
Old 14 December 2005, 10:54 AM
Dave Duncan
Scooby Newbie

Original question was whether anyone road tested a MY06 UK STi.--Suggest you have a look at Autocar's road test on this model---they reckon a backword step for Subaru with the suspension coming in for particular criticism.
Auto Express have also compared latest version against some competitors and in fact placed the Subaru in last place!---similar criticisms to Autocar.

So, for anyone considering a new STi, it may be better to go for the JDM version which retains the 2.0L engine but with variable valve timing and twin scroll turbo and in general better standard equipment and 300BHP+ without the need for a remap( if bought thru' Litchfield's who map for UK fuel of choice).

Just a thought from a Classic owner who has followed Subaru's MY annual changes which have done nothing for residuals/looks/standard of interior, not to mention that STi engine has not been an option on the 5-door for some years--although JDM Foresters seem to be getting better in all aspects.

Dave.
Old 14 December 2005, 11:01 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dave Duncan
Original question was whether anyone road tested a MY06 UK STi.--Suggest you have a look at Autocar's road test on this model---they reckon a backword step for Subaru with the suspension coming in for particular criticism.
Auto Express have also compared latest version against some competitors and in fact placed the Subaru in last place!---similar criticisms to Autocar.

So, for anyone considering a new STi, it may be better to go for the JDM version which retains the 2.0L engine but with variable valve timing and twin scroll turbo and in general better standard equipment and 300BHP+ without the need for a remap( if bought thru' Litchfield's who map for UK fuel of choice).

Just a thought from a Classic owner who has followed Subaru's MY annual changes which have done nothing for residuals/looks/standard of interior, not to mention that STi engine has not been an option on the 5-door for some years--although JDM Foresters seem to be getting better in all aspects.

Dave.
I don't really place a lot of stock on what Autocar says. They just seem to jump on bandwagons and make rather inaccurate statements and dubious conclusions!

Much more revealing is the reviews in Evo where the reviewer said that his drive in the 06 STi was "the best he'd ever had on x route"

NS04
Old 14 December 2005, 11:02 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Duncan

Dave.
but then evo mag gave it 4 1/2 out of 5!

Fit a set of prodrive springs and your sorted anyway!
Old 14 December 2005, 11:44 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't do anything with the suspension if I bought one. It felt fabulous.
Old 14 December 2005, 11:58 AM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

To be fair to the UK STI & Autocar I think that particular Crystal Grey press car is not a great example. It was here with another magazine and it is not as good as others I've driven.

The UK STI is a really nice car, the nice thing is that there is an Impreza to suit most customers driving style and pockets

Iain
Old 14 December 2005, 12:28 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by LitchfieldImports
To be fair to the UK STI & Autocar I think that particular Crystal Grey press car is not a great example. It was here with another magazine and it is not as good as others I've driven.

Iain
Those press examples must have a VERY hard life. If I had a penny for everyime I've read a review of a new car that said that the press example they received had only a couple of hundred miles on it and was very tight then goes on to performance test the car or take it on a track!!

NS04
Old 14 December 2005, 01:40 PM
killa
Scooby Regular

Does the 06 still retain the subaru exhaust note, or have they gone for equal headers?
Old 14 December 2005, 03:08 PM
CaptainJohn
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last saturday I test drove an 06MY STi and an 06MY WRX back to back at Stan Palmers in Carlisle whilst on a hunt for a new car in March 06. I went out with Mike Griffiths in the 2.5 STi first and was very impressed by the torque of the bigger engine over the 2.0 , much more responsive throughout in every gear . The six speed box was good and the brakes were awesome , handling and interior much as you would expect although I don`t know how good those semi-slick Bridgestones would be in snow and ice?. On returning to the garage I was given the keys to a lovely crystal grey WRX to go out in on our own to have a play with . The engine felt just as responsive and powerful as in the STi , no appreciable difference , although I didn`t get a chance to give either any serious real big licks so I suppose thats when you would notice the difference in the two. WRX brakes not as good as the STi with some fade in evidence , 5 speed box very good with perhaps slightly better gearing for everyday driving ? and handling and interior identical. I really like the Crystal Grey paintjob. For me the WRX is a superb car and an absolute bargain at that , especially when you can pick one up for £17K brand new from UK sources with all the warranty you need at Virgin Cars or the like . I am tempted to buy a WRX in crystal grey with the 18" anthracite wheels and Prodrive spoiler and then wait until its run in and get a PPP and Prodrive brakes fitted. Makes more sense allround than the STi methinks. I live out in the wilds of the Lake District and those horrible gold wheels with RE050 Bridgestones really put me off but to be honest I can`t make my mind up what to do. I had a run in a new VW R32 before the Scoobys at H & H in Carlisle and what a disappointment that was ,DSG = Dog **** Gearbox , so it`ll definitely be an 06MY scooby for me the 2.5 litre boxer is a great engine , but which one thats the problem?. Head says WRX , Rest of me doesn`t know . However I do know both scoobys put a huge smile on my face while driving them and thats what its all about . Not too many cars on the road nowadays you can say that about and the mod. options are endless too for even bigger smiles.
Old 14 December 2005, 05:06 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
I wouldn't do anything with the suspension if I bought one. It felt fabulous.
I agree with John.

At first the car felt soft compared to my 02 PPP STi, but after a few more days driving, it's a much better drive, very solid.

The 2.5 and the gearbox is very good, mine's just gone past the bed in period, I've noticed that you don't need to use all the revs like the '02 to make progress.

6th Gear is a great motorway munching gear, plenty of low down torque to stay in 6th instead of dropping down for overtakes.

STiMAN