Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2005, 04:52 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Persecuted by the police?

Bit of a long one....

I got interrogated by the old bill at the weekend in my Scoob in Lancaster regarding my exhaust. Gave me a 14 day wonder to get my car to an MOT test centre and get them to check the sound levels. First time I’ve been pulled in 2 years of Scoob ownership! Never mind, it had to happen at sometime I suppose.

Anyway, one the officers explained that the reason they pulled me was down to the fact that and I quote:

"We are currently persecuting bikers that up rate their exhausts similar to what you've done, they do it for the sound and performance. Yours is obviously an aftermarket exhaust and therefore shouldn’t be on."

Eh? That’s not good coming from them, surely they can tell the difference between a bike and a car?

I then told them that I have in fact declared it as a performance upgrade with my insurers and I’m paying an extra £100 for the privilege, to which he replied "Oh, so you have declared it then? Good." Anyway, he then goes on to tell me that "we're no experts and we aren’t saying its illegal and you might not have to get a new exhaust, but its an aftermarket exhaust so it will increase performance by flowing more gas, so it shouldn’t be on".

The other officer then wanted to know where I was born and when I told him I was originally born in Canada (bear in mind I've lived in the UK for 29 years... since I was 1), he was like "Oh, so you have dual nationality then?", "yep" then started to question where I’m living at the moment like I’m some illegal immigrant... quite funny really. After that, they go and have nosey round the car and spotted my new up pipe on the back seat... "What’s that bit of manifold doing in your car??" I didn’t realise that was a crime, so I just told them why I'd got it . Then one of them says... "You look familiar, what do you do for a living?", Its my fault I know..... I was wearing a hooded snowboarding top because it was a bit chilly out but they probably thought I was up to no good..
I replied "I own a recruitment agency".. "Oh right, where do you do that then".. "Manchester"... "Must just see you out round town on a Friday night on the pi55 then "... "Err, I haven’t been out in Lancaster for about 2 months"...

All of a sudden, another Scoob rumbles past... "Right, he's going to get pulled in a minute..."

Great stuff!!!

Last edited by Jay_bee; 13 December 2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 13 December 2005, 08:07 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Just take a minute and re-read the thread.
They are TRAFFIC police, and as such they are doing their job. LOL
Whether we like it or not, (not actually) that is besides the point. Everyone seems to miss the point that it is the traffic police who pull us over, not the CID nor any other criminal department that is spending all thier time trying to catch criminals. (yeah right).

This does not mean i agree with how or why Jay_bee was pulled over, all it means is i laugh when i keep reading this same bull**** quote,
"You didnt actually think they would be out catching real criminals do you"
Like i say, traffic cops do just that, they cover the criminal side of the traffic, amongst other things.
I suppose you would slag em off if they came to your aid if you were involved in a bad RTA then would you? Would you say then they should be out catching criminals? No, i think not. But it would be the same traffic cops then.

IMHO, being pulled for what you were Jay_bee is bull****, but hey, i love the way they say "persecute" bikers, LOL. how nice of them.

I dont agree with the reasoning there, but i do have a lot of respect for traffic cops, and any other cops for that matter. Just my opinion of course

Last edited by IanW; 13 December 2005 at 10:46 PM.
Old 13 December 2005, 08:10 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

In my experience, traffic coppers don't actually seem to very much about the actual regulations they're supposed to enforce - not surprising as they are not MOT testers and I doubt they've been given the full Construction & Use regs to read through at bedtime. Unfortunately they make it worse by trying to pull the wool over your eyes about what's allowed and not allowed when they stop you. I've been told all kinds of crazy made-up stuff by coppers when checking over my car e.g. LED taillights were not allowed because they were too bright compared to my indicator, that a reg with a 2-digit number at the beginning needs more spacing in the middle etc. That know-all approach works on a 17 year old with LED washer jets and an illegal number plate font, but doesn't work on an experienced motorist driving a performance car with performance mods all declared and insured. Good rule of thumb is: if it's insurable, it's legal.

Luckily we can still do pretty much what we want to our cars over here as long as it's not endangering the public and we can afford the insurance premium, unlike in Germany where every mod has to have tUV approval. Although you might say they've got the right idea over there - you've never seen a Merc pounding down the autobahn with a set of plastic 'spinner' wheel trims or a Nova on 19s looking like a roller skate cos its owner was too cheap to lower the thing properly at the same time...
Old 13 December 2005, 08:50 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Took 6 minutes for you to defend your fellow Scooby driver then.........Or is it one rule just for you

Last edited by IanW; 13 December 2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 13 December 2005, 09:09 PM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

I got pulled for what i was told was a spot check!!!!

Copper: 'Is this your car sir?'
Me: 'Yep, do you like it'
Copper: Gave me a funny look then started giving me the usual, name, addy etc etc etc.........
Me: 'Look mate, i know i have got a nice car and all that but if you wanna drive of it all you have got to do is ask'
Copper: 'Carry on sir, that's bound to get you knicked'

Obviously had a lobotomy during training, or was bullied at school.....
Old 13 December 2005, 09:33 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Just take a minute and re-read the thread.
They are TRAFFIC police, and as such they are doing their job. LOL
Whether we like it or not, (not actually) that is besides the point. Everyone seems to miss the point that it is the traffic police who pull us over, not the CID nor any other criminal department that is spending all thier time trying to catch criminals. (yeah right).

This does not mean i agree with how or why Jay_bee was pulled over, all it means is i laugh when i keep reading this same bull**** quote,
"You didnt actually think they would be out catching real criminals do you"
Like i say, traffic cops do just that, they cover the criminal side of the traffic, amongst other things.
I suppose you would slag em off if they came to your aid if you were involved in a bad RTA then would you? Would you say then they should be out catching criminals? No, i think not. But it would be the same traffic cops then.

IMHO, being pulled for what you were Jay_bee is bull****, but hey, i love the way they say "persecute" bikers, LOL. how nice of them.

I dont agree with the reasoning there, but i do have a lot of respect for traffic cops, and any other cops for that matter. Just my opinion of course

totaly disagree with everything you have said mate, sorry.

But, to this date, i have had to suffer 7, YES, 7 court apperances, for various traffic offences since july 2002

Funny that, thats when i bought my first classic. 2 days of ownership at the age of 21, i must add, no stickers, no stupid lights sounds and not even a baseball cap in sight, i got stopped.

Fair play, new car in the local area, lets see who it is?

"Out of the car now" first corrospondance with a PC Brown.

Nice eh, good day to you as well pig, is what my reply should have been.

Anyway, after about 20 mins of all the questions, he told me he will catch me, funding a car at that age cant be entierly legal, (like its a Ferrari or something). He also vowed that in 12 months he would have my licence off me. So we were well off on the right foot there then you might say.

So, 7 times in front of the magistrates, how many times have i been convicted, none. I have no penalty points, nor have i ever had any.

In the 7 times i have been to court, once was i only found not guilty, the other 6, there was NO CASE TO ANSWER. the last one, 11 police witnesses and video footage which they produce i might add, and it was the cctv tape that proved my innocence yet again. If anyone would like to host it, i have it on VHS, it makes interesting viewing.

Making a stance for your rights, they take as a disrespect to them, the usual stinking copper attitude.

these have been a mixture of normal patrol and traffic cops in the derwentside area. I have 2 outstanding cases of harassment, 4 complaints to the local chief inspector. For my troubles i have 63 HORT 1's, enough to wipe all the ar**holes in consett police station for a month.

Fabricating evidence to get some half arsed conviction on me, im absolutly certain that there time could be better spent doing other things, only a fool could not agree with me there.

They lie, cheat decieve, god knows whatever else, and TBH, the last person i want to see is a copper if and when i ever crash.

I would far rather see a paramedic if its that bad

John (jesus, you hit a nerve there mate)
Old 13 December 2005, 10:06 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

It'd be good if the traffic police actually pulled people for bad driving etc., maybe just to have a quick word about their behaviour and let them know about lane discipline, indicating, rear fog lights (easy...), obstructing traffic flow due to driving too slowly, tailgating etc. etc.
Old 14 December 2005, 01:28 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

There are ********* in every walk of life. Unfortunately ********* in the Police force are better able to make their presence known to us.....

Simon
Old 14 December 2005, 02:45 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Nick Read
Good rule of thumb is: if it's insurable, it's legal.
That may sound good - however my illusion is that it is not technically correct.

Many Scoobs are insured with declared 'decat' downpipes. In the event of a big incident an insurer could declare the car as not being road legal and therefore void the insurance. A number of insurers did threaten this a couple of years ago.

Accepting a modification for underwriting purposes is one thing - however your insurance terms will also put the onus on you to ensure that the car you drive under their insurance is also road legal. Loud exhausts and illegal emmisions could easily nullify both.

Indeed my last Scoob produced over 130db at Prosport on full boost at 5,000rpm and so in no way could be acceptably road legal. All the Insurer was aware of was that I had an aftermarket exhaust. Fortunately I never needed to call on the insurance - but if I had it could have been tricky.

Being an old fart all that is behind me now of course.

Rannoch
Old 14 December 2005, 07:58 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION

But, to this date, i have had to suffer 7, YES, 7 court apperances, for various traffic offences since july 2002

Funny that, thats when i bought my first classic. 2 days of ownership at the age of 21, i must add, no stickers, no stupid lights sounds and not even a baseball cap in sight, i got stopped.

Anyway, after about 20 mins of all the questions, he told me he will catch me, funding a car at that age cant be entierly legal, (like its a Ferrari or something). He also vowed that in 12 months he would have my licence off me. So we were well off on the right foot there then you might say.

So, 7 times in front of the magistrates, how many times have i been convicted, none. I have no penalty points, nor have i ever had any.

In the 7 times i have been to court, once was i only found not guilty, the other 6, there was NO CASE TO ANSWER. the last one, 11 police witnesses and video footage which they produce i might add, and it was the cctv tape that proved my innocence yet again. If anyone would like to host it, i have it on VHS, it makes interesting viewing.

Making a stance for your rights, they take as a disrespect to them, the usual stinking copper attitude.

these have been a mixture of normal patrol and traffic cops in the derwentside area. I have 2 outstanding cases of harassment, 4 complaints to the local chief inspector. For my troubles i have 63 HORT 1's, enough to wipe all the ar**holes in consett police station for a month.

Fabricating evidence to get some half arsed conviction on me, im absolutly certain that there time could be better spent doing other things, only a fool could not agree with me there.

They lie, cheat decieve, god knows whatever else, and TBH, the last person i want to see is a copper if and when i ever crash.

Well i can see why you have reason to be pissed off!
That is one long list of nasty events. I dont really know what to say to that!
Like yourself i can only comment on experiences i know of, and i have never come across that from my circle of friends.
But then again, i am an old git (36) in a scoob! lol.
I never had enough money to get anything decent car wise at 21!
Old 14 December 2005, 08:03 AM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
It'd be good if the traffic police actually pulled people for bad driving etc., maybe just to have a quick word about their behaviour and let them know about lane discipline, indicating, rear fog lights (easy...), obstructing traffic flow due to driving too slowly, tailgating etc. etc.
If they did this they'd spend all day pulling each other over!! I've seen so many cases of poor, even dangerous, Police driving over the last year my respect for the traffic cops in this area is at an all time low. So far I've seen multiple counts of; failure to indicate at roundabouts and junctions, changing lanes without warning - some causing other motorists to take avoiding action, random speed changes - some causing what they class as obstruction, speeding in 30 and 70 limits, under-taking and tail-gating. None of this done in emergency situations.

Maybe it's just the standard of training that's slipped but Northants must have some of the worst police drivers in the UK at the moment. If you follow one for more than a couple of miles you'll see a poor example of driving technique. It never used to be like this. Ony 5 years ago you could follow one for miles and see text book IAM style motoring. Not any more!

Now I'm not perfect, very far from it, but I don't wear a uniform and am not expected to demonstrate the standard by which all other motorists are judged. I know we have people from all walks of life on here, and probably a few traffic cops. If any of you read this, could you comment please?
Old 14 December 2005, 09:14 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

I live around lancaster and have an aftermarket decat system which is a tad on the burbly side, I shall try and creep around silently for a while. I suspect it was just an excuse to stop you for the usual drink-driving checks they do this time of year, but let us know how you go on with the exhaust/noise issue - I'd be interrested.

My only brush with the law so far since owning my scooby is a cpl of coppers doing a sweep of the area for the more 'stealable' cars and just giving the owners a few tips. One of the cops used to have an STi and spent 5mins gettin excited about the points he got when owning one, the other one had a well tuned mini-cooper so both were interrested in modified and performance cars.

As an aside I asked him about trackers, he said not to advertise you have one by stickers - your average joy riding thug wouldnt have a clue anyway so wouldnt deter him and your steal to order thief would probably have a way to find and disable them. But he said they do often sit on Mway in the volvo monitoring the tracker thingy and looking for a chase and have got a fair few.

Martin
Old 14 December 2005, 10:39 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Just to point out, they did infact say they WERE NOT traffic officers, they were the guys in the ARV and they DIDNT do a breath test either.

Funkyspider, if you drive around Lancaster and you have a decat etc and these guys see you, they will pull you over. Like I said, a guy who I see about in a white RA (I think) with red mudflaps on went past and they said he would be getting the same! Incidentally, what do you drive as Im sure I will have seen you about town?

Also, at the time they first saw me, I was actually parked up, indicator on with the engine running on a double yellow line waiting for my girlfriend to come out of a shop as I was picking her up. They pulled up behind me and indicated for me to move on (fair enough), they then followed me for about 1 minute before actually putting on the party lights.

Last edited by Jay_bee; 14 December 2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 14 December 2005, 12:24 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

I got pulled in my Terzo (with a full decat scoobysport zorst) for sounding like I was speeding. Got to blow in the bag and take my black rat stickers off the number plate and sent on my way
Old 14 December 2005, 01:02 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

the simple answer is, if it has an "E" mark on it, then it is legal.

isnt that the ruling?
Old 14 December 2005, 01:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely no problem at all with the Police giving those with 'I'm a ******** loud exhausts' a hard time ...................

The idea of a silencer is to SILENCE ....... NOT to rattle the windows in my house!!

However, the PPP backbox is luuuuuvvvvverly

Pete
Old 14 December 2005, 01:29 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION

I'm over here in dublin and have always had good cars since 17 til now 23. From GTI'S GOLFS, CORROLAS ETC, 325I SPORT 525I SPORT BMW'S, VOLVO T5'S ETC and my experience of cops here is exactly the same as yours mate. And they wonder why they aren't respected. From illegal searches to lies, to making threats as in arrest for drug search in station when clearly never involved in that type of thing or evidence found etc etc.
Old 14 December 2005, 01:39 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Thats fair enough Pete, but mines one of those 'I'm not a ******** loud exhausts'...................

Heard of double glazing?
Old 14 December 2005, 02:58 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

i've had a problem with traffic cops i got pulled over for going down a access only road at 9pm at night! now i have a seicento so its not loud and its not modified i only have wheel trims for god sakes! he gave me a 30 quid fine and a producer, how hard is he eh picking on a girl of 19, I know you can say i was stupid going down there but my mum was ill at the time and i was trying to get home quick i never speeded or anything. shows he was just being a ****.
Old 14 December 2005, 03:53 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that 'access only except after 9pm or when your mums ill' I see where you're coming from, ACAB !
Old 14 December 2005, 03:58 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Absolutely no problem at all with the Police giving those with 'I'm a ******** loud exhausts' a hard time ...................

The idea of a silencer is to SILENCE ....... NOT to rattle the windows in my house!!

However, the PPP backbox is luuuuuvvvvverly

Pete
You claimed previously you dont like or approve of modifications??? PPP is still a mod even though fitted by subaru. Had a change of heart have we???
Old 14 December 2005, 04:02 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I must be lucky, im 25 and had my scoob 2 and half years and never had any problerms.
Old 14 December 2005, 04:03 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
i've had a problem with traffic cops i got pulled over for going down a access only road at 9pm at night! now i have a seicento so its not loud and its not modified i only have wheel trims for god sakes! he gave me a 30 quid fine and a producer, how hard is he eh picking on a girl of 19, I know you can say i was stupid going down there but my mum was ill at the time and i was trying to get home quick i never speeded or anything. shows he was just being a ****.

Was your car yellow?
Old 14 December 2005, 04:06 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Was your car yellow?
lol no it was red got wrote off two weeks ago!
Old 14 December 2005, 04:32 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonGawthorpe
Strange that Mark, neither have I. Owned Scoobys for the last 3 years (since I was 21) and never been pulled over.

Makes be wonder, all these innocent people getting harassed on this thread, maybe just maybe, they were doing something wrong?? No, sorry, how silly of me, im sure they are all the perfect drivers that they think they are!!

Si

I did nothing wrong i watched my speed all the time not my fault he was bored and had nothing else better to do. i had a seicento which was not modified.
Old 14 December 2005, 04:36 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

As an aside do policemen have to wear seat belts? Im talking about front and back seat passengers.........Followed a car load to a football ground the other day and not one was wearing a belt. They were in a rental renault scenic thing .....

Did think about asking if they thought they were setting a good example when we pulled up next to eachother at the lights, but decided it probably wasn't a good idea.

Gary
Old 14 December 2005, 04:36 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonGawthorpe
Strange that Mark, neither have I. Owned Scoobys for the last 3 years (since I was 21) and never been pulled over.

Makes be wonder, all these innocent people getting harassed on this thread, maybe just maybe, they were doing something wrong?? No, sorry, how silly of me, im sure they are all the perfect drivers that they think they are!!

Si

I hope that zip works on your flame suit!!

Old 14 December 2005, 04:42 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Just to add I have been pulled twice and both times about my illegal plate by the same guy. Basically I was told he and his mates would be keeping an eye out for me so get it changed or loose it. It wasn't worth the hassle so I changed it. Not been stopped since and shouldnt think I will be.

Gary
Old 14 December 2005, 04:50 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Well hopefully you get done for it being too loud, the amount of chav Impreza drivers that have stupidly loud exhausts, its about time they started getting picked off for them.
Old 14 December 2005, 05:05 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Well hopefully you get done for it being too loud, the amount of chav Impreza drivers that have stupidly loud exhausts, its about time they started getting picked off for them.
FPMSL... So from my original post you have deducted that Im a Chav?

I own my own company, I’m 30 y/o, have a nice house, I don’t wear or own any jewellery/Burberry/tracksuits/baseball caps etc, my girlfriend doesn’t own any "chav" accessories, we don’t claim any benefits, steal, do drugs, park outside MacDonald’s with tunes blasting out, intimidate the elderly, we aren’t on ASBO's () etc etc...

Oh and as for the car, I use it on the strip for straight-line events (see the results for SSII), the exhaust has been declared to my insurers which I pay extra for and is actually there to increase performance. Oh yeah, how exactly would I "get done" as you put it?

Last edited by Jay_bee; 14 December 2005 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Persecuted by the police?